Chatterbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby ccass » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Rfdong wrote:I use an old steez flexible x life crankbait rod. But I think it's important to have some give when those fish slap at it rather than eat it did. You'll hook more of those fish when that happens

I have the dobyns 736 but it's a little deader feeling and a bit long and heavy for my tastes but I'm not a tall guy


I've caught plenty of big smallmouth using chatterbaits on the Fle-X-Lite. 7 foot medium.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am
Location: NoVA

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby bigfruits » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:09 am

i love throwing skirtless bladed jigs with keitech trailers. i typically use a MH fast for grass, open water or moderate cover. for slow rolling a heavy one on the bottom ill use a heavy power.

i can recommend these:
old GLX 783 - roll casts and pitching to laydowns
old GLX 843, NRX 843. Destroyer Daemos - all around chatterbait rods
old GLX 844 - heavy bait bumping bottom
1st gen XX DSR - more moderate action for distance

would love to try the javelin. the current GLX 843 and 844 might be worth looking into. no experience with either 3 of these rods.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:43 am
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby hungry_cow » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:16 am

Your natural hook set determines your ideal chatterbait rod. If you use a monster hook set like Brett Hite where you walk backwards and slam the hook home then you are better off with a MH / H glass type deep cranking rod like the Evergreen Combat Stick, MH Flexlite, Dobyns 765 glass, etc. to keep from pulling the bait away from the fish on the hookset. And once you hook a bass on that type of rod with a chatterbait they stay pinned.

But if you just kind of turn and load into a fish for your hook set like with a crankbait then you will miss allot of fish with that type of rod. That is my natural hookset with a chatterbait and I find I have a better hooking ratio with a moderate fast action "do everything" type graphite rod like the Nautilus or Javelin. The Daemos should also work well as would a loomis 843.

There is a reason pros use both types of rods, pick the one that best matches your natural hook set and style of fishing.

User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby ccass » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:32 am

hungry_cow wrote:Your natural hook set determines your ideal chatterbait rod. If you use a monster hook set like Brett Hite where you walk backwards and slam the hook home then you are better off with a MH / H glass type deep cranking rod like the Evergreen Combat Stick, MH Flexlite, Dobyns 765 glass, etc. to keep from pulling the bait away from the fish on the hookset. And once you hook a bass on that type of rod with a chatterbait they stay pinned.

But if you just kind of turn and load into a fish for your hook set like with a crankbait then you will miss allot of fish with that type of rod. That is my natural hookset with a chatterbait and I find I have a better hooking ratio with a moderate fast action "do everything" type graphite rod like the Nautilus or Javelin. The Daemos should also work well as would a loomis 843.

There is a reason pros use both types of rods, pick the one that best matches your natural hook set and style of fishing.


Line type plays a factor with the rod as well. Also, how much line you will have out too. With long cast, a softer rod plus FC may lead to missed hooksets, again, depending on the hookset you use. Short cast, stiff rod and braid may rip a lot of lips.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 6:43 am
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby hungry_cow » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:25 am

Very true, my post was assuming the use of Flourocarbin line. Braid with a graphite rod leads to allot of missed bites as there isn't enough give for them to get the bait deep. But braid with a fiberglass deep cranking type rod can be a good option as you have similar overall give to a moderate fast action graphite rod with flourocarbon. You can also pick the rod you prefer for casting and working the bait and pick the line with appropriate stretch or lack there of to give the setup the ideal stretch / flex for your natural hookset.

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby spookybaits » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:05 am

For me, when it comes to chatterbaits Hite's word is the gospel. If he says use moderate action rods, fluorocarbon and a sweeping side hookset, that's what I'm doing.

https://youtu.be/ZVjNnn6cfBQ


For those who listen to podcasts, the Bass Talk Live podcast/documentary with Hite about the chatterbait is priceless. That man has spent a decade perfecting it, and the best way to to fish it. He is THE master.

Scroll down to the march 6th episode- http://basstalklive.podomatic.com
Last edited by spookybaits on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ccass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby ccass » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:08 am

hungry_cow wrote:Very true, my post was assuming the use of Flourocarbin line. Braid with a graphite rod leads to allot of missed bites as there isn't enough give for them to get the bait deep. But braid with a fiberglass deep cranking type rod can be a good option as you have similar overall give to a moderate fast action graphite rod with flourocarbon. You can also pick the rod you prefer for casting and working the bait and pick the line with appropriate stretch or lack there of to give the setup the ideal stretch / flex for your natural hookset.


