What are You PUNCHING with?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What are You PUNCHING with?

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:34 am

spencerinstl wrote:
bronzefly wrote:Megabass US Destroyer Warhammer and a Tackle Trap custom Zillion HD 9:1
How does the warhammer compare to the Dobyns DX 795 Flip, Megabass Power Versatile, and Megabass Super Red Demon?
Sorry Spencer - missed this one. It's been quite some time since I did anything but pick up the DX 795, so I'll leave that one alone. The Warhammer feels like a punching rod and it does it well with 1oz and up. It's really stout obviously, has a moderate fast action that takes some pressure to get flexing. The Power Versatile has a higher lure rating, but has a noticeably slower action and feels less powerful in the tip section, it has the sense of a large moving bait rod rather than a bottom contact rod. The SRD is a very powerful stick of course, more so than either the other two, yet it has some unique flex characteristics that take away some of that expected "broom stick" feel based on it's ratings alone. It's fantastic with big swim baits, big umbrella rigs, etc. All three are really nice rods but generally for different purposes. Not to say that there isn't overlap, because there certainly is, but selecting the right one for particular applications will result in a better outcome.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 pm

capt1fish wrote:Depending when/where/who/what:

8’ Kistler MAD
Dobyns Champion 804c
Steez AGS 8’

All paired with Zillion Type R and 65lb Suffix braid
What situation would you say, choose the MAD over the other 2 rods and vice versa? Looking into getting a MAD. I just don't want to be be too much power for my "punching" here in Northern Michigan
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:52 pm

typically an old Powell 795 or 775. Even though the 775 is faster action, I am tending to like that over the slower action 793

I would not hesitate to use my Helium 3 7'3H rod if I felt the conditions are right. Slow to load on the hookset yet very sensitive

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:10 am

Rod: Phenix Recon Elite 805
Reel: Shimano Exsence DC
Line: Seguar Flippin Braid 50#
Weight: Reins Tungsten .75-2.5oz
Hook: Owner Jungle Flippin Hook 3/0-5/0
Punch Skirt: Paycheck Baits

Out this way in Northern CA I mostly flip a combination of floating vegetation (Hyacinth, pennywart, etc.), and submerged matted vegetation. This set-up works pretty nice and the rod and reel are pretty well balanced.
robchik.com

SpecksReds
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SpecksReds » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Gloomis GLX FPR 895
ABU Garcia ALT
Sunline FX2 60lb blue/green
Gamakatsu 4/0/5/0 heavy cover straight shank tied wide a snell knot
Reins 3/4 to 1.2oz tungsten flipping weight
Bobber stopper usually but just bought some Bullet Weights pegs to try. I watched Denny Brauer do a video on Facebook and he’s using the pegs.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:22 pm

Ran the NRX916 UBR loved it, decided to try the Curado 7'7H F my past trip in June. Caught dozen's of fish it's softer in backbone but kept fish pegged and was just as sensitive. A tick with the NRX felt not much different with the Curado rod. Punching bites are full on pulling rod from hand or a slight tick after pumping the craw once or twice.

For reels I've ran the Curado 70XG, wasn't bad but lacked in winching power, went to the Metanium MGL 150XG and won't look back. Reel is a workhorse and is light in hand, fast I'm super efficient between punches/flips.

Next and final rod will be the GLX954C FPR. Getting that stick for 2019 will be the perfect punch rod as I'm after more length for control and leverage on further punches in grossly thick matts.

PowerTeam Lures 4.5" Bully Grass Devil
Owner Jungle 3/0 Flipping Hook
Gambler KO Punch Skirt
Reins 1oz
Double Bobber Stop
60lb FX2 Braid
mtfishing IG

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:41 pm

MTBF wrote:Ran the NRX916 UBR loved it, decided to try the Curado 7'7H F my past trip in June. Caught dozen's of fish it's softer in backbone but kept fish pegged and was just as sensitive. A tick with the NRX felt not much different with the Curado rod. Punching bites are full on pulling rod from hand or a slight tick after pumping the craw once or twice.

For reels I've ran the Curado 70XG, wasn't bad but lacked in winching power, went to the Metanium MGL 150XG and won't look back. Reel is a workhorse and is light in hand, fast I'm super efficient between punches/flips.

Next and final rod will be the GLX954C FPR. Getting that stick for 2019 will be the perfect punch rod as I'm after more length for control and leverage on further punches in grossly thick matts.

PowerTeam Lures 4.5" Bully Grass Devil
Owner Jungle 3/0 Flipping Hook
Gambler KO Punch Skirt
Reins 1oz
Double Bobber Stop
60lb FX2 Braid
I've used although not exclusively, the GLX 895 with Z2020SH ( red one) power pro super slick.
I've caught fish on it but I need a brute to really test this one.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by soulfisher » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:08 pm

goldrod wrote:Ultimately I always go back to this zombie rod. I really love this rod for braided line and i use 80# camo power pro.
With the abu gen 2 STX reel it’s comfortable and light.
If you have the zombie 7'10" (pre Dee Thomas rod), I understand why you keep going back to it. That is my favorite for 1.5-2.0 oz in thick hydrilla mats. Perfect balance, power, and a very sweet tip. When i couldn't find another zombie i got a DX-795 flip and it's as close to that zombie as i have had to opportunity to fish. If you find something better and want to fund it via your old zombie, please let me know.

Reels: Fuego CT 8:1 - cheap and tough and pitch as good as any other reel i own for this heavy weight range.

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:22 pm

Daiwa Steez CompileX 801HFBA.....

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:52 am

robchik04 wrote:Rod: Phenix Recon Elite 805

Out this way in Northern CA I mostly flip a combination of floating vegetation (Hyacinth, pennywart, etc.), and submerged matted vegetation. This set-up works pretty nice and the rod and reel are pretty well balanced.
You dont experience any fatigue with the long handle or full length grip? I have the 76H rated 1/2oz heavier than your 805 and my wrists grt worn out after a few hours.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:00 am

Montanaro wrote:

You dont experience any fatigue with the long handle or full length grip? I have the 76H rated 1/2oz heavier than your 805 and my wrists grt worn out after a few hours.
No. The long handle helps with the balance. It’s not as tip heavy as other punch rods I’ve used.
robchik.com

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:20 pm

robchik04 wrote:
Montanaro wrote:

No. The long handle helps with the balance. It’s not as tip heavy as other punch rods I’ve used.
Mine is a Recon2 which are heavier anyway plus as I mentioned the 7'6" is a slightly stouter rod. Would love to get my hands on the 8 foot to compare.

baseball_fish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by baseball_fish » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:11 pm

The older BPS carbonlite 7'6H with curado k 8.5:1 and 65lb braid. Punch anything up to 1.5oz no trouble

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:30 am

Will be trying a custom 7'10 H X Ray blank by North Fork Composites. Building a minimum build. Feels like it has a lot of power and the taper continues past a fast when applying more pressure. Also build a "unique" finesse punching rod using a 7'6 High Modulus flipping blank from NFC and I extended it with a Tatula handle. The blank was broken at the end when I got it but, I "repaired" it. Parabolic bend seems nice. I am kinda afraid to lay into the blank when the time comes.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:44 pm

Went fishing and just all punching set ups.

those mud fish will give you a work out.. i wonder if they are like snakeheads or kin to them.
Those teeth thrashing around and just the raw power they have, you need a good rod incase you get one of them.

Is anyone using the steez SVF AGS rods for punching?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible