Best Bottom Contact Rod From Daiwa nonjdm

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Best Bottom Contact Rod From Daiwa nonjdm

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 am

if there is one thing that i’ve heard time and time again that’s that Daiwa Steez rods are better suited for things other than bottom contact techniques
So as i was looking at their line up i was curious to know what is the general consensus on what’s their best bottom contact rod that’s nonjdm?
I’d like to know what you think and the rods that you’ve used from their lineup. IMIO daiwa is best know. for the reels they make rather than the rods. When shimano cork crucials came out they were solid rods esp at that price point and they had a great following but daiwa seems absent from the rod conversations and maybe the tatula elite will breathe life into that aspect of the company. I have a zillion rod that i gave to my son that was lacking. Let the conversation begin and i hope people mention the models that they have used
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best Bottom Contact Rod From Daiwa nonjdm

Post by lzeil » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:06 pm

the steez ags 7'1" mhxf gets my vote, the ags guides give it a unique feel

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:41 pm

that’s good to hear
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:31 pm

bump

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:35 am

I have the 7'1"H in both AGS and standard Steez. The AGS is a little lighter and a more sensitive but even the regular Steez I use for bottom contact baits with plenty of feel. My next order is the Steez MH along with the 7'6"ML AGS in the spinning.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:33 pm

The best currently is prolly the steez has 71mhxf, haven't fished mine yet so I can't comment on sensitivity but it feels great in hand. I've been using a 7'1h comp x for a couple years as my primary jig rod and its served me well.

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 am

My favorite bottom contact rod is the NRX 893 but for heaver weights the 7’1” Steez SVF Compile-X is the bomb. It actually handles down to ¼ oz well.

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:09 pm

i have both the 7'1" Steez XT and the Tatula Elite 7'1". I use both for bottom contact and like the Tatula elite so much i purchased another one. The proper tip and plenty of backbone. extremely sensitive as well. Used it exclusively at Lake Berryessa last week to catch bass from 5-70ft on jigs from 3/8-3/4 with no problem. Both rods get my vote. But for 179.00, you cant beat the Tatula Elite!

p.s. also doubles as a stellar swim jig rod!!!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:21 pm

I had the 7'1" Compile-X......it was such a disaapointment to me! I had a Daiwa Light & Tough rod that blew it out of the water in sensitivity. Supposedly, the Compile X was the most sensitive of the Daiwa lineup. I never tried another Steez rod after that, aside from a flex-i-lite for cranks.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 am

There is no way on earth the Light & Tough is better than the Steez. I have been fishing Daiwa for years and the Steez is an awesome rod. I'm mainly a bottom contact fisherman and I have fished lots of rods and the Steez is one of the best rods I've ever fished. We all have our preferences but the Light & Toughs were not the best bottom contact rods.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:14 am

I loved the lt rods but they're no steez!
Especially for bottom contact..
The steez rods ive fished are, at least in my hands, equivalent to the imx and almost as sensitive as the glx rods they replaced.. And they're much more comfortable and better looking. Tt is prolly the only place I've ever heard complaints about em.. I think thats got more to do with the review here than anything. :talk hand:

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:22 pm

PaBass75 wrote:I loved the lt rods but they're no steez!
The steez rods ive fished are, at least in my hands, equivalent to the imx and almost as sensitive as the glx rods they replaced.. And they're much more comfortable and better looking. Tt is prolly the only place I've ever heard complaints about em.. I think thats got more to do with the review here than anything. :talk hand:

I'd disagree with that sentiment. I was disappointed in the sensitivity of the Steez Compile-X Cast 7'1" Hvy. That stick currently retails for $599.99, and that is pretty high for a flagship, bottom-contact rod that has been equated to the IMX line in the sensitivity department.

I really like the rod, but there are several others I'm reaching for first when sensitivity is important.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:23 pm

What review

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 pm

goldrod wrote:

What review

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwacompx.html

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:25 pm

big_gee wrote:There is no way on earth the Light & Tough is better than the Steez. I have been fishing Daiwa for years and the Steez is an awesome rod. I'm mainly a bottom contact fisherman and I have fished lots of rods and the Steez is one of the best rods I've ever fished. We all have our preferences but the Light & Toughs were not the best bottom contact rods.
To each, his own. All I know is that with the Compile-X, I had fish choke a jig on 3 separate occasions, which killed 2 of them. I sold it after 5 or 6 trips. I never even deep-hooked a fish with my old L&T rod(black with gold trim) and I fished that rod for 10+ yrs.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.