Diawa zillion rods? Crankbait rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Diawa zillion rods? Crankbait rods?

Post by Matt_3479 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:36 pm

Looking at a used excellent condition zillion 7’2” medium heavy crankbait rod? Any opinions on the zillion rods

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Diawa zillion rods? Crankbait rods?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:12 pm

I had the 8ft MH glass crankbait roder. It weighed like 7oz but felt light. It was pretty balanced for a glass rod. Had a soft tip with a solid backbone.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:45 pm

I love all the Zillion and Tatula rods. I have 9 (7 tats, 2 zil) and they're all excellent rods. I don't have that particular rod in either series, but I have both the 7'1" mhrb and 7'2" mhrb-g (glass) Tatulas.

The carbon rod is pretty stiff and well balanced with a 7-8oz reel. It's powerful, but has a mod-fast taper. I use it for spinnerbaits and topwaters primarily, but it's great for squarebills and medium divers as well as swim jigs, chatterbaits, etc. 16# mono is the sweet spot for me with that rod. Even with mono it's really sensitive, too. I've never fished either the 7'2" version in either line, so I don't know if the action is slower or not. I've always been baffled by the fact that there are two practically identical Tatula rods, the only difference on paper is one inch of length, so I'd love to find out first hand what the real difference is, but anyway...

The glass version (if that's the one you're looking at) is a killer moving bait rod. It's tip heavy, yeah, but you'll have the tip pointed at the water, anyway. It's remarkably light and sensitive for a glass composite rod. It has a buttery smooth action, but not at the expense of backbone. It's one powerful stick. It can handle it all, from chatterbaits (the bait I think it was designed for) to deep divers, you name it. I use mine for swim jigs, especially the Keitech model 3+swing impact fat 4.8, straight pull topwaters, any kind of 3/8 and up crank from Jackall Askas to Duo G87's. You can cast pretty much any hardbait intended for bass with it. 3/8-2oz is the realistic range for it. I think 40# braid best suits that rod

Both rods have the same squid style reel seat as all the Tatulas and most of the Zillions, which are extremely comfortable and offer plenty of contact with the blank.
Out of all these rods, I've never had a single issue whatsoever. No crooked guides or sloppy construction, no breaks or failures of any kind. They're tough, sensitive, tailor made for any technique you could want, and from my personal experience and many others I've talked to and read reviews from, they are durable, fun to fish, and just all around great rods. I don't know what specifically you plan to use it for, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.
This is the way.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Picked it up this morning and it’s an excellent looking rod, fantastic feeling rod but it feels way more like a fast then moderate fast or moderate. It hits the back bone of the rod real quick. He brother a heavy fast and 2 medium heavy fast and then the medium heavy regular which is there cranking rod and it feels the same as the other two, more like a fast. The price was way too good to pass up so I picked it up but I’m not sure if it’s what I’m looking for. I figured at least I could turn a profit and try something else as like I mentioned it was an awesome price.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:34 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:Picked it up this morning and it’s an excellent looking rod, fantastic feeling rod but it feels way more like a fast then moderate fast or moderate. It hits the back bone of the rod real quick. He brother a heavy fast and 2 medium heavy fast and then the medium heavy regular which is there cranking rod and it feels the same as the other two, more like a fast. The price was way too good to pass up so I picked it up but I’m not sure if it’s what I’m looking for. I figured at least I could turn a profit and try something else as like I mentioned it was an awesome price.
With FC or mono, you'll be good. The backbone cones in handy setting the hook on deep cranks

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:10 pm

ccass wrote:
Matt_3479 wrote:Picked it up this morning and it’s an excellent looking rod, fantastic feeling rod but it feels way more like a fast then moderate fast or moderate. It hits the back bone of the rod real quick. He brother a heavy fast and 2 medium heavy fast and then the medium heavy regular which is there cranking rod and it feels the same as the other two, more like a fast. The price was way too good to pass up so I picked it up but I’m not sure if it’s what I’m looking for. I figured at least I could turn a profit and try something else as like I mentioned it was an awesome price.
With FC or mono, you'll be good. The backbone cones in handy setting the hook on deep cranks
I’m looking more of a lipless, squarebill and shallow crank, medium depth at most. That’s what makes me a little worried

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:11 pm

ccass wrote:I had the 8ft MH glass crankbait roder. It weighed like 7oz but felt light. It was pretty balanced for a glass rod. Had a soft tip with a solid backbone.
Did it have an ACS reel seat?
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:34 pm

poisonokie wrote:
ccass wrote:I had the 8ft MH glass crankbait roder. It weighed like 7oz but felt light. It was pretty balanced for a glass rod. Had a soft tip with a solid backbone.
Did it have an ACS reel seat?
Im pretty sure it did. Don't remember exactly

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:50 pm

ccass wrote:
Bummer. Deal breaker. I almost ordered one before I looked at the handle on TW. I had forgotten about that. It might be comfortable with a round reel, though. Hmmmm... What reel did you mount on it? Was it comfortable? Thanks for the rapid response!
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:38 pm

poisonokie wrote:
ccass wrote:
Bummer. Deal breaker. I almost ordered one before I looked at the handle on TW. I had forgotten about that. It might be comfortable with a round reel, though. Hmmmm... What reel did you mount on it? Was it comfortable? Thanks for the rapid response!
I used a Tatula, Conquest and an Antares. I never had any comfort problems. It's a tip down presentation so, not a big deal for me.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:47 pm

I'm thinking a Luna 103. What the heck, I'll go for it. I do like that reel seat with a t3 and a tdx, so maybe a round reel will be comfortable since it sits above the bottom of the rod like those. Just hope it has the line capacity with 30# braid.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:41 am

Mine is 8.0oz and isn't 8' long, but 7'11". It is balanced though, at least with a 10oz reel, and has a great tip and huge backbone.
It's completely different from my other glass Daiwas.
One, it has a full grip and an ACS reel seat, possibly because:
Two, it doesn't appear to be a composite at all, but totally glass, because the blank is super thick in the lower section.
Three, it only has one double-footed guide, and it's much smaller than the stripper guide on any of the other Zillions or Tatulas.
Four, it doesn't have a hook keeper. It came with a Fuji EZ Keeper. Which is great, I wish they all did, frankly.

It's an interesting stick. That seat is really comfortable with a small round reel. I can't wait to put it through its paces out on the water. I'm thinking it could be good for big straight-pull topwaters. There may be a Deps NZ crawler in my future...
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:20 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Mine is 8.0oz and isn't 8' long, but 7'11". It is balanced though, at least with a 10oz reel, and has a great tip and huge backbone.
It's completely different from my other glass Daiwas.
One, it has a full grip and an ACS reel seat, possibly because:
Two, it doesn't appear to be a composite at all, but totally glass, because the blank is super thick in the lower section.
Three, it only has one double-footed guide, and it's much smaller than the stripper guide on any of the other Zillions or Tatulas.
Four, it doesn't have a hook keeper. It came with a Fuji EZ Keeper. Which is great, I wish they all did, frankly.

It's an interesting stick. That seat is really comfortable with a small round reel. I can't wait to put it through its paces out on the water. I'm thinking it could be good for big straight-pull topwaters. There may be a Deps NZ crawler in my future...
I really liked mine. I just wanted to experiment with a custom super long crank rod.