Affordable bfs rods???

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
User avatar
Ish87
Angler
Angler
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:40 am

Affordable bfs rods???

Postby Ish87 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm looking to buy an affordable ml bfs rod. At the moment I'm using a shimano cantar ml baitcasting rod but I am looking into buying another rod but I also don't want to break the bank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1590
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby LowRange » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Kuying Topcaster ML.

User avatar
Ish87
Angler
Angler
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:40 am

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby Ish87 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:34 pm

LowRange wrote:Kuying Topcaster ML.


What do you use this rod for? I like throwing small soft plastics.

ss30378
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby ss30378 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:47 pm

What's affordable to you? $50, $100, $150???

User avatar
Ish87
Angler
Angler
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:40 am

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby Ish87 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:58 pm

ss30378 wrote:What's affordable to you? $50, $100, $150???


Like 120 tops. At this moment is all I can afford.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1590
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby LowRange » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:28 pm

Ish87 wrote:
LowRange wrote:Kuying Topcaster ML.


What do you use this rod for? I like throwing small soft plastics.


Small jigs and plastics. Mostly 1/8 oz heads and small plastics.

User avatar
Cristo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am
Location: The Dusty Basin

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby Cristo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:59 am

$120, good GOD man get a budget! :lol: Try to source some OG Aussie Omen Blacks. Freaking amazing rods. I had a 6'3" rated 1/6 to 1/2 oz and their 6'10" rated at 1/8-3/8oz. Fantastic lighter power rods!!
"I don't keep track of time, otherwise time will keep track of you" .....Cambo

User avatar
Cristo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am
Location: The Dusty Basin

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby Cristo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:00 pm

MB told be to get rid if them though.......
"I don't keep track of time, otherwise time will keep track of you" .....Cambo

Houndfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby Houndfish » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Ish87 wrote:
ss30378 wrote:What's affordable to you? $50, $100, $150???


Like 120 tops. At this moment is all I can afford.


A Phenix PHX-C682 will run you ~$180, but the older Recon 2 version that I have is a solid bfs rod.

User avatar
Ish87
Angler
Angler
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:40 am

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby Ish87 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Cristo wrote:$120, good GOD man get a budget! :lol: Try to source some OG Aussie Omen Blacks. Freaking amazing rods. I had a 6'3" rated 1/6 to 1/2 oz and their 6'10" rated at 1/8-3/8oz. Fantastic lighter power rods!!


lol it's kinda hard with two kids and and bills to pay. Maybe later on I can get a really nice rod. Just need something that works for now.

User avatar
Ish87
Angler
Angler
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:40 am

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby Ish87 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Ish87 wrote:
ss30378 wrote:What's affordable to you? $50, $100, $150???


Like 120 tops. At this moment is all I can afford.


A Phenix PHX-C682 will run you ~$180, but the older Recon 2 version that I have is a solid bfs rod.


Phenix has some really nice rods but a bit expensive. I've seen some people use the phenix maxim but I've read some mixed reviews on them breaking. Any thoughts on the maxim rod?

User avatar
Ish87
Angler
Angler
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:40 am

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby Ish87 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:43 pm

LowRange wrote:
Ish87 wrote:
LowRange wrote:Kuying Topcaster ML.


What do you use this rod for? I like throwing small soft plastics.


Small jigs and plastics. Mostly 1/8 oz heads and small plastics.


Do you own this rod? If so how do you like it?

Houndfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby Houndfish » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:48 pm

Ish87 wrote:
Houndfish wrote:
Ish87 wrote:
ss30378 wrote:What's affordable to you? $50, $100, $150???


Like 120 tops. At this moment is all I can afford.


A Phenix PHX-C682 will run you ~$180, but the older Recon 2 version that I have is a solid bfs rod.


Phenix has some really nice rods but a bit expensive. I've seen some people use the phenix maxim but I've read some mixed reviews on them breaking. Any thoughts on the maxim rod?


Nope, the Recon 2 is the only one I have ever held. If you are in/near MD, shoot me a PM, I could be talked into selling mine if it’s replacement works out

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby spookybaits » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:03 pm


User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1590
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Affordable bfs rods???

Postby LowRange » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Ish87 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Ish87 wrote:
LowRange wrote:Kuying Topcaster ML.


What do you use this rod for? I like throwing small soft plastics.


Small jigs and plastics. Mostly 1/8 oz heads and small plastics.


Do you own this rod? If so how do you like it?


I like it. It has incredible build quality for the price. I like it a bit better than my Zodias 610ML. It's about as sensitive and with almost as much backbone but has a softer tip that loads up better with lighter baits and it still a mod fast like the Zodias. Amazing stick for under $60.


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests