Long spinning rod help for swim baits

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
frankdi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Long spinning rod help for swim baits

Post by frankdi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm looking for a longer spinning rod 8'6 to 9' in a MH to Hvy action to throw 1/2-1 oz swim baits like Kietech 3.8-4.8's. I don't want a steelhead rod, the handles are too long and the actions too soft. I have been looking at the squid rods on eBay and they seem to have shorter handles. Does anyone have any experience with these squid rods or have any suggestions on something else. I have been using the gloomis bronze back 7''7" spinning rod with a 3000 size Stradic with 20 lb braid and it works well. Something similar but a foot or more longer to make longer casts. I fish Lake Erie open water and longer casts would be a benefit. Thanks

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Long spinning rod help for swim baits

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:51 pm

frankdi wrote:I'm looking for a longer spinning rod 8'6 to 9' in a MH to Hvy action to throw 1/2-1 oz swim baits like Kietech 3.8-4.8's. I don't want a steelhead rod, the handles are too long and the actions too soft. I have been looking at the squid rods on eBay and they seem to have shorter handles. Does anyone have any experience with these squid rods or have any suggestions on something else. I have been using the gloomis bronze back 7''7" spinning rod with a 3000 size Stradic with 20 lb braid and it works well. Something similar but a foot or more longer to make longer casts. I fish Lake Erie open water and longer casts would be a benefit. Thanks
Don't know of anything that long. I assume you are looking for higher end equipment, maybe look into some surf related stuff??? Good idea though, my wife uses a 7'6" MH spinning rod that chunks tubes and keitech's a long ways.

There was a youtuber who was using heavy duty surf rods with 40-50 size spinning reels (not sure the line size) for A-rigs while striper fishing. Said he could throw them ridiculously far and still set the hook with an 8' plus rod.

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Kind of looking for the same thing but for throwing the LC flash minnows in the surf. My quest has led me to some of the JDM seabass rods. Specifically the MB shadow pangea and the Tailwalk high tide TZ. I know Scooby Doo has experience with the Tailwalk, maybe he will comment. In the meantime I will probably invest in a JDM seabass rod of some sort. Also taking a hard look at some of Daiwa's AGS seabass rods but I am not sure of their actions and if the AGS guides offer any advantage over the titanium Torzites on the others. I feel that this is an under served market segment here in the USDM.

frankdi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by frankdi » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:33 am

Ok now we are making progress. Checked out some sea bass rods on eBay and they look right. A lot are reasonably priced like this one. Rated 10 to 50 grams and a decent sized handle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-SEABASS- ... SwpDdU-V-i
They have a lot to choose from in different makes. If someone on here has used one and has feedback that would be a great help.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:04 am

I've had my eye on these for a while with similar intentions. Go from mid range to high end. From everything I read and have seen on YouTube, they look like the real deal. http://www.apiajapan.com. Use the google translation if you choose to browse their site.

Florian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Florian » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:44 pm

If you need more info on rods check out Henry Gilbeys page. He has plenty of reviews of JDM Seabass rods and some european rods on his website. His blog is also worth a read, but centered around his UK seabass fishing.

https://www.henry-gilbey.com/fishing-tackle/

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:23 am

My cousin and I got a pair of suzuki rods over the winter: the Labrax AGS 9'2m, and the Dialuna 8'6ml. Though both are listed as "fast," they are more a med-fast action...designed for smallish treble baits in the surf. Plenty of backbone, but definitely not a true fast tip section. A huge improvement over any salmon/steelhead rod, I think they will do the job you describe.

Personally, I like my Dialuna better than the Labrax. Seems a little crisper taper...but the AGS guides on the Labrax are sweet!

frankdi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by frankdi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:12 am

Sounds great. Can you let me know where you got he Suzuki rods?

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:55 am

frankdi wrote:Sounds great. Can you let me know where you got he Suzuki rods?
Ebay! Check sellers with close to 100% ratings and imo ebay is as safe as any dealer.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:32 pm

frankdi wrote:Ok now we are making progress. Checked out some sea bass rods on eBay and they look right. A lot are reasonably priced like this one. Rated 10 to 50 grams and a decent sized handle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-SEABASS- ... SwpDdU-V-i
They have a lot to choose from in different makes. If someone on here has used one and has feedback that would be a great help.
That's light! At 155 grams (5.46 ounces) it weighs the same as my 8' Zillion flipping rod.
This is the way.

frankdi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by frankdi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Reason 162 I have no problems with eBay. Been using it since 1999. You meant shiimano didn't you. Not Suzuki?

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:04 am

frankdi wrote:Reason 162 I have no problems with eBay. Been using it since 1999. You meant shiimano didn't you. Not Suzuki?
"Suzuki" is Japanese for "Sea Bass."

The Dialuna is a Shimano rod, I believe they just came out with the 2nd gen in 2018.

The Labrax is Daiwa, which is the one with AGS guides. Both are mid-tier Suzuki rods, in that 200-300ish ballpark.

Suzuki rods encompass the whole range of 8'6 to 10' "light game" surf rods in Japan. Another category of rods you should check out are the "Hirame" rods, or Flatfish series from different manufacturers. These tend to be a little faster in action, bc they do use single hook presentations for flounder more often than sea bass.

frankdi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by frankdi » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:56 pm

Wow so much knowledge on this board. Thanks again for your help. I reached out to Henry and he responded. Hopefully he will help me find the right rod since he has used so many of them.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:53 am

frankdi wrote:Wow so much knowledge on this board. Thanks again for your help.
I watch a LOT of youtube :)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:31 am

I went with a 9 foot tailwalk high tide tz for a wide range of offerings...
I can throw 6" savage gear line throughs and pretty much anything up to that.

One thing that is worth noting that Reason mentioned.

Small trebles.

They have power to pull hard but it develops 3 feet down the blank. So pushing a 5/0 worm hook that's a heavy gauge...ain't happening....something to consider.

I bought mine direct from tailwalk and their facebook page...I bought 3 different TZ rods from them.

sold one....kept 2...the one I sold the owner broke the tip on ....the two I had had warped tips (they formed a set off by over half an inch....visible to the naked eye) It took a full 12 months and about 20 fb messeges to get them to send replacements. (And I dealt with the owner).....Soooooo yeah.....Nice rods great components....very light in weight.....beautiful guide layouts that launch...I like the guide layouts better than 90% of what's out there. But can't vouche for quality and consistency.