Daiwa Tatula elite Brent Ehler

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa Tatula elite Brent Ehler

Post by goldrod » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:06 am

7’0”
1/8-1 oz

got the rod in yesterday and paired it with a IS73
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Tatula elite Brent Ehler

Post by goldrod » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:21 am

The rod is very light and casting accuracy actually (real not perceived) was totally improved.
The action of this rod is kinda funky. First fish hit a 1/4 shakey head worm on the end of the cast and the fish
must have had retriever in its blood because it came straight for me but i could not set the hook no matter what
I think it was because of the thickness of the worm a 47 missle baits. After that i went to zoom and the hook sets
were on but i also had to reposition my hand from my normal. I’d have to take a picture to describe it

I’m getting to know this stick but i didn’t mention sensitivity because i think i’m using 12# test izo line but it may be 15#
i am going to switch this old line for some floro because there were times when i did NOT feel connected to the rod and
that pissed me off because an H3 kistler is in the same or less price point and those blanks are goood. At times i thought my
lure was on the bottom but it was not. I can see using this rod for toowater poppers , maybe chatter bait 3/8 and less
oh before i forget the rod loads at the 4th guide very and that shut off is crisp. the jury is still out on this rod for day one
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:52 pm

After much trial and error I've went with a steez LTD and MB honeycomb spool( the reel didn't come with the original spool ).
Because I like a larger drag star Im using a zaion drag star. The combo seems to complement each other and its light rather light if anyone is interested.
Attachments
ltd2.jpeg
ltd2.jpeg (17.07 KiB) Viewed 7492 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:00 pm

Very light T-rig setup.
Attachments
ltd2.jpeg
ltd2.jpeg (17.07 KiB) Viewed 7491 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:01 pm

I need to improve the drag
Attachments
ltd3.jpg
carbon fiber guide
ltd3.jpg (24.32 KiB) Viewed 7490 times
LTD.jpeg
Steez LTD with MB honeycomb Spool and Ziaon Drag star.
LTD.jpeg (91.26 KiB) Viewed 7490 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Anyone using this rod for poppers ?

Expanding the usefulness of this rod.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon May 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Man, you aren't getting any love in this thread :lol:. I can't offer anything, never fished any of the tatula rods but have looked at the full grip cranking models a few times. I struggle with the looks if I'm being honest. I don't dislike em, they look really futuristic. Just... not my style I guess.

Now that you've got to spend more time with it, what's your thoughts on the sensitivity?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 pm

spookybaits wrote:Man, you aren't getting any love in this thread :lol:. I can't offer anything, never fished any of the tatula rods but have looked at the full grip cranking models a few times. I struggle with the looks if I'm being honest. I don't dislike em, they look really futuristic. Just... not my style I guess.

Now that you've got to spend more time with it, what's your thoughts on the sensitivity?
I'm curious as well...I've never been a big fan of most Daiwa sticks for sensitivity. I remember fishing a Zillion several years back for unweighted Senkos, and I felt totally lost.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue May 15, 2018 4:27 am

yeah still havent used one of those yet i had a cronos for a bit and really liked that rod so that was my first daiwa rod i believe that i have owned. a few weeks ago i took a trip to tackle trap to feel out some megabass and conquest rods before i pulled the trigger instead of doing the usual man this rod looks good on paper purchase. When i arrived at tackle trap instantly felt loved by all the staff and helped in any way possible. Anyway i went through the paces and felt out the rods and really liked the new tatula rods that i handled especially the 7'6 spinning rods they had interesting tips on them for sure. I cant speak of how they fish but they did feel great and had a cool tip action. i wouldn't hesitate to use that for a popper rod i believe it would be great. The funny thing was I ended up going there with getting a high end combo and ended up leaving with a 7'6 hammer rod full grip and curado K lol that rod was really cool and i would of never bought one of those at all but Gary was like check this out and as soon as i handled it i bought it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue May 15, 2018 5:39 am

spookybaits wrote:Man, you aren't getting any love in this thread :lol:. I can't offer anything, never fished any of the tatula rods but have looked at the full grip cranking models a few times. I struggle with the looks if I'm being honest. I don't dislike em, they look really futuristic. Just... not my style I guess.

No love at all on this one.
I’ve played around with the rod and I like the action. The color is unique but it varies from bright to dull in the light.
I’m not OVERWHELMED with the sensitivity hence the question about topwater use. I hope that TT.com does a review based primarily on the action
and the durability of the guides. It is one stick that is the most unique in my lineup

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 pm

I don't know how I missed this thread before but I have to say that I really love these rods. I have had the first one since before they were officially introduced and liked it so much that I got another. I have the first rod paired with a Steez SV TW with a megabass IS spool. The second I have paired with a Tatula SV. I use these primarily for bottom contact applications for what I call Hillbilly BFS, meaning jigs, tubes, etc, with heads 1/8 to 3/16 ounce.

I have had no issues with sensitivity and I reckon the main reason must be that I have never used either of these rods with floro or mono, as both reels are spooled with Gliss.
Last edited by daiwafan on Tue May 15, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue May 15, 2018 5:14 pm

daiwafan wrote:I don't know how I missed this thread before but I have to say that I really love these rods. I have had the first one since before they were officially introduced and liked it so much that I got another. I have the first rod paired with a Steez SV TW with a megabass IS spool. The second I have paired with a Tatula SV. I use these primarily for bottom contact applications for what I call Hillbilly BFS, meaning jigs, tubes, etc, with heads 1/8 to 3/16 ounce.
Do you have this specific model?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 16, 2018 5:27 pm

ss sv turn steez and tatula
i call it statula ..lol
Attachments
stat.jpg
stat.jpg (91.79 KiB) Viewed 6921 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 16, 2018 5:31 pm

so i took this rod out again :-k :-k
Attachments
statula.jpg
statula.jpg (92.23 KiB) Viewed 6921 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 pm

about this rod...
It cast amazing.. Ive casted 1/4 jigs, megabass propdarters, weightless flukes..etc..
I even casted a yozuri popper style bait..and I got several bites.. one good bite on the popper but they all came off.
EVERY SINGLE FISH came off, I could see the popper sitting in the fishes mouth.. I dont know why or how they got off.
the line is 12lb berkley trilene..
This rod is very perplexing to me and I am striving for a something good that it does aside from casting accuracy. It has a back bone and I can see it as a topwater bait rod.. I just can't seem to catch a fish.. most of the bites were 4 or 6 feet from me. It cast a weightless fluke and I can tell exactly what the fluke is doing and what its in, Im going to play with this combo some more.
I have a SV spool that has been modded and I have a MB honeycomb spool for it. Seems like 10 test floro is good for the rod..
I just quit today because the fish would not stay button up.. they drag was set.. and it was UPGRADED so it definitely locks down