Rod decisions....the struggle is real!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Carruth8
Angler
Angler

Rod decisions....the struggle is real!

Postby Carruth8 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 am

So I’m looking into getting another rod, an all purpose casting rod, as I fish out of a kayak & like to keep my rods around 7ft. Right now I’m currently looking at a Daiwa Zillion, Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier & the Dobyns Champion Extreme HP. Now, I already own a Daiwa Tatula & there seems to be quite the debate about the differences btw the Tatula & the Zillion, if any at all. I’ve never owned an Abu Garcia rod, but have read mixed reviews about the company, not the Fantasista Premier rod itself. Granted there is large price discrepancy btw the Zillion & Champion Extreme HP, but of those 3 rods, I would value anyone’s input concerning these 3! Thanks guys!

godshippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod decisions....the struggle is real!

Postby godshippy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 am

I can easily recommend a Dobyns Champion Extreme because I fish them. I've tried quite a few different brands over the years, and it comes down to accessibility, comfort, performance, and warranty.

I'd imagine that fishing from a kayak can potentially lead to more broken rods than if fishing off the bank or a full-size boat. That being said, Dobyns carries a very simple no hassle replacement warranty that I would take advantage of. I've been pretty careful with all my equipment, but lately I've really just been banging them around without any care and they have held up exceedingly well. *knocks on wood*

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby lape0019 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:49 am

Which Dobyns model are you looking at in the HP lineup?

I don't think I have ever seen or help a zillion rod but have done so on the Fantasista and own an HP as well as quite a few other Dobyns.

Based on looks alone, I would lean towards the Dobyns between the two. I prefer cork over EVA and although the amount of EVA is minimal on the Fantasista, it has enough to make me weary.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby jmd_143 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:56 am

Hp line of dobyns is a great rod. I have had great success with various models, including 703c, 744c, 745c and 784cml!

Carruth8
Angler
Angler

Postby Carruth8 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:27 am

lape0019 wrote:Which Dobyns model are you looking at in the HP lineup?

I don't think I have ever seen or help a zillion rod but have done so on the Fantasista and own an HP as well as quite a few other Dobyns.

Based on looks alone, I would lean towards the Dobyns between the two. I prefer cork over EVA and although the amount of EVA is minimal on the Fantasista, it has enough to make me weary.

I was looking at either the 703C or the 704C. The only thing that makes me leery of the 704C is that it may be a bulkier rod b/c it’s an heavy powered rod. The rod selection in Mississippi is terrible & have no way to compare rods.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Kschultz76 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 am

Are you open to other suggestions of brands/models that will add versatility to your kayak arsenal? Or you only looking for feedback on the specific ones you listed?

Return to “Rods”