Why no love for the E6X?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Why no love for the E6X?

Post by Matt_3479 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm

I’ve read a few times on here, and it seems that’s most people stray others away from the loomis e6x. I picked up a few spinning rods last season, st. Croix avid X and a G Loomis e6x and I love both. But after hearing what some people have said about these rods I’m confused as I feel like it is a well built, extremely sensitive rod. I’m debating on getting a Crankbait rod (casting) and was thinking maybe trying another e6x. Before I jump the gun here I just wanted to hear why people feel they aren’t worth there money and what they would recommend instead. I just got 3 new rods to try over winter before I decide on a Crankbait rod but I was leaning towards the loomis. I love my avid x but something about the loomis I love

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why no love for the E6X?

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:00 pm

This group tends to fish above entry level rods. Unless it's Megabass. I'm sure there are some owners, but most probably are fishing IMX and up.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:55 pm

There is a group of rods I would include in comparing the E6X. I have not fished these rods but have handled them, so this is just my opinion based on in store impressions. The St. Croix Bass X and the Shimano Exage feel about the same to me as the E6X maybe I'm feeling things that are not there. My opinion.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:09 pm

New E6X rods will be coming out at the Classic. The E6X is a good rod. Maybe it's too close to the old IMX price wise.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

I have never really been a fan of Gloomis lower end offerings, I personally think you can find a better rod
for that amount of money.

But I have never fished a E6X, I'm referring to the GL2

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 pm

I really disliked my E6x. The hook keeper location pissed me off to no end, and it is a very heavy rod in hand in my opinion. I wanted to like it, but ended up selling it. My good friend bought the same one I had and likes it a lot. Everyone has different tastes. It wasn't a bad rod just not a rod for me.

NHBull
Angler
Angler

Post by NHBull » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:02 am

I have a few, including a MH crankbait rod and it fishes great. I don’t think shallow to medium depth cranking requires a super sensitive rod. I think it may be priced 40.00 higher than most looking at that price range want to spend.
I have 2 spinning rods, crankbait and swim bait rod. That said, once you throw the GLX, you will have a tough time going back
Son of "Tun"

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:24 am

They are a good quality, solid, durable rod. In my opinion, Loomis is a high end rod company and should stay focused there (and so should Megabass for that matter :lol: ) Entry level rods aren't in their wheel house of either company. In my hands, there are better $200 (and under) rods.

I still have an original prototype 903 MBR that is a GREAT spinner bait/chatter bait type rod for open water distance casting. Sensitivity isn't outstanding, but they are good rods overall.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LonnieP
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by LonnieP » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:31 am

I have a 783c and it's an OK rod but I find it lacking in sensitivity. I use it mostly for spinnerbaits. You're paying for the G Loomis name and warranty for these rods in my opinion and this rod would be better suited with a 100 dollar price tag.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:36 am

Gen 1 were soso...much nicer rod for the $ are zodias or chronos

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:40 am

I would take a Gen1 Halo Daylite over a E6X.
<")))><{

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:42 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:I would take a Gen1 Halo Daylite over a E6X.
Now, let's not go that far :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:20 am

bronzefly wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:I would take a Gen1 Halo Daylite over a E6X.
Now, let's not go that far :lol:
I did. lol. I have 2 of them, and they are pretty amazing for $60 shipped to me.
<")))><{

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:46 am

LonnieP wrote:I have a 783c and it's an OK rod but I find it lacking in sensitivity. I use it mostly for spinnerbaits. You're paying for the G Loomis name and warranty for these rods in my opinion and this rod would be better suited with a 100 dollar price tag.
I agree with the above statement, if they were $100 I'd say it is a decent rod for the money. The Avid X is well ahead of the E6X in weight, feel, and overall performance, it is much more responsive and at less than $20 difference in price there is no comparison.
Barlow's Tackle

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:10 am

cndbasshunter wrote:...much nicer rod for the $ are zodias or chronos
I agree, both Zodias and Cronos are amazing rods for their price points!