First look at new Megabass Orochi XX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: First look at new Megabass Orochi XX rods

Post by M Perry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:52 pm

LowRange wrote:What's up with the new EMTF? It is not listed as applicable with jigs and worms but is highly recommended for mid depth crankbaits? Doesn't sound like my current EMTF at all.

The new Braillist was designed to take over the bottom presentation techniques duties that the EMTF was performing. Like most MB rods versatility is a main feature so many anglers early on started using the EMTF for more bottom oriented stuff. The EMTF works great for that as well.
Now those duties will fall on the Braillist. By all means some anglers will keep using the EMTF for bottom contact but I think once you compare the EMTF and the Braillist side by side you will feel the differences and might prefer to have both rods.
Last edited by M Perry on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Kschultz76 wrote:Definitely looks like a step up in the design/aesthetics department, and like the upgraded guides for sure. I am ok with the reel seat but do prefer the Fuji ECS.

I was hoping for a bit more powerful all graphite cranking stick in the 7’3” range, like a big brother to the Flatside Special for mid to deeper cranks. But I know most people want much longer rods for that.

Excited to see how these stack up to the originals in terms of weight and balance. My quiver is full but if feedback is good enough I might be tempted.

One of the reasons the rods now have the Spiral Architect Reel Seat instead of the previous seat is that in many cases when you are palming a reel like so many do you actually have less contact with the rod itself and you are actually feeling "reel sensitivity" and not maintaining as much contact with the rod. In a sense the ACS/ECS seats do not transmit as well as the Spiral seat does. It is something that was discovered through testing and prototyping early on with the Spiral seat.

You should see lighter weights across the board on same models between both series. With the emphasis on rebalancing the new series you should also see an improvement in balance as well.

Right now at 15 models the XX series is set for a bit but nothing says that there will not be more models added in the future. With the commitment to the US market Megabass is continuing to try and provide more tools for anglers here in the States.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 pm

with the new technology is the sensitivity a huge upgrade over the Gen 1 rods from the prototypes that have been fished? Also appears the cork is nicer?

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Dustys60 wrote:with the new technology is the sensitivity a huge upgrade over the Gen 1 rods from the prototypes that have been fished? Also appears the cork is nicer?
Sensitivity can be subjective from person to person but we feel like they are an improvement.

So many other improvements that were added as well, The micro tapering especially is one that stands out. It increases faster recovery for the rod tip which in turn helps the rod to have a better "crispness" to it. By having the micro tapering it also serves to help protect the rod from nicks while in the loaded position during a cast. That is when a rod can be vulnerable. The faster recovery time helps during that time. You also should see improved casting distance due to the micro tapering. Changing line guides between the two generations is something that was done with improvement in mind as well. One benefit to them is it makes passing knots a lot easier for those that use leaders etc.

Hopefully once these rods are out for the general public to see, touch etc the improvement will be as noticeable to everyone like they are to the MB personnel that have had a part of their creation.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:47 pm

I definitely see a Braillist in my future! I've been in the market for something for football jigs and Biffle bug rigs. Now, whether to replace my Flat Side Special and Perfect Pitch???? :evil:

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:55 am

M Perry wrote: One of the reasons the rods now have the Spiral Architect Reel Seat instead of the previous seat is that in many cases when you are palming a reel like so many do you actually have less contact with the rod itself and you are actually feeling "reel sensitivity" and not maintaining as much contact with the rod. In a sense the ACS/ECS seats do not transmit as well as the Spiral seat does. It is something that was discovered through testing and prototyping early on with the Spiral seat.

You should see lighter weights across the board on same models between both series. With the emphasis on rebalancing the new series you should also see an improvement in balance as well.

Right now at 15 models the XX series is set for a bit but nothing says that there will not be more models added in the future. With the commitment to the US market Megabass is continuing to try and provide more tools for anglers here in the States.
Don’t get me wrong I like the blank access of the new seat, and it wouldn’t stop me from getting another rod with it. The primary improvement it needs is to make the trigger maybe 3/8” or so longer and wider. I have thin fingers so it doesn’t cause me real discomfort, but would be more comfortable and feel like a more secure grip with that improvement.

