First look at new Megabass Orochi XX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

First look at new Megabass Orochi XX rods

Post by M Perry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:01 am

Here is a little sneak peek....

https://megabassusa.com/new-orochi-xx-2018/

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: First look at new Megabass Orochi XX rods

Post by KlingerNOK » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:17 am

Braillist- what an ingenious name! Great looking rods.
I may only have one XX in my lineup at this time, but it looks like I will have to get more.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:49 am

The Braillist looks interesting, but the 7'5" length is a dealbreaker. I thought there was mention of a shorter bottom contact rod in the new lineup?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:51 am

The Braillist is one of the first ones I'll be trying out for sure.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:01 am

Houndfish wrote:The Braillist looks interesting, but the 7'5" length is a dealbreaker. I thought there was mention of a shorter bottom contact rod in the new lineup?

I wrote that a new model was coming that was between the power of the Tour Versatile and the EMTF but shared same length as the EMTF. At the time I could not share the name of that model due to waiting on the name to be approved on that model and the others.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:02 am

Sweet sack ballz!!

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:03 am

Super sweet Gary look forward to hearing your words on those they look very exciting indeed!!

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:09 am

M Perry wrote:
Houndfish wrote:The Braillist looks interesting, but the 7'5" length is a dealbreaker. I thought there was mention of a shorter bottom contact rod in the new lineup?

I wrote that a new model was coming that was between the power of the Tour Versatile and the EMTF but shared same length as the EMTF. At the time I could not share the name of that model due to waiting on the name to be approved on that model and the others.
Yea, I went back an looked, I think "but shorter then the EMTF" was just want I wanted to hear and I had remembered it as an actual thing. :?

The new PP looks as interesting as ever. Is it more or less identical in taper and power to the old model? I need a jig rod and I had been slowly talking myself into a 873CCR or an FMJ, but the Perfect Pitch gets such rave reviews I want to give one a whirl.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:27 am

Houndfish wrote:
M Perry wrote:

Yea, I went back an looked, I think "but shorter then the EMTF" was just want I wanted to hear and I had remembered it as an actual thing. :?

The new PP looks as interesting as ever. Is it more or less identical in taper and power to the old model? I need a jig rod and I had been slowly talking myself into a 873CCR or an FMJ, but the Perfect Pitch gets such rave reviews I want to give one a whirl.
It retained all of the greatness of the original Perfect Pitch in regards to power etc . That being said its built under the new process/design but it will still fish like the older version. You are getting a lighter rod, better balance and more lifting power with the new version.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:31 am

Houndfish wrote:The new PP looks as interesting as ever. Is it more or less identical in taper and power to the old model? I need a jig rod and I had been slowly talking myself into a 873CCR or an FMJ, but the Perfect Pitch gets such rave reviews I want to give one a whirl.
I'm excited about these new XX rods too, but don't let yourself get talked out of the FMJ if you want a world class jig rod 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:48 am

bronzefly wrote:
Houndfish wrote:The new PP looks as interesting as ever. Is it more or less identical in taper and power to the old model? I need a jig rod and I had been slowly talking myself into a 873CCR or an FMJ, but the Perfect Pitch gets such rave reviews I want to give one a whirl.
I'm excited about these new XX rods too, but don't let yourself get talked out of the FMJ if you want a world class jig rod 8-)
I know, but I am a sucker for a full grip.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 am

Not bad. Not a fan of the extra length in the Jerkbait special and bummed not to see a new spinnerbait special.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 am

stingray23 wrote:Not bad. Not a fan of the extra length in the Jerkbait special and bummed not to see a new spinnerbait special.

I will miss the Spinnerbait Special as well. I was surprised it did not make the cut. Glad I have a few of the first models.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:18 pm

Definitely looks like a step up in the design/aesthetics department, and like the upgraded guides for sure. I am ok with the reel seat but do prefer the Fuji ECS.

I was hoping for a bit more powerful all graphite cranking stick in the 7’3” range, like a big brother to the Flatside Special for mid to deeper cranks. But I know most people want much longer rods for that.

Excited to see how these stack up to the originals in terms of weight and balance. My quiver is full but if feedback is good enough I might be tempted.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:21 pm

What's up with the new EMTF? It is not listed as applicable with jigs and worms but is highly recommended for mid depth crankbaits? Doesn't sound like my current EMTF at all.