Ramblings about rod power and preferences

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ramblings about rod power and preferences

Post by Obz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:40 am

Since joining the forum I have noticed that given the same application I prefer a heavier power rod than most members. Ill use a H action rod for a 3/16oz tube when bass are being finicky so I can jack them the instant I feel a pick up. In reviews I hear authors talking about how a rod loads on the cast but I'm generally more concerned about how well I can pop a jig off a weed with just a flick of the wrist. The only time I notice inaccuracy casting/pitching is when my rod is overloaded. I'll throw a 3/8oz jig or Texas rig on heavy power rod but it feels like the upper limit(it is rare I go even1/2oz bottom contact unless I am punching). I also like to use the heaviest line a presentation will alllow, I don't really see the need to use less than 12# test on a baitcaster period. My go to topwater rod is St.Croix 7MH, which is heavy for a MH power rod and I see people often recommending M power rods for topwater. Using 3/8-1/2oz poppers and walkers I couldn't see busting a fish on a long cast stepping down the power or length of my rod. Many of the lakes I fish up here in Northern WI/MN are clear and weedy so maybe its a cover thing? this might sound weird but maybe the species of weeds are stronger because they have to survive the frigid winters? Its interesting to me that the average size of a bass in my neck is smaller than elsewheres of our country and I use heavier gear. I'm curious if anyone has similar preferences and if not why do you think the lighter stuff works better for you?

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Ramblings about rod power and preferences

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:40 am

It depends on the lake your fishing and how thick the vegetation is. I do like to fish heavier rods when going to a local lake that is thick with milfoil. Don't know that i would want to try and cast a 3/16 jig on a heavy rod, wouldn't load the rod when trying to cast. If I'm going to a lake that is much lighter on vegetation I will bring more finesse gear especially if the bite is tough.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Right on. I still use egg beaters for finess gear. I'm afraid to start on the BFS stuff$$$. The lightest lures I throw are weightless tubes. I can do a 3/16oz tube on 16# fluorocarbon on my sv103/F669 superdestroyer no prob. The rod is a broomstick and I love it! I got an FMJ in the mail I feel like it is going to be the "one".

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:45 pm

I have similar thoughts. People tend to recommend lighter rod powers on this forum it seems. One I've seen several times where guys are using 2 power mbr's for jigs up to 1/4oz. I use a 4 power for 3/16 on up. But again, roll as you will 8-)

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:08 pm

I’ve used the XX Perfect Pitch and the FMJ to throw Grand Siglett’s (1/4oz small topwater) with success. I used to prefer lighter power rods, and I still wish I had my Rattle Viper Technical Game, but now I definitely prefer rods with a lot more backbone. You can definitely use them to throw lighter stuff effectively, it just takes a few tries to get the hang of it. Maybe not with as much distance overall, but it works. And it’s especially helpful if you don’t have the budget of a lot of enthusiast folks :D

I also only ever use 20-30lb braid for everything, so that small diameter line helps a little as well.

surf n turf
Angler
Angler

Post by surf n turf » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:02 pm

My arsenal is cluttered with various MH and H power rods. Almost all of them are for bottom contact, slop, and deep cranks. All my mediums are for weightless plastics, smaller cranks, jerks, and topwater. And one ml for dropshot. The only reason I prefer a stiffer rod is for working jigs and plastics through weeds and ripping cranks through weeds. Once a fish is on I wish they were all medium moderate action rods unless I'm in heavy slop. It's more fun to fight fish on rods that bend.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:26 am

Nah, not my style. To me fishing is fighting and playing the fish. That's the fun in it, which is lost when over powering the fish. It's like shooting a helpless animal, point blank range. That aside, I've lost FAR too many fish using a heavier or stiffer rod than the situation called for. I also mostly fish open water, and indeed enjoy letting the fish run till she's just flat done. I remember going on a guided Coho trip using heavy powered rods. I thought to myself, what's the point. Next time I went out my father in law showed me how it's done with medium powered rods. So much more fun and exciting. If fishing heavy cover then obviously it's called for, but you certainly won't catch me trout fishing with anything other than an ultra light to light.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:19 am

Cool. Cool. I definitely like getting the fish into the backbone because to feels like the safest place to have them. I get frustrated if I can't "work" the bait the way I want and that kills the whole vibe. I guess I could be the one who is being short sided assuming most guys fish similar situations or could have underestimated the enthusiasm of this forum. Alot of guys prob have a handful of rods for every lake they fish. I'm more like my 6th high end rod should cover it for now:) but am probably also on the path to the deep dark side! I'm definitely not trying to set the hook and skip bass back to the boat but I like to be able to dig a good sized fish out of the grass or move them away from cover. Thanks for your other tech help in the past hogsticker;) your solid. I'm going to try to catch some Coho on lake superior soon here, they are delicious!!
Last edited by Obz on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:29 am

Thanks for the chat and feedback gang. In reg social circles, even fishing circles, I feel like I'm the only one who geeks as hard as I do on gear. It's nice to speak freely with other afflicted peeps.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:31 am

I am with Hogsticker - but I also from across the pond.
In general, US anglers seem to use more heavy powered rods and thicker line vs EU anglers. There may be a North - South divide as well due to weed etc. but is it my impression that “lighter tackle” is the typical choice in southern EU.
Here, at least in my book, “standard” trout fishing call for UL tackle. For large sea-run brown trout (my biggest around 8-9 lbs) I use UL to ML rods, mostly the light stuff, and relatively thin line (eg. 10lb braid, 6-8 lb mono). For atlantic salmon (biggest 18.3 lbs) mostly M to MH rods and 15 lb mono. Though, if the water is wild such as a raging Norwegian river I do go for heavier gear and reels with more line capacity.
A lot of musky tackle has made its way to the EU and has (almost) transformed lure fishing for pike with XXH powered rods, 100-200 gram lures, and thick braided line being popular in some areas. I have tried that style of fishing several times and simply do not like it as much as the “light” approach. With the heavy stuff, even a 20+ lb pike can be brought boat side in seconds with very little actual “fight”. Still, I recognise that large lures may increase the chance of catching a big fish...
I seem to recall an Uncut Angling video on YouTube where the guy states that more or less any freshwater fish can be caught using light tackle and 10 lb braid. I tend to agree.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:51 am

Maybe in open water...
This is the way.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Nah, not my style. To me fishing is fighting and playing the fish. That's the fun in it, which is lost when over powering the fish. It's like shooting a helpless animal, point blank range. That aside, I've lost FAR too many fish using a heavier or stiffer rod than the situation called for. I also mostly fish open water, and indeed enjoy letting the fish run till she's just flat done. I remember going on a guided Coho trip using heavy powered rods. I thought to myself, what's the point. Next time I went out my father in law showed me how it's done with medium powered rods. So much more fun and exciting. If fishing heavy cover then obviously it's called for, but you certainly won't catch me trout fishing with anything other than an ultra light to light.
I agree with the enjoyment of fighting fish. I think the reason I use heavier rods is to combat line stretch/bowing (I only use br as I'd for frogs). The longer rods we are using now days is helping with this problem and I can go a power lighter in some cases by going with longer rod.