Of course that’s my opinion, others may disagree and that’s ok.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:43 pm

stingray23 wrote:Not bad. Not a fan of the extra length in the Jerkbait special and bummed not to see a new spinnerbait special.
I'm with you on the jerkbait special.
I got super excited when I saw the action was changed to fast, but then I went back and saw the length was increased to almost 7ft and it killed the excitement I had. The last thing I want in a jerkbait rod is more length. 6'8 was already pushing it.

I wonder if it was changed with throwing the bigger jerkbaits(like ito shiner) in mind? I'm sure someone will find the extra length useful.
But me, my elbow & wrist can't take jerking with a 7ft rod for hours on end. Guess I'm just gonna get a GLX 782c mbr and call it a day.

I am stoked about that launcher though! If I get along with that reel seat, that's for sure gonna be my new deep crank rod.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:22 am

I assume there isn't a transcript of that anywhere? I never could stand the "lets interview someone on a loud show floor" video stuff, like a little sound-attenuated interview area is not a huge added booth expense here people! ;)

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 am

Man that's a great video (I had no problem with the sound), lots of great design insight.

I foresee that brailist being the most popular, probably by quite a bit. Especially after him saying it's the most sensitive of the lineup. I bet it'll be the new Nautilus.
What I found particularly interesting was that one of the design goals was the ability to be able to fish light baits on light 8lb test. I personally was planning on getting the Diablo for that exact reason but now I'm not sure. :-k I do still prefer the length on the diablo though.
Mark, do you know if the Diablo is essentially the 'little brother' to the brailist? (Ie just a shorter version with hair less power)?

And while I still don't prefer the extra length of the jerkbait rod, I bet that one is gonna be really popular with the guys throwing bigger jerkbaits like the ito shiner & Duo 120.

Really good stuff, thanks for posting that Mark!

(And shout out to that big booty blonde gal in the plaid shirt ;) )

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:35 am

Glad to get some insight from Kenichi, I had the opportunity to talk with him for a long time about the USA Destroyers the fall before they were released. He was great to chat with, showed pics and everything.

Thanks for posting! No problems with the sound on my ipad speakers.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:07 am

Kenichi had a LOT to do with the initial design of the XX and also the redesign. He always has some incredible insight on why he made something like he did or why he changed something. The reasoning behind extending the length on the Jerkbait Special for instance is a great example. Its the little things that really make a product great.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:18 pm

spookybaits wrote:
Man that's a great video (I had no problem with the sound), lots of great design insight.

I foresee that brailist being the most popular, probably by quite a bit. Especially after him saying it's the most sensitive of the lineup. I bet it'll be the new Nautilus.
What I found particularly interesting was that one of the design goals was the ability to be able to fish light baits on light 8lb test. I personally was planning on getting the Diablo for that exact reason but now I'm not sure. :-k I do still prefer the length on the diablo though.
Mark, do you know if the Diablo is essentially the 'little brother' to the brailist? (Ie just a shorter version with hair less power)?

And while I still don't prefer the extra length of the jerkbait rod, I bet that one is gonna be really popular with the guys throwing bigger jerkbaits like the ito shiner & Duo 120.

Really good stuff, thanks for posting that Mark!

(And shout out to that big booty blonde gal in the plaid shirt ;) )
I don't want to give you a "canned" answer as I have noit fished the Braillist yet. I do know I will have one shortly in my hands though as it should be on the way very, very soon. I would rather hold off and use that model before I just throw out my thoughts on how it compares to the DSR. I would feel a lot better about giving an opinion then. Thanks and I will have it and use it here pretty quick.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:30 am

I talked with Kenichi for a long time this past Saturday at the Classic expo. Really neat guy. He did talk up the Brailist quite a bit, along with the Destroyer Addermine that I would not put down!!!! We also discussed the new C40 and the Diablo that I have on order from that line. He was pretty impressed that I had over 20 older MB rods :D . I enjoyed talking with him.

FunInTheSun
Angler
Angler

Post by FunInTheSun » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:30 pm

Wondering how these stack up against the USDM destroyer?