Megabass Orochi XXX or Phenix Feather Bass

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass Orochi XXX or Phenix Feather Bass

Post by Salty Parrot » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi all, I was looking for reviews of this rod. I searched online it seems like not alot of people post reviews on it. I am stuck between a Phenix Feather Bass 7'1 L or 7'1 ML. For the megabass it would be the F2.5-67k Black Themis. I am looking for a light rod for ned rigs and other small soft plastics but possibly when needed to switch over to a small jerkbait or topwater but mostly bottom contact. Any reviews of either rods? Thanks.

HdnRibs
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi XXX or Phenix Feather Bass

Post by HdnRibs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:55 pm

I took the Phenix Feather 7'1' ML out last evening to see how it cast and to test its sensitivity. I put a Shimano Chronarch ci4+ on it spooled with 12lb Gamma mono. I only tried one lure, a 3/16 jig head with a 3" swimbait.

Despite the fact that that reel may not be an ideal match to the very light rod, the combo balanced very well and really cast the swimbait. I am quite happy with that aspect of the combo.

To test the sensitivity, I simply cast the jig/swimbait combo out as far as I could and let it sink to the bottom. At the extreme end of the cast, I could not really distinguish what kind of bottom I was on or if I was encountering any objects. The combination of the mono, the length of the cast, and what may have just been a clean bottom did not give the rod much chance to give me much feedback.

However, as I retrieved the rig closer to me I was able to feel the mud and the occasional rock on the bottom of the lake. When I cast the swimbait out and just retrieved it, I could easily feel the paddle tail working at any point in the cast. With florocarbon, I am sure the rod will be more than adequate for everything I intend to do with it.

I am a big Megabass fan, I have 6 of them, so I am sure you would be fine with either rod, "but variety is the spice of life."

Now, I need to get to the store and get some 8lb Sunline Sniper for the Chronarch and really get to using the combo!
Fighting the tackle monkey day by day hour by hour

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Do you think the black themis will be comparable to the ml phenix? In terms of power and action

HdnRibs
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HdnRibs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:53 pm

The Phenix is 6" longer, slower action, and rated a little heavier on the lures, so I don't think you can directly compare them.

Based on the specs, the Phenix is a little more versatile. But, if the length and/or lure weight are important, you have two different choices. Paraphrasing a wise man, do the Tackletour thing and get them both! :lol:
Fighting the tackle monkey day by day hour by hour

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Now im stuck between the megabass, phenix or a gloomis glx 842 mbr

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:36 am

I think you should get the Black Themis because I am really curious about it don't seem to be any reviews of it online

:D
Last edited by Houndfish on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:00 am

Great rod. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 am

Houndfish wrote:I think you should get the Black Themis because I am really curious about it don't seem to be any reviews of it online

:D
I am too but I don't wanna deal with returns in case I don't like it haha.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:40 am

I can tell you that the Black Themis is noticeably lighter in power than the MBR 842c GLX. It's a full power lighter - the Loomis is a strong Medium powered rod and may be too much for what you want to do depending on your personal preferences. The Black Themis will certainly get the job done with those open hook applications. They're in stock at The Tackle Trap.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 am

bronzefly wrote:I can tell you that the Black Themis is noticeably lighter in power than the MBR 842c GLX. It's a full power lighter - the Loomis is a strong Medium powered rod and may be too much for what you want to do depending on your personal preferences. The Black Themis will certainly get the job done with those open hook applications. They're in stock at The Tackle Trap.
I think I just talked to you over the phone, how does the black elseil compare to the themis?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 am

Salty Parrot wrote:
bronzefly wrote:I can tell you that the Black Themis is noticeably lighter in power than the MBR 842c GLX. It's a full power lighter - the Loomis is a strong Medium powered rod and may be too much for what you want to do depending on your personal preferences. The Black Themis will certainly get the job done with those open hook applications. They're in stock at The Tackle Trap.
I think I just talked to you over the phone, how does the black elseil compare to the themis?
The Black Elseil is also a medium power rod, just with a much slower action than the MBR 842c GLX. The BE is a treble hook moving bait rod first and foremost. The Black Themis is an extra fast action rod designed for exactly the finesse single hook type stuff you're intending to fish.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:43 pm

So, if I have a Phenix Recon2 C681L BFS rod and a XX Drop Shot rod and if I want to sell them and combine their uses into a single rod, will be XXX Black Themis work for this?

I like the Phenix but I use it for weightless/lightly weighted plastics like 80%, so the more ModFast action isn't super useful and while the rod is generally pretty good for plastics, I have for sure missed some hooksets when my attention was drifting and I neglected to get all my slack out before I set the hook. The XX Drop Shot is a great DS rod, but it feels weird to me for almost anything else. I was going to replace it with a Addermine or the upcoming XX "Mystery Rod", but the idea of using one rod for all my finesse plastic presentations is appealing to me. The only hard baits I really use with the Phenix are like J7 Rapalas, MB Pop X, 3/16 Pond Magic spinnerbaits, and the occasional tiny squarebills. I would think a XF would work ok for all of those lures, but I am not sure how the Themis would do as a DS rod. For that presentation I use t-rigged 6" Robos most of the time and "weedless nosehooked" 4" plastics the rest of the time.

I also would love to know how the Themis casts at the lowest end of it's range. I do like to fish some small stuff with my Phenix, usually nothing below 3/16 total weight, but I want at least a little room on the bottom end.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Houndfish wrote:So, if I have a Phenix Recon2 C681L BFS rod and a XX Drop Shot rod and if I want to sell them and combine their uses into a single rod, will be XXX Black Themis work for this?

I like the Phenix but I use it for weightless/lightly weighted plastics like 80%, so the more ModFast action isn't super useful and while the rod is generally pretty good for plastics, I have for sure missed some hooksets when my attention was drifting and I neglected to get all my slack out before I set the hook. The XX Drop Shot is a great DS rod, but it feels weird to me for almost anything else. I was going to replace it with a Addermine or the upcoming XX "Mystery Rod", but the idea of using one rod for all my finesse plastic presentations is appealing to me. The only hard baits I really use with the Phenix are like J7 Rapalas, MB Pop X, 3/16 Pond Magic spinnerbaits, and the occasional tiny squarebills. I would think a XF would work ok for all of those lures, but I am not sure how the Themis would do as a DS rod. For that presentation I use t-rigged 6" Robos most of the time and "weedless nosehooked" 4" plastics the rest of the time.

I also would love to know how the Themis casts at the lowest end of it's range. I do like to fish some small stuff with my Phenix, usually nothing below 3/16 total weight, but I want at least a little room on the bottom end.
Im on the same boat as you.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:25 am

I've thrown a range of 1/4 oz hard baits on the Black Themis with no problems whatsoever - small poppers and 0.5 sized cranks to be specific. I haven't fished the rod a lot, but it is a very versatile, very capable finesse oriented rod in my hands. I know nothing about the Phenix, but there's no doubt you can drop shot effectively with the Black Themis. Guys who have gotten them from us have been very positive on it for the most part. Some guys don't like the reel seat which has been the biggest complaint of that series.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:32 am

Placed an order for the themis. Cant wait.