What up with the ugly rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What up with the ugly rods?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Been eyeing a lot of rods lately but have noticed so many with just plain ugly handles and blanks.

One that comes to mind is Favorite fishing, man these are some UGLY looking rods.

One other thing I can't stand is something super patriotic that is made in china.

So glad to have Gloomis and Megabass to look at.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What up with the ugly rods?

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Is that last line satire? Gloomis rods are very plain in appearance when compared to a Megabass stick.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 pm

LowRange wrote:Is that last line satire? Gloomis rods are very plain in appearance when compared to a Megabass stick.
Agreed, but at least the blanks are amazing :big grin:

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:17 am

LowRange wrote:Is that last line satire? Gloomis rods are very plain in appearance when compared to a Megabass stick.
They are also made in China

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:17 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Agreed, but at least the blanks are amazing :big grin:
Maybe some of the Loomis higher end blanks are amazing. But the lower end like the E6X is a but ugly turd.

Now if you want to talk ugly rods, well there’s the Enigma rods, anything CarrotStix has ever made, Powell Nusance line, well the list could go on.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:57 am

Wildly colorful rods are bad marketing choices, in my opinion. I guess they want to appeal to a younger crowd? I’d take a simple, clean build over a bright green or white stick any day. The new 13 and Enigma rods are definitely some of the ugliest.

No need to bring up where a rod is made, we are discussing cosmetics. Where a rod is made is a moot point, because even rods made in the US have components made elsewhere. Even quality control can be a crapshoot no matter where it’s manufactured.

Back on topic... painting the blanks seems like such a distraction and an extra step in the process that really isn’t needed. Again, just my two cents. But just another point of quality control to go wrong, added weight, potentially less sensitivity, etc. etc.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:04 pm

The Edge rods by Gary Loomis are no fuss no muss super clean rods and made here in the US. I love mine but don't ask me about the long wait for one purchased during their big sale.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:48 pm

The top of the line St Croix are ugly colours with terrible handles. Got to be marketing to make them distinctive on the shelf. If they were all a nice simple black with a well thought out handle, then they wouldn't stand out, no matter how much I might prefer them! :lol:

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:23 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Been eyeing a lot of rods lately but have noticed so many with just plain ugly handles and blanks.

One that comes to mind is Favorite fishing, man these are some UGLY looking rods.

One other thing I can't stand is something super patriotic that is made in china.

So glad to have Gloomis and Megabass to look at.
I have one of their super patriotic pieces of junk......they don't even put country of origin markings anwhere on the product or packaging.

Absolute garbage.

Their sick rod came with bottom of the barrel amtac guides and a fuji tag on it...and the print on the rod is nearly illegible.
Additionally I'm convinced they spelled the name of their own brand wrong.

Favorite fishing....Select Tackles
I've never heard fishing tackle plural before...and it's printed all over the packaging.
Their new catolog they changed it from Select tackles to powered by favorite...and don't even have images up and just use cartoony renders.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:54 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:The top of the line St Croix are ugly colours with terrible handles. Got to be marketing to make them distinctive on the shelf. If they were all a nice simple black with a well thought out handle, then they wouldn't stand out, no matter how much I might prefer them! :lol:
And that's why I fish the standard LE normal handle classic look. I also take customs on the same blank with carbon handles or custom cork. I have no idea why Croix have not abandon that ugly handle for carbon.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Why are you even eying trash from Favorite? Just get yourself the OG megabass rods from 10+ years ago. Look good, sensitive and build like tanks.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:33 pm

I honestly believe the googans are the most legit con artist groups I have ever seen...

RazorCat
Angler
Angler

Post by RazorCat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm

People like what they like. Personally, I like the St. Croix Legend series rods. Color, handle, and all.
All I own are Legend Torunaments and Avids. Both great looking, top quality rods. I’ll pull the trigger on a couple of Legend Elites in the near future. And they’re made in the USA.

To each his own.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:27 pm

RazorCat wrote:People like what they like. Personally, I like the St. Croix Legend series rods. Color, handle, and all.
All I own are Legend Torunaments and Avids. Both great looking, top quality rods. I’ll pull the trigger on a couple of Legend Elites in the near future. And they’re made in the USA.

To each his own.
St Croix makes awesome rods, but this one is ugly
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/St_Croix ... SCNLC.html

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:16 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
RazorCat wrote:People like what they like. Personally, I like the St. Croix Legend series rods. Color, handle, and all.

To each his own.
St Croix makes awesome rods, but this one is ugly
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/St_Croix ... SCNLC.html
Yea you right that handle is ugly as all, but might be a girls best friend