Braid plus a moderate rod will most likely give you the most distance. The softer rod helps absorb shock next the the boat better than stretchy line on a stiff rod, because there is not much line to help you out.

I'm going to try out the Orochi XX Tour Versatile I picked up from The Tackle Trap for chatterbaits, frogs and, everything else one would use for MH/H stuff. I plan on using it for a do-all rod for heavier moving baits/frogs/jigs.

Should be a good candidate.

I've also used glass rods with FC. I've missed a few on the hookset but, when I got them pinned, I would wish for no better setup for finishing the fight.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi

User avatar
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4592
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:41 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby Tokugawa » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:00 pm

spookybaits wrote:For me, when it comes to chatterbaits Hite's word is the gospel. If he says use moderate action rods, fluorocarbon and a sweeping side hookset, that's what I'm doing.

https://youtu.be/ZVjNnn6cfBQ


For those who listen to podcasts, the Bass Talk Live podcast/documentary with Hite about the chatterbait is priceless. That man has spent a decade perfecting it, and the best way to to fish it. He is THE master.

Scroll down to the march 6th episode- http://basstalklive.podomatic.com


I have had good success throwing chatterbaits with the MB P3 777 Record Breaker and #18 Sunline Structure FC. Power, forgiveness and sensitivity.

User avatar
poisonokie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby poisonokie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:13 pm

I've had a very high hook-up and landing ratios using a combo of a MH glass composite Tatula, Zillion TWS 6.3, & 40# J-braid, but after getting a new rod and moving some reels around I'm gonna give it a shot with a 7.1 OG Zillion spooled with 15# Invizx mounted on that stick.

I stick 'em pretty much every time by reeling up, letting it load, and firmly sweeping into a hookset, so if I start failing to hook up I may go with a more aggressive hook set, but I won't hesitate to go right back to 40# braid since that was so successful for me. Then again, if I do keep landing 'em at a high rate, but find them less securely hooked, I may finally splurge on some shooter. I don't know, we'll see. Either way it'll be fun to experiment around with it.
Cast baits, not doubts.

Revofisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby Revofisher » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:40 pm

last year i used a powell 755 glass cranking rod with good success and a avid med hvy fast tip also great. I did notice when the grass got really bad mid may i wanted the fast tip over the glass composite. This year i have used the megabass destroyer usa javelin and that worked really awesome almost like you get the best of both worlds with that stick even when they would hit close i still landed the fish. have yet to lose a fish on that combo. Recently i have been using the gen 2 expride 7,2 med hvy glass rod and really like it as well for 3/8 oz chatterbaits. With fluro i have noticed some weak hook ups really far out but i feel with braid it would connect better if the bait is a mile from your location and a fish hits it. All in all really liking the expride for chatters as well.

User avatar
SpecksReds
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: South LA

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby SpecksReds » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:14 pm

I have been using the Gloomis E6x Inshore 7’ MH Fast 20lb Sunline FC Sniper with ABU ALX. One of my very first Chatterbait fish was 4.8lbs. I tried a softer rod couldn’t stand the lack of feel if you know what I mean.

Cressy
Angler
Angler
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:59 am

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby Cressy » Fri May 04, 2018 2:28 pm

I’ve been using a few different rods for my Chatterbait fishing but I was wondering if anyone has used the Megabass Black Jungle deep throat custom for chatterbaits? I would appreciate any feedback thank you all always!

User avatar
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2771
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Ashland, NE

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby Finnz922 » Fri May 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Irod 723 Stone Cold Swim and Vibrating Jig rod. With 15 or 17lb fluoro on a 6.3 reel.
IROD Pro Staff
Humminbird/Minn Kota Pro Staff

User avatar
LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby LowRange » Fri May 04, 2018 11:52 pm

Cressy wrote:I’ve been using a few different rods for my Chatterbait fishing but I was wondering if anyone has used the Megabass Black Jungle deep throat custom for chatterbaits? I would appreciate any feedback thank you all always!


I'd recommend starting a new topic to summon Gary of The Tackle Trap. He knows his MB sticks.

User avatar
Cristo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am
Location: The Dusty Basin

Re: Chatterbait rod

Postby Cristo » Sat May 05, 2018 4:48 pm

I have used the deep throat custom from the black jungle for chatterbaits and trailers in the half ounce shockblade type. It handles them a lovey :big grin:
"I don't keep track of time, otherwise time will keep track of you" .....Cambo


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests