Rod for submerged grass

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rod for submerged grass

Post by jmd_143 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:25 am

Looking for a new rod for the upcoming season. Popular technique around me is flipping/pitching submerged grass. Anywhere from 3-15 ft of water. Pretty thick for the most part but does not matt up on the surface like other places. Typically use 3/4 oz weight pending on how thick it is. Sometimes I step down to 1/2 and occasionally 1 oz if it’s thicker or deep. Usually with a flipping hook and a beaver as the bait. Budget would be under $400. I have had good success in the past with dobyns, Megabass, etc. not necessarily brand specific. Only preference would be a non micro guide rod as I sometimes use leader since the water is pretty clear up north, and prefer it to be at least 7’ at a min but prefer longer. Thanks in advance for the reccomendaions!

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod for submerged grass

Post by lape0019 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:38 am

Been using a Dobyns DX 745 for years for techniques like what you describe. It just flat out works so I haven't ever looked any further. If 1oz isn't fished a lot, I would maybe consider dropping to the 744 but it really is personal preference at that point.

If I were to look at the new Megabass offerings within the USDM, I would probably look quite seriously at the Destroyer FMJ. This is based on what I have read and me liking the aesthetics of the rod.
Last edited by lape0019 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:44 am

That's an easy choice for me, the US Destroyer Valdiva. It's a fantastic rod for exactly what you've described. The FMJ is also outstanding and can handle the 1 oz on the upper end, but for the deeper grass and heavier weights, the Valdiva is excellent. It also won't over power the 1/2 oz stuff you're fishing either. Let me know if I can help, we keep them on hand...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:54 am

bronzefly wrote:That's an easy choice for me, the US Destroyer Valdiva. It's a fantastic rod for exactly what you've described. The FMJ is also outstanding and can handle the 1 oz on the upper end, but for the deeper grass and heavier weights, the Valdiva is excellent. It also won't over power the 1/2 oz stuff you're fishing either. Let me know if I can help, we keep them on hand...
Gary, thanks for the reccomendation! You have yet to steer me wrong. With your experience, what would you consider the action to be for the Valdivia? And how does the power and action compare to the orochi xx perfect pitch? Thanks!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:32 pm

jmd_143 wrote:Gary, thanks for the reccomendation! You have yet to steer me wrong. With your experience, what would you consider the action to be for the Valdivia? And how does the power and action compare to the orochi xx perfect pitch? Thanks!
You're welcome, glad to help. It's "fast" in Megabass terms, not extra fast in my hands. It feels noticeably lighter in weight than the original XX Perfect Pitch, has similar power if not a shade more, and feels a little bit slower in action as well. The XX Perfect Pitch has a fairly soft, fast tip section which makes it easy to load for "pitching" baits, hence it's namesake. The Valdiva is marketed as a frog rod, which it handles nicely, but it's also a great jig rod, especially with bigger jigs/plastics around cover, or deep water foot ball jigs, carolina rigs, etc. The FMJ is a pitching machine though... that rod is just awesome :D
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:40 pm

Gary, always breaking it down as well as tempting the monkey :lol:

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks so much for the positive responses. Might have to seriously consider the Vadivia, sounds exactly what I’m looking for.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:30 pm

lape0019 wrote:Been using a Dobyns DX 745 for years for techniques like what you describe. It just flat out works so I haven't ever looks any further. If 1oz isn't fished a lot, I would maybe consider dropping to the 744 but it really is personal preference at that point.

If I were to look at the new Megabass offerings within the USDM, I would probably look quite seriously at the Destroyer FMJ. This is based on what I have read and me liking the aesthetics of the rod.
I actually tried a buddy’s 745c and liked it as well. It’s on my list but trying to see what else is out there. I appreciate the suggestion!

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 pm

A power plant lake near me gets thick with milfoil. The Dobyns DX 745 is nice for pitching 1/2 oz jigs, but if the grass gets really thick I prefer the DX795 Flip. Has some tip to it for pitching but can be used for light punching when the grass gets really thick.
A great heavy duty all around rod for a grass lake is the Black Jungle Power Versatile, you can fish jigs with it, swimbaits, and frogs. You don't have to worry if you pull up a big ass clump of grass with this rod it has plenty of power but enough tip that you can still fish 1/2 oz jigs.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:54 pm

DX 746 without a doubt

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:08 pm

jmd_143 wrote:Thanks so much for the positive responses. Might have to seriously consider the Vadivia, sounds exactly what I’m looking for.
I'm confident that it is. Email me at thetackletrap@gmail.com if you'd like any more information, glad to help out. It's such a great rod I'm excited for you to give it a shot and report back!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:27 am

bronzefly wrote:
jmd_143 wrote:Thanks so much for the positive responses. Might have to seriously consider the Vadivia, sounds exactly what I’m looking for.
I'm confident that it is. Email me at thetackletrap@gmail.com if you'd like any more information, glad to help out. It's such a great rod I'm excited for you to give it a shot and report back!
Thanks! I will most likely be in touch closer to spring!

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:15 am

Thanks guys! :D