Any feedback on Shimano Curado 6'10" Hvy or St Croix 6'8" MH

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Any feedback on Shimano Curado 6'10" Hvy or St Croix 6'8" MH

Post by cornmuse » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:06 pm

I'm looking for a general purpose heavy action rod to pair with an Abu Revo Rocket reel. I'd like to keep the rod under 7 feet and I prefer the 6'8 to 6'10 range. The St Croix MH fast Legend Tournament 6'8 has my attention, but the Shimano is pretty good looking with a full grip and a price point $100 less than the SC. The Shimano is X-fast. I'll be using this rod with 50lb braid as a general purpose heavy stick from my canoe for bottom contact plastics, crawling jigs (I/2 to 3/4+ plus trailer), slow rolling big spinnerbaits, and for frogs.

I like to carry three sticks in the canoe and right now I have a Powell 683 for lighter stuff, a Fenwick Elite Smallmouth MHM for cranks and moving baits and I'm looking for the power play to round the core assortment out (I've got a few medium rods to handle jerkbaits, topwaters and smaller plastics, but a move from Ohio to FL has me thinking I'm under-gunned in many instances)

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this stick. Hard limit is $300 all in, but I'd be much, much happier at half that.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
www.FlyFishOhio.com - Fly Fishing And More!