First look at new Megabass Orochi XX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
G40
Angler
Angler

Re: First look at new Megabass Orochi XX rods

Post by G40 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:35 pm

I Noticed that the Kabt Tech is also seen in the Orochi XXX JDM model. though the blanks, applications and rod choices differ from the us market, I know its hard to compare some models with the new USDM models, But that being said, is there a big difference between the 2017 JDM xxx and US 2018 XX?

I absolutely Love the Orochi XXX Oneten Special, so My eyes have been opened to this model. I've also noticed that one some sites they are slightly cheaper than the new 18' XX. Can you tell me the differences in these blanks? (with the exception of the Venom of course).

I know I'm Late to the party, thanks for all your input.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:57 pm

The main difference is I believe you've roughly stated with actions tapers guide train being main differences between the 2 series. I haven't used the new XX as they are not for me but if they fish anything like the XXX of the JDM line you'll be happy plus you're getting a better guide train and lengths but that's debatable. From what I used in the JDM XXX line I've been very happy I actually fish the four piece BE2 quite a bit 8-) . All in all I believe you're getting the same type of furniture and blank material Etc. I could be wrong if so egg on my face but I believe that should be the case. Gary and some other experts will chime in as they have more experience I'm sure with both of those lines. Happy Hunting and hope you're stiked with whatever you get :big grin:

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:03 pm

I got the braillist for a warranty on a broke flipping special. Ive used it a few times now and i am not blown away by it like i am for the fist gen. It has a good action and i love the taper. It keeps jig fish pinned. Its beautiful and well built. Its much softer and more moderate than i was expecting ( no one close to me sells megabass close to me so i cant feel them before i purchase) I don't like the handle shape near as much as the first gen and don't care for the short trigger. The rod doesn't feel as sensitive to me as my emtf, dsr and filliping special first gens with the same line and reels. I like the smaller guides, reel seat and handle on the original better also. The rod was a little tip heavy with a metainium xg and my first gens blance very good ecept for the flipping special. Its a nice rod but i guess i was expecting to like it better than the originals. Its was a lot of hype for the braillist before it released and now it is i don't see much about them. For the guys that have them what do you think of it and what techniques are you using it for? With its taper i would think it could be very verstial. I would love to try a gen2 dsr and see how it compares.

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 am

I have a gen 2 DSR on the way, I’ll write up a review once I’ve had a chance to put it through the paces!
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

krevo
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by krevo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:34 am

bronzebacks wrote:I got the braillist for a warranty on a broke flipping special. Ive used it a few times now and i am not blown away by it like i am for the fist gen. It has a good action and i love the taper. It keeps jig fish pinned. Its beautiful and well built. Its much softer and more moderate than i was expecting ( no one close to me sells megabass close to me so i cant feel them before i purchase) I don't like the handle shape near as much as the first gen and don't care for the short trigger. The rod doesn't feel as sensitive to me as my emtf, dsr and filliping special first gens with the same line and reels. I like the smaller guides, reel seat and handle on the original better also. The rod was a little tip heavy with a metainium xg and my first gens blance very good ecept for the flipping special. Its a nice rod but i guess i was expecting to like it better than the originals. Its was a lot of hype for the braillist before it released and now it is i don't see much about them. For the guys that have them what do you think of it and what techniques are you using it for? With its taper i would think it could be very verstial. I would love to try a gen2 dsr and see how it compares.

I picked up a Braillist after buying in to all the hype. I'm a Dobyns/Loomis guy mostly but was looking for something different because I kept hearing so much positive feedback about the tapers and balance and sensitivity of the Orochi XX line. I kind of wish I had just bought a 7'5" GLX instead - because this rod is not balanced and not really sensitive. I put a Curado K, a Alphas 105, an Aldebaran and a Abu ALX on it and it was still really tip heavy.

I'd go as far as to say that it's less sensitive than my IMXs and doesn't even come close to the GLX. I would compare this rod to a St Croix SCIII blank from a sensitivity standpoint. Definitely feels and looks nice, but even dragging a 1/2 oz tungsten jig on 40lb braid along a rocky river bottom, the rod produced more muted bumps than it did the ticks I'm used to feeling with my other bottom contact rods. Wish I would've had a chance to hold one before I bought it.