Edge inshore 6'6" light

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Edge inshore 6'6" light

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:08 am

Yes - I ordered one as well- even without the model number -could not help myself at that price and whatever model it is I will find a use for it .
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:22 pm

When I bought mine, the description said titanium frame guides with zirconia rings. Can someone confirm that this is correct, because the edge rods site says fuji gunsmoke stainless frames with SiC rings on the inshore models. Here's the link:
http://edgerods.com/isr
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:51 pm

First strike has SS, black Widow has titanium

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:20 pm

TK_duluthbass wrote:First strike has SS, black Widow has titanium
This is neither First Strike or Black Widow. The Inshore is a separate series with different components. It says fuji gunsmoke stainless frames with SiC guides right there on the Edge rods site. Whoever bought and already received this specific model should have had hang tags on the rod describing the guides.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:51 pm

Nevermind, mine was on the porch when I got home this afternoon. It does indeed have Fuji K gunsmoke stainless frames with SiC rings! On the downside, I don't like the seat....so it will be listed for sale shortly. :doh:

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:00 pm

You guys are killing me. I have been having a battle with myself to keep from buying one. I had hoped that they would be gone soon. I have two NFC blanks in my rod building closet now and another in process, so I need this rod like the proverbial hole in the head. Come on guys buy up that last few and save me some money. Help a fellow TTer out.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:31 am

MIne arrived friday. Feels damn fine and I immediately threw on a tatula and took a few swings.
Loads up nicely with 1/4 spoon and feels very nice in hand.
Just when I thought I had all of the rods that I would need now I may have to look for another Edge...
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:47 am

Fished mine on Friday. Paired with the Concept Z reel, 30lbs white braid, and 10lbs fluorocarbon leader. Fantastic rod! Fished a 3inch ned rig and caught 15-20 bass up to 4lbs. Really love everything about this rod so far. Very sensitive. It will be a great inshore speckled trout rod too. Can’t wait to get it to the coast!

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:47 pm

Ya terrible rods! If anyone has an Edge they want to part with I could use more! :D

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:08 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:Ya terrible rods! If anyone has an Edge they want to part with I could use more! :D
Hahaha! Yeah, been throwing a Ned rig with mine almost exclusively. Great rod for that technique.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Well, after talking myself out of ordering one....I started really regretting it. Well, one popped up again on Sierra this afternoon and I bought it. 8-) . Really stoked. Now to find a 6lb line casting reel to put on it. Also, Sierra has one of the pacemaker 6'10"ml's for $129.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:47 am

Got mine...not impressed and it's going back.

Blank is nice, guides are fuji SIC, and I love the real seat...well what's wrong?

The guide workmanship and placement are worse than any rod I own. Hell, worse than any rod I've looked at in a BPS.

- The guides are very crooked. Almost all single foot guides are off by 10 degrees or more. I could live with them if not for my next complaint.

- The guide placement is amateur hour. They are so misplaced that with a moderate flex in the blank, the line jumps under the blank in 3 points. This blank needed at least one more running guide and a completely different layout. I have held it next to other rods on my rack and it doesn't line up with any other rod with fuji guides. I have no idea where they got the layout...well, actually if I turn it over like a spinning rod, the guides produce a nice cure. Perhaps someone was reading the wrong spacing diagram.

Furthermore, I am simply just confused with NFC. The blank says LMX....I always thought FS= IM blank and BW= HM blank.

-More questions, the Delta/LMX blanks from the NFC factory come unsanded and with the exposed wrapping texture. These are marked LMX but are sanded. What blank do I have???

-Is EDGE building sub par rods to sell off to vendors as closeouts?

I took part in kickstarter for the first strike rods. There were several issues then and hoped they would figure things out. I continued buying blanks as they are very good and the 50% deal is a steal. As for their rods, I just don't get what they do.

So many more questions and things I could discuss but I'm over it and don't want to come off bashing. I simply am frustrated because they have a great components, a great name behind them in Gary, and yet they can't produce anything for a competitive price and or of solid build quality. Darn shame!
IMG_20180414_45977.jpg
Cost saving layout? NFC left
IMG_20180414_45977.jpg (8.01 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
Cost saving.layout?...just add one more guide and make a quality rod.
IMG_20180414_38516.jpg
Crooked guides...NFC right
IMG_20180414_38516.jpg (11.23 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
Crooked guides...not horrible, but for msrp of $399...I'msending back at $160
IMG_20180414_27415.jpg
Line under blank...way under!
IMG_20180414_27415.jpg (8.99 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
Really sad to waste the build time and not do it correctly. You can hear the line jump the blank as you move the rod right to left under load.

Again, I am not sure what these Sierra rods are....I assumed they were IM and simply mis marked and using wrong photos. Now in hand, like I said above, I have more questions than answers. If I ordered a black widow, I would be expecting HM. Edge really needs someone to organize and focus their going to market strategy. I no longer have any idea what there business model, product mix, and or goals are.

I thought it was top of the line blanks and high end rods. This ain't it and this is probably the last time I waiste time and money hoping they have figured it out.

Edit: I got the 6'9" ML

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:59 am

I think the rods Sierra Trading has are factory seconds and returns from Edge. Mine had an obvious guide replacement which had a smaller id ring. Lots of products on there are seconds, but at least they are marked 2nds... I have a finesse first strike casting rod I got from Temple Fork and the line hits the blank too, it is frustrating

floriduhfish
Angler
Angler

Post by floriduhfish » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:32 am

Sorry to hear that, i would be bummed out too. I saw this thread and got tackle warehouse to price match the edges website first strike rods price for 225. The rod I have is the flip 787 extra heavy. Its a nice rod blank is Lmx. The handle is cool being carbon, but a little short because of the combination of the shorter handle and light weight material used for the it, the rod is tip heavy. I use it for frogs and swimjigs so the tip is usually pointed down so its not much of a problem. Also one guide is not straight. Its ont the end of the world. I really like the rod, but for 400 dollars retail I feel all the guides should be straight.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 am

Well, my light inshore showed up today broken in half...rod tube was bent to hell. Second broken rod from them this month :( . I'm going to email them some pics of their thin, crumpled tube. It's a combo of their inadequate packing of the rod and UPS's mishandling of it.