St Croix LE for dropshot

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

St Croix LE for dropshot

Post by bigfruits » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Hello,

Ive been sitting on a damaged St. Croix LE rod that I plan on sending in. I'd like to trade it for a LE spinning rod, ML power for light dropshot.

Would you recommend the ES610MLXF? The Mojo version is labeled the "drop shot/finesse" rod. Does the LE version share the same characteristics?

The TT review of the ES70MLF has me second guessing. I have a NRX 852 that i love for heavier dropshot, looking for something a bit lighter in power.

Thanks!
-Z

Pin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: St Croix LE for dropshot

Post by Pin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:31 pm

I own the LE 7' ML from back when the blanks were brown and had the frosted reel seats. It is a great DS rod, the upper 20% of the upper rod is very lively, then shuts down quickly. Don't know if the same action is found in the current ML blanks. But having read the archives there was a very positive review on a LE 7'6" ML. Maybe that is worth considering if the extra length doesn't bother you.

surf n turf
Angler
Angler

Re: St Croix LE for dropshot

Post by surf n turf » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:17 am

The 6'10 ml/xf is the one I'd be looking at. It's got a beautiful taper and is much crisper and has a much better lightweight feel over even the LTB version of that taper. I haven't fished them but did the in store tests with all of them but with the new Legend X rod(same as LE).