Phenix Bass Recon?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Phenix Bass Recon?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 pm

What do you guys think about these rods?

I'm looking at the 7'6" light for ned rigs

Right now I'm using the Dobyns DX742SF and it works fine, but a buddy of mine has been wanting to buy it for around
$200
Whats the better build and blank out of the DX and recon?

Thoughts and other options....

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Phenix Bass Recon?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:26 pm

For me, I've never been a fan of Dobyns blanks. I will say he makes a very balanced stick with above average build quality. I wasn't into Phenix off the shelf rods at any point. I built on a Recon blank, and have been sold ever since. At the individual price points of each rod series, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better blank at or around the same coin. I like their full range of blanks only 2nd to Point Blank, and I'd edge the K2 above that just ever so slightly.
Feel and sensitivity is subjective as we all know, but after previously owning a Savvy and a few Champions, I was left underwhelmed, as the blanks had no liveliness in them.
The Recon isn't going to blow anyone away, except maybe in terms of versatility due to its progressive nature and light, quick tip sections. It transmits just fine and then some. As for the build quality, I've seen some good, I've seen some not so good. I believe they utilize a company called Essex for most of their components. I've looked over their website and it doesn't look to bad.
Just an FYI, you can load and cast 1/16 oz heads with small plastic trailers on the medium light Recons. Is it ideal, no, but this is part of the versatility aspect. I use my custom 683 for 1/16 oz wacky heads and 4.8 flick shakes, and small, somewhat micro finesse top water baits. The nice thing is that the blank still has some decent backbone. Dropping down to the 2 power, you will lose a significant amount of that power.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 pm

I live in Southern Cali and Phenix rods are pretty popular out here. I fish with Phenix myself and will always fish Phenix. I even had a green NRX and sold it and settled for a Phenix Ultra MBX. For some reason they feel the best for me.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:41 pm

I have a Recon2 6.8" Light that I use as my main finesse rod. The Ned rig is actually the main presentation I don't use it for. For whatever reason, I strongly prefer fishing it on a spinning combo. The Light power Recon2 will cast and fish it quite well, and if I am out with a single rod I have no issue fishing the ned on it if conditions call for it.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:39 pm

I’m not familiar with the Dobyns Champ Extreme, but I think it’s their flagship rod. I have used the recons plenty. I have a 762 spinner (Recon 2) that is currently a dedicated float n fly rod. It’s pretty nice. I’ve used it for flick shakes, spy baits, and light under spins. For Ned rigging, and depending if I’m in my boat or a guest, I’ll use a k2 713c or 713s, or UMBX-S 700L. The k2 is an incredible rod, if it’s in your budget. I’d say the Recon Elite 762 will be quite a nice rod to fish with for Ned rigs. They are pretty sensitive, and justify the price tag.
robchik.com

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:23 am

Phenix for life. Other than custom rods, I think they look the best and feel the best. They also have a wide range of pricing and wide range of rod selection also. Good warranty too.

Carruth8
Angler
Angler

Post by Carruth8 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:49 am

I’m glad some brought up the subject on Phenix Bass Recon rods. I’ve been eyeballing the Recon rods ever since the Recon 2 & just haven’t pulled the trigger. Reviews on TW have been mostly good, except for a couple of “tip heavy” comments. This has made me leery since I would be using it for t-rigs. Considering the G Rods Int. Game Changer rod I bought recently is a little tip heavy & also doesn’t seem to balance well with sub 7oz reels, I rather not turn what could have been a multipurpose rod into just another one application rod.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:55 pm

I had a R2 8' rated at 1/4-1oz. Super awesome rod! Good stuff from Phenix

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 pm

I ended up ordering a Kistler Helium 2 ML because of the sale Kistler is having right now.

But I still want to try a recon.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:10 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I ended up ordering a Kistler Helium 2 ML because of the sale Kistler is having right now.

But I still want to try a recon.
I really enjoy Phenix blanks, from the Maxim to the K2. This time around, you got the better rod imo. Nice grab