Loomis Noob, looking for GLX help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:59 am
Location: La Crosse, WI

Loomis Noob, looking for GLX help

Postby Taxin That Bass » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 am

I have an avenue where i can get a GLX at a discount, so the discussion is around that model.

For the last 15 years, i have used a 7'MH st. croix avid for my pitching rod. It does 85% t rigs or jigs between 5/16 and 3/8, remaining 15% i will get to a 1/2 oz if i'm fishing deeper weeds or a lot of current. It's been a great rod, have caught more fish on that rod than any other rod that i own. It's not sexy, its not the lightest or most sensitive or best balanced thing in the world but its sensitive enough and has the right action that i like for pitching. What i'm looking for is a GLX that is approximately the same length, with similar action. My assumption is that the GLX should be a lot more sensitive than the avid and thats what i'm looking for. Let me know what you guys think. Also, most of my other rods are Dobyns and i haven't found one that really gets close in that length....closest i can figure is my 744 champ but thats just a little too long for pitching for me.

User avatar
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3925
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Loomis Noob, looking for GLX help

Postby cndbasshunter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 am

GLX853C fits nicely or probably a GLX844C

User avatar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Loomis Noob, looking for GLX help

Postby arrowslinger1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:35 am

Id consider these

I'd recommend feeling of them first tho,
I feel like the reel seat is a bit farther forward on the glx making it fish an inch or so shorter than they actually are.
Also I think the power rating is a bit heavier than they are. For ex a med hvy may be a bit lighter than other brand med hvy

Also the 843 / 844 are fast action
the 853 is x fast
Must buy all jdm shimanos.....

Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: Loomis Noob, looking for GLX help

Postby Houndfish » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:09 pm

I have a 783mbr and other than the handle being about 2 or 3 inches longer that I want to be, I have no complaints with it. I also just picked up an avid 62M/XF and was shocked at how close it felt in sensitivity to the GLX. Same real, same line, same jig, dragged across the same little stretch of bottom, it was pretty surprising how close the two rods felt. The GLX definitely gave more feedback on the softer parts of the bottom and I could definitely feel brush and other cover like that more distinctly, but on the hard bottom or along riprap, they were almost neck and neck.

Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Re: Loomis Noob, looking for GLX help

Postby NHBull » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:47 pm

The GLX worm and jig rods may be the best band for the buck out there....Love mine, and considering a GLX flipping stick.
You will not regret it! That said in the MBR GLX is a different animal and is more universal in nature.
Son of "Tun"

Mike son
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Loomis Noob, looking for GLX help

Postby Mike son » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:25 am

I have the new GLX's in 853 and 844. Try to handle them if haven't already. I'd agree with arrowslinger that they do feel a little lighter than their ratings, at least the 853 does to me. Though sometimes I don't realize how much I can lean into it, I think it has to do with the fact that they are so light. IIRC St. Croix is actually a little heavier in their ratings. Some also don't like the reel seat on the new GLX but I'm fine with it. I use the 853 with fluoro for casting and pitching 1/4-3/8oz t-rigs and jigs and it works fine. Has the power to move northern bass from moderate cover when needed. I use the 844 for 1/2oz jigs and trigs on fluoro as well as frogs and weightless horny toads on braid. It has the power but not everyone might like the MBR taper if you haven't fished with one.

Taxin', I think if you're just pitching the 853 would be fine for 1/2oz but it would really depend on the cover. They do make the 854 jwr with a traditional fast taper that hasn't been mentioned here yet. Rereading your post, you mentioned deep weeds and current and similar action to the avid you have, all things considered I'd lean toward the 854 rated 5/16-3/4oz. I think you'd be better off with the extra power than lacking it when needed. I haven't fished one but someone else might be able to chime in on it.

Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MediumHeavy and 16 guests