G. Loomis 843C MBR or 844c MBR for jigs

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

G. Loomis 843C MBR or 844c MBR for jigs

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:54 am

I have been used to fishing with an NRX 853c for jigs. I bought the new Conquest 843C for fishing mainly 3/8 jigs with some 1/2 ( and the occasional 1/4 or 5/16) jigs. I will also use it as my soft plastics rod. The MBR tip is softer than I’m accustomed to, but I’m sure I will get used to it. I bought the 843c because it thought it would cast a little better and would also double as a good Senko rod. I’m second guessing myself for not getting the 844c. What are your thoughts?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: G. Loomis 843C MBR or 844c MBR for jigs

Post by DavidSA » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:54 am

I am commenting based on classic GLX models not the conquest which I've not fished. In open water, the 843 was always very good with light jigs. I can make the action of the rod effectively faster by fishing braid. A 1/4oz head and hula grub is something I'd commonly fish on a MBR843. So total weight of that is somewhere between 3/8 and 1/2.

The 844 was a rod I fished +1/2oz jigs, c-rigs, t-rigs, spinnerbaits, and frogs on. I say was because as I started to fish the NRX 894 I lost all interest in the 844. The longer rod allowed me to lift and slide jigs and worms over rocks that I would have never imagined 5 inches to be able to enable. Similarly fishing worms in florida grass with the 894 and 844 the leverage I had in fighting a fish with the 894 was far superior. Some guys may find the 844 easier to skip under a dock then the 844 but I don't really see a difference.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:55 pm

i find the old GLX rods to be very different from the NRX rods. for example, i would fish those jigs on the old GLX 843 but my NRX 843 would not feel right to me. it can handle them fine, but i hate the delay of a softer tip when im trying to be the crawfish.

ive never fished the new GLX or Conquest but i assume they are more similar to the NRX than the "legacy" GLX as in a bit softer in the top 1/4.

if you dont need to scratch that itch just yet, maybe some xfast Conquests are in the works. Im sure a well balanced 894 or 893 Conquest would be hard to beat for bottom contact.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:10 pm

bigfruits wrote:if you dont need to scratch that itch just yet, maybe some xfast Conquests are in the works. Im sure a well balanced 894 or 893 Conquest would be hard to beat for bottom contact.
I don't see this happening anytime soon. It would be interesting for sure, but the decision to discontinue Mag Bass NRX, and introduce only Mag Bass Conquest wasn't made without a lot of thought and consideration. As good as the JWR NRX rods are, and as popular as they are, I'm not sure from a business standpoint, a new JWR Conquest series makes sense anytime soon, if ever.

Taking that into consideration, I've been a Mag Bass fan for a long time, and have been putting in some time with a few of the new Conquest rods, with more to come pretty soon. Sensitivity isn't something they are lacking in my experience so far. The action in comparison to a JWR is different, but it always has been with Mag Bass rods.

The new Conquest 844 is a much better 1/2 oz jig plus trailer rod than the 843, plain and simple.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:06 pm

bronzefly wrote:
bigfruits wrote:if you dont need to scratch that itch just yet, maybe some xfast Conquests are in the works. Im sure a well balanced 894 or 893 Conquest would be hard to beat for bottom contact.
I don't see this happening anytime soon. It would be interesting for sure, but the decision to discontinue Mag Bass NRX, and introduce only Mag Bass Conquest wasn't made without a lot of thought and consideration. As good as the JWR NRX rods are, and as popular as they are, I'm not sure from a business standpoint, a new JWR Conquest series makes sense anytime soon, if ever.

Taking that into consideration, I've been a Mag Bass fan for a long time, and have been putting in some time with a few of the new Conquest rods, with more to come pretty soon. Sensitivity isn't something they are lacking in my experience so far. The action in comparison to a JWR is different, but it always has been with Mag Bass rods.

The new Conquest 844 is a much better 1/2 oz jig plus trailer rod than the 843, plain and simple.
I agree with bronzefly. I have the 843c Conquest and I feel a 1/2oz jig plus trailer would be too much. I can say that the Conquest taper is nice. The tip is not "soft" like the NRX JWR series. It is a different type of soft that blends into a stout backbone better the the NRX JWR does. I thought I should have went up a power until I loaded line onto the rod. With a reel and line, I was able to really feel that backbone without it being a distinct "tip" and "backbone" (stinger tip rod would he an extreme example).
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:44 pm

844 for shizzle...or 'fo' shizzle I guess 8-)

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:40 am

I haven't fished a loomis in 15 years, but a 5/16oz eakins jig with a twin tail was about as heavy a jig as the imx843 I had seemed to really perform well with.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:15 am

843 would be too soft imo, 844 would fit much better.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:40 am

I like heavy hooks on almost all of my jigs. The 844 is a better choice for anything with a heavier hook. The 843 seems a little light for anything over 3/8 oz with a heavy hook.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:06 am