$300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:21 pm

$300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby jerkbait22 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi Guys,

Looking to pick up a spinning rod this year for mostly bottom contact techniques. Shakey head, hula grubs, tubes, small swimbaits (keitech 3.8/4.3). I currently own a medium light spinning rod for drop shot and neko rigs. I want something with more backbone to be able to set the hook on texas rigged plastics, etc. I think that should put me at about a medium power depending on the manufacturer.

Planning to spend around $300 or so, could go up to $400 if worthwhile. I'm looking at the Dobyns Champion Extreme DX 703SF, the Shimano Expride 7' Medium or possibly 7'2 Medium Heavy and then the Megabass Destroyer Addermine. I'm worried the medium action Expride and Addermine may just be a tad underpowered but have no experience with the rods.

The biggest weight I'd probably use is 3/8oz, maybe 1/2oz every now and then. But you figure with the plastic on a 3/8oz jighead that turns it into 1/2oz or even 5/8oz.

Any opinions of the rods I mentioned above, or suggestions for other make/models to look at?

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby reason162 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:51 pm

I am also very curious about the Addermine vs. the Expride...I've never read so much internet chatter about a spinning rod than I have with the Addermine, while exprides are barely mentioned lol.

Here's a clip of my Expride 7'2 MH in action, notice the tip action...I'm "jiggling" a 1/4oz jighead to a 5" shad impact (link is time stamped at 4:55):

https://youtu.be/f-Qvn_dbh2o?t=295

What surprised me about the 72MH is how "tippy" the rod is. Definitely a spinning rod MH. I wouldn't want to go any lighter for throwing keitech 4.3s, unless you're using a very light wired jig hook.

jerkbait22 wrote:Hi Guys,

Looking to pick up a spinning rod this year for mostly bottom contact techniques. Shakey head, hula grubs, tubes, small swimbaits (keitech 3.8/4.3). I currently own a medium light spinning rod for drop shot and neko rigs. I want something with more backbone to be able to set the hook on texas rigged plastics, etc. I think that should put me at about a medium power depending on the manufacturer.

Planning to spend around $300 or so, could go up to $400 if worthwhile. I'm looking at the Dobyns Champion Extreme DX 703SF, the Shimano Expride 7' Medium or possibly 7'2 Medium Heavy and then the Megabass Destroyer Addermine. I'm worried the medium action Expride and Addermine may just be a tad underpowered but have no experience with the rods.

The biggest weight I'd probably use is 3/8oz, maybe 1/2oz every now and then. But you figure with the plastic on a 3/8oz jighead that turns it into 1/2oz or even 5/8oz.

Any opinions of the rods I mentioned above, or suggestions for other make/models to look at?

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:27 pm
Location: Central Wisconsin

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby Canga- » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 pm

i would look at the 6'8" mxf st croix legend elite, or perhaps the 6'10" mxf elite, they are more than your 300 budget, but are under 400, for sure!

i have 2 of the 6'10" mlxf, and absolutely love these rods, i was not a fan of st croix, had owned from avid to legend extreme in the past, but the new legend elites are special.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 544
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby Tigerbass » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Canga- wrote:i would look at the 6'8" mxf st croix legend elite, or perhaps the 6'10" mxf elite, they are more than your 300 budget, but are under 400, for sure!

i have 2 of the 6'10" mlxf, and absolutely love these rods, i was not a fan of st croix, had owned from avid to legend extreme in the past, but the new legend elites are special.


This. If you want some backbone in a spinning rod, while still having a nice tip, the Legends Elites have it. Great sensitivity too.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:21 pm

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby jerkbait22 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:31 pm

How is the 6'10 Medium XF rated for lower weight than the 6'10 Medium Light XF? MLXF is rated 1/8 - 1/2 and MXF rated 1/8 - 5/16. That doesn't make sense?

This is from both the St. Croix website and TW website.

The 7 foot medium fast is rated more in line with what I'm looking for - 3/16 - 5/8. Can you guys comment on that?

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:21 pm

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby jerkbait22 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Canga- wrote:i would look at the 6'8" mxf st croix legend elite, or perhaps the 6'10" mxf elite, they are more than your 300 budget, but are under 400, for sure!

i have 2 of the 6'10" mlxf, and absolutely love these rods, i was not a fan of st croix, had owned from avid to legend extreme in the past, but the new legend elites are special.


