Dobyns 765CB Glass handle length

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Dobyns 765CB Glass handle length

Post by jbabin193 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 am

Was hoping some users could chime in on the Dobyns 7'-6" crankbait rod handle lengths (13"). Picked one up the other day, and it seemed like the handle length was too short to really use as a rod to bomb long casts with deep divers. Anyone else thing the same? I see thee 8' models have a lightly longer handle, but still seems a bit short.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dobyns 765CB Glass handle length

Post by DavidSA » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:10 pm

I got the 765 graphite rod over the holiday sales. My cork length is 9.5 roughly. I think that equates to your 13 but check it.
because of a warm and sunny November, I was able to fish the rod a little and I will say the length of the rear grip is not an issue for me.

My concern was that the balance might be terrible but it is reasonable. The rod fishes like a 7'7 rod because of the shorter rear grip but this is common on most cranking rods I've owned over the years.

I've fished a Dobyns rod a few times over the years but this is the first one I actually ordered and owned. My impression is positive so far. The graphite version throws my 1/4 speed trap OK and bombs a 3/4oz lipess crank or DD22 with ease and grace.

My hands are not so big that I have any trouble at all throwing hard with two hands. What I notice though is that with this rod I can throw with 75% effort and get 95% of the distance. On a day I'm casting all day this should be a benefit. I thought long and hard about the graphite vs. glass. No idea if I made the best choice or not but I'm happy with it.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Dobyns 765CB Glass handle length

Post by jbabin193 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks David... appreciate your insights