Loomis JWR vs SBR

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Loomis JWR vs SBR

Post by slimjim1135 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:55 pm

Hoping you guys can help a Loomis noob out. Last summer I picked up an E6X 843C MBR on sale which I’ve loved. Now that the E6X’s are on clearance to make way for the new models, I wanted to pick another up. I’m between the 812C SBR and the 803C JWR. I’m not sure how different they are, as the specs seem to be pretty similar. The length, line rating, lure rating, and action are all pretty close, so without fishing each side by side, I can’t really tell which I should go with. I’ll be mostly using it for spinnerbaits and 3/8 chatter baits around wood, but I’d also like to throw a topwater from time to time. Can someone help explain the biggest differences between the JWR and SBR series, given their similar length, lure rating, line rating and action?

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Loomis JWR vs SBR

Post by Hulkster » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:46 pm

I would like to know this too, since I use a JWR for spinnerbaits all the time. its a spinning model (JWR852) but found it works very well for spinner baits.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:30 pm

I don't know if this will be much help, but I owned the old sbr 812c back in like '04. The sbr's were stiff per say...like the bcr's of the time which were also painted blanks. The sbr performed like a jwr before they were popular. I think they faded for a reason, but I wish you could just pop in to bass pro and check the action by slapping it against your palm. Definitely stiffer with the upper section not linear....more like the first 2.5ft bent altogether. Personally I'd go mbr, but when sales happen why not buy the lineup?!

NHBull
Angler
Angler

Post by NHBull » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:40 am

I have both and the biggest difference is in the tip. I use the JWR for jig, worms, and bottom baits.
The SBR is great for moving baits.
The JWR could work for moving baits but not sure you would be happy using the SBR for bottom fishing
Hope that helps
Son of "Tun"

slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Post by slimjim1135 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:23 pm

I tried them both in store. The SBR felt a lot softer and like you could really sling a spinnerbait across the lake. I ultimately did decide on the JWR though, because, like NHBull said, it felt more versatile, and I preferred the stiffer tip and heavier power. I'll be throwing shorter distances around branches, so I think it'll do a little better for me. Thanks for all the help guys!