Edge inshore 6'6" light

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Edge inshore 6'6" light

Post by KP Duty » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:42 pm

I've been tossing around buying my first bfs rod. I now have 9 edge rods (since december anyway) and have been buying them up since temple fork and now Sierra trading has had them on clearance. Anyway...this is a 6'6" NFC IM blank with what I consider the best reel seat made (weible). I believe its rated 4-8lb/xfast. I honestly am not sure if or how much I'd use this for bass....but a badass crappie caster peaks my interest. The NFc IM medium and ml blanks seem true XF unlike the mh and heavy which seem medium fast so this gives me some confidence it's not a noodle. I do creek fish, but I question whether a light power would allow me to lift or drag fish on the bank
Thoughts?

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/templ ... d-rec-prod

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Edge inshore 6'6" light

Post by Winstondry » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:09 pm

Wow KP, wish I had seen the Sierratradingpost sale before now. I've been buying them up when they were 50% off on their website but this price is even better!

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:26 am

I guess I'll spring on monday....if they are gone before advice I'm kicking somebody's arse!
Last edited by KP Duty on Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:14 am

Winstondry wrote:Wow KP, wish I had seen the Sierratradingpost sale before now. I've been buying them up when they were 50% off on their website but this price is even better!
Btw....Sierra didn't get many in and their shipping skills are the worst. I ordered 3 rods simultasneusely, and the 7' m black widow showed up broken and the 787 flip didn't show up at all and they just refunded me yesterday (ordered on the 2nd). I was so pissed to receive the BW broken due to improper packing. They didn't tape the rod to the tube and the tip broke due to being jarred in the tube. There just aren't many of these (edge rods) around now. Dudes are paying top dollar for old weible Loomis rods just because of these seats
. I've got news....this seat and gary's patented blank angle are still made with top notch blanks....maybe not for long.

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:19 am

I got a Fast Strike 7’6 xh from Sierra Trading and like it a lot, but the 3rd eye from the top was obviously replaced with a guide that is slightly smaller than the original. I’m guessing Sierra Trading got it like that from Edge and It was a returned rod that damaged in shipping. I keep hoping that my 25% discount codes will work on one of Fantasistas. Had my eye on them for awhile now

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:35 am

I’ve also bought 4 Temple Fork rods from them and I like them all a lot. 2 crankin rods. A 7’6” ml spin rod I use for hair jigs and a musky rod. I think I got a Villain gen1 7’3” heavy from them too, which is a sweet rod. It’s one of the sites that I’ve got my best deals from. It takes a lot of checking in to get the deals and they don’t have a ton of fishing stuff which is why I think they fly under the radar. They have a good deal on an Okuma Air with the 25% off. Can’t convince myself to buy it though. The P-Line swimbaits they are pretty nice.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:00 pm

My 20/25% off code hasn't worked on any of the rods (even checked to see if it would work on the fantasistas they've had for a little while). No bueno. My code did work last week on the live target walking frogs and walking sunfish (they were 5 and change). Sierra is the spot. I buy 80% of my clothes and shoes there. I bought 2 pair of gore tex asolo boots for under $100 each last year. Bought 4 villain ml/moderate Rods for $64 last year as well. If I find any more bargains this year I may need to rent a storage unit. Lastly....the edge 8' heavy/moderate (first strike) I picked up is blowing my mind. F'ing light and the perfect taper/action for 1/2oz traps and up. I guess I don't understand why this venture didn't make it for Gary (I'm assuming they are leaving).

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Gary Loomis has been making a light X fast rod for decades, the first was the IM6 SJR700. The light wading rod is getting very popular in Texas, Castaway made a 5 ft 4 in version, Get Bit still had some last I looked at a great price. The length people use seems to have started at 7 ft, but has gotten shorter over time, 6 1/2 ft seems to be the max now. Deepwater crappie and smallmouth bass is what I've fished for most with my SJR700, it was a favorite of Stan Fagerstrom. I built a casting version back in the 80s, that carried a Shimano Bantam 100 EX, a reel designed back than for ulralight work, it ended up with a retiree who fished for LMB in the golf course's water traps he lives by.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:39 pm

spoonplugger1 wrote:Gary Loomis has been making a light X fast rod for decades, the first was the IM6 SJR700. The light wading rod is getting very popular in Texas, Castaway made a 5 ft 4 in version, Get Bit still had some last I looked at a great price. The length people use seems to have started at 7 ft, but has gotten shorter over time, 6 1/2 ft seems to be the max now. Deepwater crappie and smallmouth bass is what I've fished for most with my SJR700, it was a favorite of Stan Fagerstrom. I built a casting version back in the 80s, that carried a Shimano Bantam 100 EX, a reel designed back than for ulralight work, it ended up with a retiree who fished for LMB in the golf course's water traps he lives by.
Wow....a plethora of knowledge. Thanks.

Ajaxin
Angler
Angler

Post by Ajaxin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:56 pm

I picked up a Edge First Strike 6’ 10” finesse drop shot casting rod from Sierra two weeks ago. Can’t beat it for $150. Very similar to the 7’ Kistler helium ml I have.

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Ajaxin wrote:I picked up a Edge First Strike 6’ 10” finesse drop shot casting rod from Sierra two weeks ago. Can’t beat it for $150. Very similar to the 7’ Kistler helium ml I have.
I have the same rod, but I bought it through temple fork. It’s my first finesse casting rod. What reel are you putting on it?

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Your h3 kistler uses the same NFC IM blank, so no surprise there. Kistlers zbone uses the NFC hm blank that came on apparently 'some' of the black widow rods. I think Gary smokes reefer, because half the edge rod socks I have show the logo on the opposite side so they don't match
No biggie I guess....maybe Gary could hook this southern guy up with some northern lights, lol.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Not the exact rod, but I have the Edge Black Widow version 6'10" DSR 6101-1 paired with an Exist 1025 that is an awesome combo!

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:56 pm

Winstondry wrote:Not the exact rod, but I have the Edge Black Widow version 6'10" DSR 6101-1 paired with an Exist 1025 that is an awesome combo!
Is the handle on the black widow not the sheet?! Reminds me of my old lamiglas xmg 50 that I loved and lost in my divorce. Not sure what is going on with edge, but I'll pay $300 for another 8' heavy/mod if tw still has one in December.

Ajaxin
Angler
Angler

Post by Ajaxin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:37 am

TK_duluthbass wrote:
Ajaxin wrote:I picked up a Edge First Strike 6’ 10” finesse drop shot casting rod from Sierra two weeks ago. Can’t beat it for $150. Very similar to the 7’ Kistler helium ml I have.
I have the same rod, but I bought it through temple fork. It’s my first finesse casting rod. What reel are you putting on it?
I have it matched with an Alphas Air. Going to use it for drop shots and ned rigs.