Broken Rod Streaks

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Broken Rod Streaks

Post by medicpelle » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Anyone else go through streaks of breaking rods? Seems like it happens in threes within a very short time. First one was one hook set, second was while reeling a 2lb fish in, and the last one was my fault, rod got caught under the cleat/rope retracter on my BCB and I lifted it up. By the time I realized it it was too late, almost like it was happening in slow motion.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Broken Rod Streaks

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:00 am

Broke 2 Heavy powered rods within an hour this year. Had not broken a rod in a long time, and we lost 3 on my boat in two days. Granted, we were frog fishing, but both mine broke on the cast. First, a boyah frog somehow snapped a Major craft Heavy that was a tank. Second, another major craft with all double foot guides, a real beast, snapped throwing a deps bait that is 1oz. Both rods were stored on racks, babied, and show no signs of damage that would lead to breakage. I am still pissed about that day.

I also had the braid wrap on two guides of a Zillion Heavy and ripped the guides clean off on a hook set. Frogging and fishing the thick stuff was tough on the equipment this year.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:00 am

Only broke 2 rods out of a couple hundred.

But one of the rods was a tragedy.....Team daiwa interline surf and a Vans Staal VSB 150......Bridge gate came down split the rod and drove the reel into the concrete.............yeah...that sucked.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes;

Went though one recently. Had not broken a rod in decades. Then legend elite dock flipping a 4 pounder carelessly. Hemmed and hawed about sending it in for their pay for the guides warranty broken-which is cool anyway given it was my fault. While that one was sent in, broke a legend tournament on hook set. Sent that one in. Got the elite back and then broke that one on hooks set immediately the following week on hooks set again. Not a good streak. Haven't broken anything that shouldn't break since. But a really took it out on poor st. Croix over a course of 3 weeks. It kind of scared me. I doubled up on a simoon after that because a new one was available half off and I don't fish spinning as often. But I love that rod and my steak made me think twice about difficult to replace rods.

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:14 am

Broke a Megabass Black Jungle Frog Rod on the hookset after fishing with it for only a few hours this past summer. First rod I've had break in years, which is kind of surprising considering my hookset and I fish a lot with braid in heavy cover a lot.