Dobyns Sierra 700sf vs 701sf? Help needed!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
atxguy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Dobyns Sierra 700sf vs 701sf? Help needed!

Post by atxguy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:08 am

In short: Need most powerful spinning rod that can effectively cast 1/8 - 1/4 oz.

So I recently got an ultra light rod for panfish/trout (St. Croix panfish 6'9" 1/32 - 3/16oz) and have actually been catching more bass than anything else on it using 1/8oz panther martins, 1/6oz super duper spoons and 3/16 oz jerkbaits. Still catching plenty of bluegill, but I've really enjoyed the increased numbers of bass biting in an otherwise slow winter on these tiny lures, and after catching a near 4lb prespawn bass yesterday that really tested my comfort with that rod, I'm looking into something just a hair more powerful, while still being able to cast 1/8oz lures effectively, and ideally up to but not over 1/4oz.

I've called Dobyns and gotten 1 person's suggestion, but wanted to check if anybody has hands on experience with either or both the Sierra 700 or 701. Has anybody that owns either rod fished with a St. Croix panfish ultra light for power comparison? Does one throw 1/8oz significantly better?

Both rods suggested ranges encompass 1/8 to 1/4, either on the lower or higher end of the specs, but I was hoping to get some actual user feedback to see if one is better suited for primarily 1/8 to 1/4oz treble hook lures. Ideally I'd like to use 6lb line and as powerful of a rod that can cast 1/8 well as I've got something to encompass the lighter end of the spectrum, and my Sierra 692 is too powerful for casting 1/8oz very far.

Sierra 700 suggested rating 1/16 - 5/16oz
Sierra 701 suggested rating 1/8 - 3/8oz

Thanks for any help!