First look at new Megabass Orochi XX rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: First look at new Megabass Orochi XX rods

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:40 am

I'm sure Gary will be along shortly to answer your questions. 8-)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:45 am

Technical wrote:A couple questions about the new pp and the warhammer. Does the new pp have the same taper as the 1st gen XX 7'9" flipping rod? My other question does the destroyer warhammer have the same taper as the original taper as the 1st gen xx 7'9". Placing another order to the TT this week.
In my brief experience with the 2018 Perfect Pitch, it struck me as feeling pretty similar. We have the 1st generation XX Perfect Pitch at the shop and will do some side by side comparisons once the new 2018 models arrive in a few weeks. The Destroyer Warhammer does have a more moderate fast action like the first generation XX Flipping Special, but feels more powerful overall.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:20 am

bronzefly wrote:
Technical wrote:A couple questions about the new pp and the warhammer. Does the new pp have the same taper as the 1st gen XX 7'9" flipping rod? My other question does the destroyer warhammer have the same taper as the original taper as the 1st gen xx 7'9". Placing another order to the TT this week.
In my brief experience with the 2018 Perfect Pitch, it struck me as feeling pretty similar. We have the 1st generation XX Perfect Pitch at the shop and will do some side by side comparisons once the new 2018 models arrive in a few weeks. The Destroyer Warhammer does have a more moderate fast action like the first generation XX Flipping Special, but feels more powerful overall.
Gary,

How would you compare the gen1 Tour Versatile to the new ones? Power, taper, balance...all that good stuff.

Thanks in advance.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:00 pm

I have a question about the old vs. the new jerk bait rod...what was the rear handle length on the previous generation versus the 2018 model? Also, on the previous generation, what was the rear handle length of the jerk bait vs. flat side vs. spinnerbait special? Thanks!

BoatBuggy
Angler
Angler

Post by BoatBuggy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:51 pm

Big-Bass wrote:I have a question about the old vs. the new jerk bait rod...what was the rear handle length on the previous generation versus the 2018 model? Also, on the previous generation, what was the rear handle length of the jerk bait vs. flat side vs. spinnerbait special? Thanks!
I can't help with the "old" Jerkbait Special but the length of the cork behind the reel seat on the "old" FSS and SBS (and TV and PP) is 9 3/4".

bassnn15
Angler
Angler

Post by bassnn15 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Just got the Brailist and put it to work with a 1/2 oz Texas rig. Wow. Great rod. Not as stiff as I’m used to but stuck a 5lber and a bunch of 3 s. Teamed it with a Chronarch mgl

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 am

Anyone have experience with the new Leviathan? I want to dedicate this winter to throwing a 68 Special and I want a rod a more powerful than the Hyuga 72H that I throw them on now. I am also looking at the various Dobyn's rods and while there is a ton of info on them there is almost nothing I can find about the new Leviathan.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F0KT8jBInM

Worth a watch if your insterested in the Lev..

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:35 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F0KT8jBInM

I don't know what I just watched, but I think the "Published on Sep 27, 2017" would mean it's the old model rod, right?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F0KT8jBInM

I don't know what I just watched, but I think the "Published on Sep 27, 2017" would mean it's the old model rod, right?
I think you might be right... :doh:

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:15 am

Yeah; that’s the old model. It’s not the rod that’s jacking those fish and roping them apart. That dude is fishing angry...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:41 am

Much harder and he'll have prepared filets on the end of the hook.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:03 am

Yea, that guy is a tool of the highest order.

In any case, I am finding basicly no info online about the new Leviathan. I feel like it must be decently more powerful then my Huyga, but all I have to compare that rod to is a pair of MB 6-powers.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Got a gen 2 Perfect Pitch yesterday and though I haven’t had it on the water yet, it’s a different stick. I’m a bit surprised by how less powerful it feels, and how deeper the tip flexes compared to the original. I definitely understand the difference in lure ratings now. The usual quality and craftsmanship are there, so it’s not a bad rod. It’s just different than what I was expecting. I can’t wait to fish it and put it to the test, that’s for sure!

Anyone else notice differences between the new ones and originals? I’d love to hear comparisons, pros and cons.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:37 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:Got a gen 2 Perfect Pitch yesterday and though I haven’t had it on the water yet, it’s a different stick. I’m a bit surprised by how less powerful it feels, and how deeper the tip flexes compared to the original. I definitely understand the difference in lure ratings now. The usual quality and craftsmanship are there, so it’s not a bad rod. It’s just different than what I was expecting. I can’t wait to fish it and put it to the test, that’s for sure!

Anyone else notice differences between the new ones and originals? I’d love to hear comparisons, pros and cons.
Thanks for being an early adopter and giving us your initial impressions. If you could follow up with some thoughts on the differences between the old and new after spending some time on the water then that would be great.