G Loomis demo rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

G Loomis demo rods

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:13 am

I saw on GLoomis website that the demo rods are not covered under warranty anymore and do not qualify for xpeditor service. Is it still worth it to buy demo rods vs new?

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: G Loomis demo rods

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:17 am

I have a G Loomis demo rod that's over 30 years old and gets used all the time, by far my favorite rod. A spinning rod being sold in a fly shop, got a great deal. Warranty? None, none needed, if it broke tomorrow I have so many great memories with that rod.
If warranty is your driving force you know your answer already, if not, take the time to write down your needs, than prioritize them for your answer.
Personally I think they should get rid of all warranties past 90 days.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:27 am

I've broken maybe 3 rods in 40 years and most were several years old or older. I wish rod manufactures would sell rods with little or no warranty at a lower price, not jacked up from replacement for any reason warranties. Give me 20 % off for demo, I'm in.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:34 am

The thing is even with the demo price it is still expensive. Some rod companies are less pricy but still offer lifetime warranty. I have not broken much rods but its still nice to have warranty on a rod that costs 350 dollars or more. Even though its a demo rod.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:38 pm

How do you know a rod is a demo ? Are they marked in some way? I’ve bought demo rods and reels and haven’t noticed anything.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:18 pm

barrys wrote:How do you know a rod is a demo ? Are they marked in some way? I’ve bought demo rods and reels and haven’t noticed anything.
Thats what I was wondering too

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 am

Well this is unfortunate. I don't own a demo rod but I did have my eye on an nrx demo to purchase in the near future.
barrys wrote:How do you know a rod is a demo ? Are they marked in some way? I’ve bought demo rods and reels and haven’t noticed anything.
This. I hadn't heard of anything that differentiated them in the past, however maybe something will be done from now on. It's not like you need to provide a receipt when using the Xpeditor service that would show it was purchased as a demo versus new.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Gary from 3T will probably chime in. He can certainly break it all down. They sell demos and from my understanding they were still warranted but I could be wrong on that :-k

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:23 pm

My G Loomis demo and my Sage demos both have DEMO handwritten, or stickered on them under the epoxy.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:46 pm

Probably find that the quality of the blanks will be above normal and build quality as such.

Nothing spells ruin than a 'demo' blowing up in your hands while being in front of a prospective buyer.

Given the chance I'd buy one as long as it passed the bendy test, pretty much what all rod buyers do in a shop before purchasing.

cbburke74
Angler
Angler

Post by cbburke74 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Yes, I was wondering about that --- I have looked online to see if there is any image of it.

To be honest, I haven't found one like that with the "DEMO" on the rod.