Chatterbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby DavidSA » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:54 pm

fishingandfords wrote:Ended up going conquest 903 instead of the javelin. Also added a 844 :doh:

as a long term TT member, I am totally surprised :doh:

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Finnz922 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:24 pm

fishingandfords wrote:
poisonokie wrote:Tatula 7'2" MH Glass all the way. I hardly ever miss a hook up with that rod. The Zillion version would be a worthy upgrade because it has K frames with SiC inserts for better braid casting.

You couldn't pay me to use a daiwa :roll:

Did Daiwa kill your mom? :laugh1:
IROD Pro Staff
Humminbird/Minn Kota Pro Staff

Revofisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Revofisher » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:10 pm

i wend out yesterday and today and got on a great chatterbait bite i threw them on the javelin and it worked very well think im going to have to get another one of these. I have had the rod at the beginning of February and have used it for many different things and it does them well, but it really does make a great chatterbait rod, have yet to lose a fish on it.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby TommyG » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 am

The "Monkey" is on me for a Shimloomis 904c, would it be a good chatterbait rod?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby cndbasshunter » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:18 am

I think the 903C would be better suited unless you are fishing in heavy cover.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby spookybaits » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:00 am

njbasscat wrote:I have been using a MB X4 Destruction for a few years now and love it for 1/2 oz chatterbaits and 65lb braid. I know its no longer made so I dread the day something happens to it.

This is what I've used too. Works great, but I'm a chatterbait rookie so don't know if a faster or slower action rod would do better?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby DavidSA » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:35 pm

I generally only fish chatterbaits in the spring and I generally fish big ones that I think have TW of roughly 3/4oz. In the pond behind my home, I will normally use a 3 power rod. On a lake I have lost some of the biggest fish of the year around laydownds that I could not initially see. For this reason, I fish stouter rods for chatterbaits and chatterfrogs most of the time. My weapon of choice is a 4 power -ish rod and 40# braid. In close quarters, I use an old custom Loomis MBR 847 and braid. If in open water, I use a Dobyns 765 graphite crankbait rod and the same braid.

Cristo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby Cristo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:07 pm

No disrespect Spooky :big grin: Different Strokes for different folks you dig, I fish a lot more weird than most folks as well so who cares as long as you're catching fish Mang!
"I don't keep track of time, otherwise time will keep track of you" .....Cambo

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby DavidSA » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 am

spookybaits wrote:
njbasscat wrote:I have been using a MB X4 Destruction for a few years now and love it for 1/2 oz chatterbaits and 65lb braid. I know its no longer made so I dread the day something happens to it.

This is what I've used too. Works great, but I'm a chatterbait rookie so don't know if a faster or slower action rod would do better?

I've caught many chatter fish on a fast action rod over the years but now tend to like a more moderate action rod as long as I can still make the pinpoint casts. As I have gone to slower action rods I have started using braid. If one can't find a more moderate rod they like, I would not hesitate to stay with a fast action rod.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby njbasscat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:46 am

DavidSA wrote:
spookybaits wrote:

I've caught many chatter fish on a fast action rod over the years but now tend to like a more moderate action rod as long as I can still make the pinpoint casts. As I have gone to slower action rods I have started using braid. If one can't find a more moderate rod they like, I would not hesitate to stay with a fast action rod.

Same here. If I'm using a fast action, I go with fluoro. If more moderate, braid works well. I fish chatterbaits around grass mostly and the MB X4 Destruction seems to have been made for this. Its got the muscle to get the big ones heads turned but a nice moderate action to keep them hooked. This is the most versatile rod I've ever used. I can punch mats or throw big bait trebles. It handles it all.

atxguy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby atxguy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:56 am

Over or under $750?

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Boonethelunkerlander » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:19 am

GLX 844MBR, 200 Curado and 14lb Sniper...Wickedly awesome yet pointless Chatterbait rod HAHA!
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Rfdong » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 pm

I use an old steez fle x lite crankbait rod. But I think it's important to have some give when those fish slap at it rather than eat it did. You'll hook more of those fish when that happens

I have the dobyns 736 but it's a little deader feeling and a bit long and heavy for my tastes but I'm not a tall guy
Last edited by Rfdong on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby poisonokie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:05 am

atxguy wrote:Over or under $750?

Okay, Brett...
Cast baits, not doubts.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Chicagoed » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Boonethelunkerlander wrote:GLX 844MBR, 200 Curado and 14lb Sniper...Wickedly awesome yet pointless Chatterbait rod HAHA!

I LIKE IT! That's the rod I use for chatterbaits, 'cept for adding a zillion tws with fluoro. Love that setup for chatterbaits!

Return to “Rods”