What are You PUNCHING with?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What are You PUNCHING with?

Post by JigginOG » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:32 am

goldrod wrote:Went fishing and just all punching set ups.

those mud fish will give you a work out.. i wonder if they are like snakeheads or kin to them.
Those teeth thrashing around and just the raw power they have, you need a good rod incase you get one of them.

Is anyone using the steez SVF AGS rods for punching?
I’m currently running the 7’6”H and 7’4”XH.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:36 am

JigginOG wrote:

those mud fish will give you a work out.. i wonder if they are like snakeheads or kin to them.
Those teeth thrashing around and just the raw power they have, you need a good rod incase you get one of them.

What are your thoughts on them?
Which of the two is the most versatile?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:30 am

goldrod wrote:
JigginOG wrote:

What are your thoughts on them?
Which of the two is the most versatile?
I’ve really enjoyed them both from the fact of how light and well balanced they are for heavier powered production rods. Anything else in hand feels tip heavy. With that factor, I am highly less fatigued when flippin and pitchin for a whole day. Not quite as sensitive as the higher tier MB or Loomis (glx and nrx) but it’s also not dead.
As for versatility, they both seem to be on par for tip action. Not your typical meat stick. I’ve only tied on bottom contact lures and frogs but it sure doesn’t feel limited to the two.

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:Will be trying a custom 7'10 H X Ray blank by North Fork Composites. Building a minimum build. Feels like it has a lot of power and the taper continues past a fast when applying more pressure. Also build a "unique" finesse punching rod using a 7'6 High Modulus flipping blank from NFC and I extended it with a Tatula handle. The blank was broken at the end when I got it but, I "repaired" it. Parabolic bend seems nice. I am kinda afraid to lay into the blank when the time comes.
Looks like a sweet blank, hope to see some pics of the finished product!

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:21 am

Snagged a used Megabass Orochi XX Aklys with the plastic still on the cork from eBay for just under $200. I've only had a chance to pitch a 1 oz jig around in the back yard and make a few casts with a swimbait at a pond on my way home from work, but my first impression is a very positive one. Just feels right with a heavy jig. Love the balance of the rod but it is a pretty hefty stick, I'm a little anxious to see how I feel after a long day of punching. Love the taper, the rod loads up really nicely when casting a swimbait in the neighborhood of 1 oz.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:50 am

Poisson wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:Will be trying a custom 7'10 H X Ray blank by North Fork Composites. Building a minimum build. Feels like it has a lot of power and the taper continues past a fast when applying more pressure. Also build a "unique" finesse punching rod using a 7'6 High Modulus flipping blank from NFC and I extended it with a Tatula handle. The blank was broken at the end when I got it but, I "repaired" it. Parabolic bend seems nice. I am kinda afraid to lay into the blank when the time comes.
Looks like a sweet blank, hope to see some pics of the finished product!
Will do. The Frankenstein rod with the Tatula handle is atrocious.

I will be finishing the rod in the next two weeks.

I have a Xray SJ 736 I will be completing first
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:20 pm

13 fishing envy black 7’6” with a curado K! Wicked set up. My only 13 rod and it’s awesome! Super sensitive and loads of power! Doesn’t get much use cause I throw a lot on my glx 894c. Thinking of just leaving a t-rigged creature on there this year and the fox as my jig rod

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:03 am

GLX 954

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:55 am

I had a Point Blank PB761HF built this summer that has a SV103XS on it. It's great for half ounce jigs and regular duty flipping and pitching, but it maxes out at 3/4 ounce for punching in my opinion. I feel like I need a little more rod to get a rhythm with the 1-1.5 ounce weights. The 8 foot rods are a bit much for me because I am not a big guy. I have an old custom 7'6" XH Phenix that I use for bigger punching weights.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:54 pm

toddmc wrote:I had a Point Blank PB761HF built this summer that has a SV103XS on it. It's great for half ounce jigs and regular duty flipping and pitching, but it maxes out at 3/4 ounce for punching in my opinion. I feel like I need a little more rod to get a rhythm with the 1-1.5 ounce weights. The 8 foot rods are a bit much for me because I am not a big guy. I have an old custom 7'6" XH Phenix that I use for bigger punching weights.

Have you tried a balancing kit?
Maybe a great option. Makes long rods feel short
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:13 am

goldrod wrote:
toddmc wrote:I had a Point Blank PB761HF built this summer that has a SV103XS on it. It's great for half ounce jigs and regular duty flipping and pitching, but it maxes out at 3/4 ounce for punching in my opinion. I feel like I need a little more rod to get a rhythm with the 1-1.5 ounce weights. The 8 foot rods are a bit much for me because I am not a big guy. I have an old custom 7'6" XH Phenix that I use for bigger punching weights.

Have you tried a balancing kit?
Maybe a great option. Makes long rods feel short
It's balanced perfectly. It's just not heavy enough for the 1.5 and 2 ounce punching weights. The heavier weights take too much effort to get moving with a rod that is not a little heavier.

MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Post by MNBassin03 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:36 am

DChiWildcats wrote:GLX 954
+1
I am a big fan of this rod. The GLX 954 FPR is where it is at for me punching. Warhammer is solid as well, but traded it away after using the GLX. I have purchased the Steez AGS 8' H that I'll try this upcoming season, but will use more as a flipping and pitching rod then just punching, but we'll see it has a nice feel to it.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:02 pm

MNBassin03 wrote:
+1
I am a big fan of this rod. The GLX 954 FPR is where it is at for me punching. Warhammer is solid as well, but traded it away after using the GLX. I have purchased the Steez AGS 8' H that I'll try this upcoming season, but will use more as a flipping and pitching rod then just punching, but we'll see it has a nice feel to it.
How does the 8ft AGS feel? I was always wondering about that rod for punching. Is it stiff? Does it bend quite a bit down the blank under load?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:30 pm

MNBassin03 wrote:
+1

I have the new GLX 895 with a z2020sh on it ,
I’ve caught fish on it yet nothing to brag about.

MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Post by MNBassin03 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:59 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
MNBassin03 wrote:
+1
How does the 8ft AGS feel? I was always wondering about that rod for punching. Is it stiff? Does it bend quite a bit down the blank under load?
Sorry this took me a few days, but I haven't used it at all, but I wanted to give a legit answer so I needed to get it out. The rod is light as you'd expect. It balances extremely well, I didn't really check that at first, but very impressed. The tip is definitely a heavy, but not at all a meat stick. It fully loads at the 4th guide from the tip. I think it'll have plenty for 3/4 & 1 oz punching. But again this is without on the water time. Hope that answers some of your questions. Will update when I get some on the water experience with it, which might be next spring.... From MN... Boo