Also what's up with the hook holder?

i_am_R2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby i_am_R2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Agree with the St. Croix suggestions however if you want to stay at your budget the Kistler He3s are worth looking into as well.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:27 pm
Location: Central Wisconsin

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby Canga- » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:06 am

jerkbait22 wrote:How is the 6'10 Medium XF rated for lower weight than the 6'10 Medium Light XF? MLXF is rated 1/8 - 1/2 and MXF rated 1/8 - 5/16. That doesn't make sense?

This is from both the St. Croix website and TW website.

The 7 foot medium fast is rated more in line with what I'm looking for - 3/16 - 5/8. Can you guys comment on that?


As far as I know the rating on the 6’10”Mxf was a mistake from the introduction of that model, I think it has been fixed of the 2018 models (3/16-5/8) below is a link to the 2018 St. Croix catalog, as they haven’t updated their site yet.

The hook keeper is a little weird looking but works well, just a double loop instead of a single

https://issuu.com/st.croixrod/docs/scr_cat2018_issuu

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:21 pm

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby jerkbait22 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:46 am

Canga- wrote:
jerkbait22 wrote:How is the 6'10 Medium XF rated for lower weight than the 6'10 Medium Light XF? MLXF is rated 1/8 - 1/2 and MXF rated 1/8 - 5/16. That doesn't make sense?

This is from both the St. Croix website and TW website.

The 7 foot medium fast is rated more in line with what I'm looking for - 3/16 - 5/8. Can you guys comment on that?


As far as I know the rating on the 6’10”Mxf was a mistake from the introduction of that model, I think it has been fixed of the 2018 models (3/16-5/8) below is a link to the 2018 St. Croix catalog, as they haven’t updated their site yet.

The hook keeper is a little weird looking but works well, just a double loop instead of a single

https://issuu.com/st.croixrod/docs/scr_cat2018_issuu


Thanks for clarifying Canga. Any opinions as to when you'd want the 6'10 MXF over the 7' MF action?

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:10 am

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby meach » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:42 pm

I really like my Dx703sf for my all around spinning rod..It handles senkos, jerkbaits and jigs..3/8 jig and a chunk trailer are no problem with it..it's a very crisp and responsive rod...I've thrown just about every technique on it and it has responded well...but it really shines with trigs and jigs...1/4-3/8..although the 1/4 is pushing the low end..I can't feel the bottom as well with 1/4 oz jig head...could be just me though.but I prefer 5/16 to 3/8 when fishing this rod..anything lighter I use my nrx852s...good luck deciding.
You must unlearn what you have learned

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:02 am

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby Kschultz76 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:07 am

I love my Addermine, it’s a sweet stick, but I think based on my time with it that it’s got more power then a traditional Dropshot rod. So far it’s great for heavier drop shots using senkos, shakeyheads, and weightless senkos. But I think my St Croix M/F sticks still have more backbone. I also have the St Croix M/XF in a Legend Xtreme, and it’s a creat weightless senko rod, but the tip is a light tip with an almost hinge like action that huts down into the backbone really fast. I think for the versatility you’re looking for the St Croix in a M/F is better suited. I’d also consider a Kistler Helium 3 Light/Medium Heavy for your needs. I have a casting version of that stick and it’s great, but a bit more powerful then a st Croix M/F for sure.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby Brad in Texas » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:39 am

The St Croix spinning rods are among my very favorites. I own more of these than any other brand partly because they have great panfish rods and I also like a source for shorter stout rods for kayak fishing. The latter is often overlooked: short rods are great on small boats for finesse. One of my faves is a 5'6" Medium, fast tip.

And, that St. Croix Legend Elite mentioned above would be a dandy. It uses a very high modulus graphite bonded to other strengths. It gives it super strength with a lighter and smaller diameter.

Hmm? One I think I'd want to try as much would be the new technology rods from G-Rods International. I have one, a trout rod, and it feels so different from anything else I have ever used. These rods use graphene, a single carbon atom width fabric that is incredibly strong (world's strongest material by weight as I recall). It is so different. I love it, need to try it on a bass rod. (I have no affiliation with anyone.)

I'd at least take a look at G-Rod's Pro Bass 7'4" MHS spinning rod. It retails at $370. It is rated for 3/8s to 1 1/8s for a nice range. You could use it as a spinning rod power stick for average sized T-Rigs and slightly heavier presentations . . . all the way up to dragging a meaty Carolina Rig or some big jigs. This would be a phenomenal rod, well reviewed in every case I have read (the rod company products in general, not this particular rod). At 7'4", it'd be a heck of a good casting rod, too.

***********************************************************************************************************

Finally, the attachment below is "must reading" for anyone wanting to use spinning tackle for heavier applications in freshwater. I have read this over and over and over. I hope all of you find it as valuable as I have.

Brad

https://www.flwfishing.com/tips/2014-04-22-going-big-with-a-spinning-rod

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 821
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby wirinhar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:56 pm

Brad in Texas wrote:The St Croix spinning rods are among my very favorites. I own more of these than any other brand partly because they have great panfish rods and I also like a source for shorter stout rods for kayak fishing. The latter is often overlooked: short rods are great on small boats for finesse. One of my faves is a 5'6" Medium, fast tip.

And, that St. Croix Legend Elite mentioned above would be a dandy. It uses a very high modulus graphite bonded to other strengths. It gives it super strength with a lighter and smaller diameter.

Hmm? One I think I'd want to try as much would be the new technology rods from G-Rods International. I have one, a trout rod, and it feels so different from anything else I have ever used. These rods use graphene, a single carbon atom width fabric that is incredibly strong (world's strongest material by weight as I recall). It is so different. I love it, need to try it on a bass rod. (I have no affiliation with anyone.)

I'd at least take a look at G-Rod's Pro Bass 7'4" MHS spinning rod. It retails at $370. It is rated for 3/8s to 1 1/8s for a nice range. You could use it as a spinning rod power stick for average sized T-Rigs and slightly heavier presentations . . . all the way up to dragging a meaty Carolina Rig or some big jigs. This would be a phenomenal rod, well reviewed in every case I have read (the rod company products in general, not this particular rod). At 7'4", it'd be a heck of a good casting rod, too.

***********************************************************************************************************

Finally, the attachment below is "must reading" for anyone wanting to use spinning tackle for heavier applications in freshwater. I have read this over and over and over. I hope all of you find it as valuable as I have.

Brad

https://www.flwfishing.com/tips/2014-04-22-going-big-with-a-spinning-rod


Hi Brad,

GRods Pro Bass and Game Changer bait casting rods are always a winner when it comes to Giant Snakehead fishing for me. basically I am fishing like a real boss :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:

I just check out the G Rods International Pro Bass spinning rods and 7'4" is sold out.

Anyway just wondering has anyone used their Pro Bass spinning rods such as 6'11"MLS or the 7' MS??? I am going smaller baits and for 6'11", the Lure weight is just 1/16 - 1/2 oz..... :-k :-k :-k

Thank you all in advance,
WW

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby Brad in Texas » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:02 pm

WW, I haven't tried one yet.

I did hear from another member here who sort of acts as a team pro a bit for G-Rods that the company altered its designs for the better. They had some issues related to tips as I recall. The issue was related to anglers sort of manhandling bass, swinging them in aggressively. Not at all certain what they might have done.

And, he mentioned that these graphene rods were very popular in Europe and inventory was low at times owing to so much inventory being shipped overseas.

This might account for the lack of availability for a few models now. These comments were mentioned to me quite some time ago.

Brad

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 821
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: $300 spinning rod for bottom contact techniques

Postby wirinhar » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:43 am

Brad in Texas wrote:WW, I haven't tried one yet.

I did hear from another member here who sort of acts as a team pro a bit for G-Rods that the company altered its designs for the better. They had some issues related to tips as I recall. The issue was related to anglers sort of manhandling bass, swinging them in aggressively. Not at all certain what they might have done.

And, he mentioned that these graphene rods were very popular in Europe and inventory was low at times owing to so much inventory being shipped overseas.

This might account for the lack of availability for a few models now. These comments were mentioned to me quite some time ago.

Brad


Thanks for info, Brad!!!

all the ProBass spinning is out and I just checked with them. :crying: :crying: :crying:

Hope to see them coming out next year with torzite guides and so on.

Once again, Thanks!!!

WW


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests