Advice on light power casting rod....

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Advice on light power casting rod....

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm looking for a light or ul casting rod to toss 2 to 8 gram cranks. This is what I don't want.... SKS or any other split reel seat, not noodly, but not fast, either and no gaudy colors...
Now for what I prefer....6-8 to 7-3, split or full grip EVA handle, micro or mid-micro guides that are braid-friendly, either 1 pc. or 2 pc. would be ok. I like the idea of the Dobyns DX 701, but I don't think it's made anymore.
Due to the length I'm looking for, the various JDM trout rods are a no-go and the BFS rods I have seen are all very fast and not well-suited to tiny treble hooks. I have almost just said 'screw it' and went the custom route, but I want to hear any suggestions before I do that. Thanks in advance! :D
P.S. I have owned the Volkey 682XUL and even it was just too fast for anything under 1/8 oz.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Advice on light power casting rod....

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:13 pm

I have been happy with my Major Craft N-One BF in 7’8”, which is described as regular-fast. However, I find it regular/moderate and really like it for my inline spinners and small crankbaits and minnows (treble hook lures). It comes in your preferred length interval:
http://www.majorcraft.co.jp/roditem/4414?lang=en
Be aware that it features spiral wrap.

Look forward to hearing what others have to say and what you end up with.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:27 pm

Well being you don't like composite rods, the only sticks that come to mind are the Phenix Recon 682 and 712. Nevermind the ratings, it will do what you want it to. May have a little more power than you want, but it's in all the right places. Forgiving tip and deep bend, all good for what you want. Otherwise custom bud. Raid Japan has a crankbait line called the Gladiator. I believe they have some light powered rods. Unfortunately, they're full cork. Beautiful rods though, oh yeah - not cheap. I use my Expride 6'8 composite. It's a killer rod, but I think the sweet spot is more around a quarter ounce. I can tell you from personal experience that the MHX High mod 842 popping blank is absolutely perfect for your desires.

gumbygold
Angler
Angler

Post by gumbygold » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:16 am

Go to a cabelas or field and stream and see if they have the Skeete Reese (W&M) Fluke rod. Might be more stiff than you want but it could be close. Disclaimer: I haven't thrown any 2-4 gm baits with it.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:54 am

Have a custom made and be done with it :lol:

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 pm

Id suggest the rattle viper type f, but I think I saw that you just sold one

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:55 pm

njbasscat wrote:Have a custom made and be done with it :lol:
It's looking that way.....I was looking at the K2 712, rated down to 1/32 oz, but I think 46T graphite is still gonna be too stiff, even at that weight range. Other candidates are the Phenix Maxim MAX-S610L - B blank. Since it's primarily for small cranks, the K2 is a bit on the expensive side. I'll wait and buy the 736 K2 for a jig rod if I'm gonna drop that much coin. ;)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:12 pm

Here is a video I put together for selecting a BFS rod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pog_Uf2NTU

Also, I'll be dropping another BFS video with a sweet AliExpress rod. I am more excited to use the new BFS rod than I was about the G Loomis Conquest \:D/

For the small cranks, I'd suggest building on the Phenix Mirage 6'1. It's a sick BFS blank and it's only like 95 bucks. I have been using it for a few years and it's the PERFECT tiny crank rod. Perfect moderate taper without being sloppy like a cheap UL rod.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing