A rod like my Cumara..

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bCody
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

A rod like my Cumara..

Post by bCody » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Guys, I have one of the red Shimano Cumara's.. It's the 7'-2" MH rod.. Not the extra fast version.

This rod handles lite tx rigs so well, and I'm wondering if you guys knew of other rods similar to this one. It's a lite rod, and it throws these lite rigs (3/16oz) so well in my opinion.

What you guys think?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: A rod like my Cumara..

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Maybe an Adrena? I've only fished the original Cumara, but the Adrena is similar imo, with a better blank and components. Plus it rates about a 9 out of 10 on the sexiness meter.

bCody
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bCody » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:50 am

VinnyOA wrote:An uglystick :)
Perfect.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:38 am

I never used a red Cumura but the Zodias replaced it. Have you tried one of those? I had the 172M model and used it for light texas rigs. It was a good rod for its price point but I only used it for about half a season. Ended up selling it to get something with more sensitivity and bought an NRX off a buddy. My buddy who bought the rod had been using Crucials and Cumuras for a while and really liked the rod. I just view this as probably the closest thing you will find in the Shimano lineup to a red Cumura.

I know the price point was a little lower than the Cumura but for the price of the rod, it was pretty impressive.

bCody
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bCody » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 am

lape0019 wrote:I never used a red Cumura but the Zodias replaced it. Have you tried one of those? I had the 172M model and used it for light texas rigs. It was a good rod for its price point but I only used it for about half a season. Ended up selling it to get something with more sensitivity and bought an NRX off a buddy. My buddy who bought the rod had been using Crucials and Cumuras for a while and really liked the rod. I just view this as probably the closest thing you will find in the Shimano lineup to a red Cumura.

I know the price point was a little lower than the Cumura but for the price of the rod, it was pretty impressive.
Thanks for the reply. I just put my hands on a Zodias last week. I jut love the lite'ness of the cumara, so I'll keep searching.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:03 am

I'm also a fan of all cumara's, especially the model that you mention. The Loomis NRX 854c is one worth looking at. It is an inch shorter, and lighter at 3.9 oz vs. 4.1–4.2 oz. You won't give up anything in terms of sensitivity, balance or pitching prowess. The Heavy power also feels more like a MH to me. As someone mentioned, the Poison Adrena's are also awesome but hard to get now.

bCody
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bCody » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:08 am

cumara wrote:I'm also a fan of all cumara's, especially the model that you mention. The Loomis NRX 854c is one worth looking at. It is an inch shorter, and lighter at 3.9 oz vs. 4.1–4.2 oz. You won't give up anything in terms of sensitivity, balance or pitching prowess. The Heavy power also feels more like a MH to me. As someone mentioned, the Poison Adrena's are also awesome but hard to get now.
Interesting. I would have assumed the 853 would have been the closer option. Like I said, I don't have the XF version on the Cumara.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:22 am

The 854c is Fast action. (Personally I'm not a fan of XF for anything.) Has a little more power than the CUC72MHA, but similar in terms of light weight feel and sensitivity.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:26 pm

The 2nd generation Adrenas are just around the corner. They also have a full monocoque handle. I have the 1st generation 6'10 medium and MH. Extremely light and balanced rods. If you liked the Cumara for those reasons, you will enjoy the Adrena. Plus they're a more universal rod imo.