Looking for a new jerkbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Looking for a new jerkbait rod

Post by adam lancia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:01 am

I've been using a 13 Fishing 6'7" MHF original Omen for 1/2oz jerkbaits and I've really liked it for its length and ability to throw that weight as far as I need to. Thing is, I use braid with a leader and there were times where no matter how little I moved the rod, it moved the lure more than I wanted to. I'm going to try an OG 7' medium Tatula but I'm pretty sure it'll feel a little light. I've tried them on the 7' ML and that was way too light. I feel like I need something between the medium Tatula and the MH Omen, but no longer than 6'6". Budget wise, I feel like staying under $150 should be fine, especially since this doesn't have to be a hyper sensitive rod.

Where should I start looking? I'd like to go used if possible too... :big for:

EDIT: I was mistaken, the Omen is 6'7", not 6'3"...
Last edited by adam lancia on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for a new jerkbait rod

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:13 am

adam lancia wrote:I've been using a 13 Fishing 6'3" MHF original Omen for 1/2oz jerkbaits and I've really liked it for its length and ability to throw that weight as far as I need to. Thing is, I use braid with a leader and there were times where no matter how little I moved the rod, it moved the lure more than I wanted to. I'm going to try an OG 7' medium Tatula but I'm pretty sure it'll feel a little light. I've tried them on the 7' ML and that was way too light. I feel like I need something between the medium Tatula and the MH Omen, but no longer than 6'6". Budget wise, I feel like staying under $150 should be fine, especially since this doesn't have to be a hyper sensitive rod.

Where should I start looking? I'd like to go used if possible too... :big grin:
Pretty much all of the rods I use are in that price range ($300 max reel, $200 max rod) unless they are on sale. I use a Lew's 7' Medium cranking rod, a 6'6" St. Croix Avid X (don't like the micro guides), and just a plain old 7'Medium fast (Abu Villain 2.0). Lew's also makes a 6'7" Medium mod.fast Jerkbait rod, not sure what brands you are after. That rod is a bit longer than what you mentioned, but the strength and rating fits in the range you described.

Are you sticking with braid/leader no matter what? I use 10-12 fluorocarbon unless a topwater reel is on my Avid X, but I'm not a big fan of braid with jerkbaits for the movement issue you mentioned...

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:17 am

I used to use an Omen Black 2 6'10" M for 3/8 jerkbaits and liked it, maybe they make a shorter M power rod. I also threw plopper 90s with it which weigh 5/8oz if I remember right. Pretty versatile rod, definately a fast action but kept fish pinned on the jerkbait with braid and a 6' 10lb mono leader. Check that rod out if you can locally, price was $100-110.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:47 am

There are a few majorCraft rods that match this description. The basspara 632ML is an awesome rod for the money, Fuji O Ring guides, a bit stiffer than its rating more like a regular fast Medium with a strong buttsection. The Benkei rods and Go Emotion rods are also awesome, majorcraft have quite a few rods in their stable and they are all pretty awesome. Digitaka at the moment has them for free shipping if it's a 2pc model and ¥3000 for 1pc.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:05 am

Yeah, definitely sticking with braid to a leader. I've tried straight fluoro and copoly and just don't like how it handles at the end of long casts. I'm getting pretty good at tying an FG and going to a lighter rod should get me in the ballpark, I'll just do some leader tweaking to get the shock absorption I'm after.

6'10" is gonna be too long. Could you do me a favour though? Would you mind measuring the length from the trigger to the butt of the rod...? Maybe I can just cut that down and get it to the right length they way.

I'll look at the Majorcraft rods, I hadn't even thought about them, thanks!

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:14 am

In that price rang, I would look to find a used, or on sale St. Croix avid 6’6 mf or 6’8mxf. Both great jerkbait Rods in my experience with lifetime warranties.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:29 am

St. Croix's rods run a little heavier than their specs right? So a medium would likely be in between most manufacturers medium and medium heavy...? An Avid just might be the way to go, know I just gotta find one... Or a used Legend Elite would be really nice too.

PerchHater
Angler
Angler

Post by PerchHater » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:50 am

I used a st Croix 6'6 medium mojo bass rod for years as my jerkbait rod. Its actually a medium, so i would say that st croix is a good place to look. With that said the med/hvy and heavy do run a little stiffer but not the mediums. Hope this helps. :D

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:09 pm

I found my Avid X for like $90. Local sporting good stores love to order nice equipment, but most fisherman that use nice equipment (and there aren't many) get it elsewhere. I just wish the eyelets were bigger and the action would be perfect. I originally bout this rod for topwater because I prefer to use a 7' Medium cranking rod for jerkbaits, might go to braid on the Avid X anyways with a short leader for jerkbaits since it seems to work for you (braid).

Jerkbait rods can be tough to figure out, I use 3 main rods depending on size of lure and applications...

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:22 am

adam lancia wrote: 6'10" is gonna be too long. Could you do me a favour though? Would you mind measuring the length from the trigger to the butt of the rod...? Maybe I can just cut that down and get it to the right length they way.
If this was directed at me and the 6'10" OB 2 I mentioned. I cannot measure for you as I sold the rod. I now use an IMX 812C that I really like, has a relatively short handle that doesn't get in the way when working the bait.

rcdemel
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rcdemel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Long-time Kistler fan! I am currently using their KLX 6'9" Medium Mod-Fast and could not be happier. It handles everything up to Super Spooks. This rod was designed for med-medhvy topwaters and I could not be more pleased with its performance. I originally bought it as a coast rod for specs and reds, but it has performed excellently for bass. I alway have it with me; rigged and ready to go!

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:46 pm

Mike son wrote:
adam lancia wrote: 6'10" is gonna be too long. Could you do me a favour though? Would you mind measuring the length from the trigger to the butt of the rod...? Maybe I can just cut that down and get it to the right length they way.
If this was directed at me and the 6'10" OB 2 I mentioned. I cannot measure for you as I sold the rod. I now use an IMX 812C that I really like, has a relatively short handle that doesn't get in the way when working the bait.
Sorry, yeah, I meant you. I hadn't thought of the IMX line, I'll have to have a look at those. Thanks!
rcdemel wrote:Long-time Kistler fan! I am currently using their KLX 6'9" Medium Mod-Fast and could not be happier. It handles everything up to Super Spooks. This rod was designed for med-medhvy topwaters and I could not be more pleased with its performance. I originally bought it as a coast rod for specs and reds, but it has performed excellently for bass. I alway have it with me; rigged and ready to go!
My concern with a mod-fast is that it'll flex too deep into the blank for my liking, especially a medium Kistler. Nothing against Kistler by any means, I have a couple and love them. Just that I find they are true to their power rating and have lighter tips than a lot of other rods that I've tried. I'd own a fleet of Kistler's if I could afford it. Note a MH mod-fast H3 could be pretty sweet...

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Take a look on Loomis JBR,-I'm using 753c ...It's exactly what you need to try!