Black Jungle 7'4" Power Versatile

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Black Jungle 7'4" Power Versatile

Post by bigturtle » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Can you frog comfortably on this rod?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Black Jungle 7'4" Power Versatile

Post by Cristo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:37 am

Wow another opened request for knowledge, going to have to come with more expectations of stated rod my friend. Hollow, soft body, weighted hooks, single hooks, double hooks, assuming braid?, reel choice? Many of these will likely change how the rod will fish for many, so you need to please try and be specific and I am sure our brothers and sisters can chime in :D

Unless, you were looking for just a YES or NO :big grin:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:54 am

It's my favorite heavy cover frog rod period. There are better open water, lighter cover frog rods yes, but for the thick stuff, it's phenomenal. It's in stock and ready to ship at The Tackle Trap too...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:01 am

Cristo wrote:Wow another opened request for knowledge, going to have to come with more expectations of stated rod my friend. Hollow, soft body, weighted hooks, single hooks, double hooks, assuming braid?, reel choice? Many of these will likely change how the rod will fish for many, so you need to please try and be specific and I am sure our brothers and sisters can chime in :D

Unless, you were looking for just a YES or NO :big grin:
I was just looking for a yes or no, thanks
bronzefly wrote:It's my favorite heavy cover frog rod period. There are better open water, lighter cover frog rods yes, but for the thick stuff, it's phenomenal. It's in stock and ready to ship at The Tackle Trap too...
Awesome, thanks

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:29 am

bronzefly wrote:It's my favorite heavy cover frog rod period. There are better open water, lighter cover frog rods yes, but for the thick stuff, it's phenomenal. It's in stock and ready to ship at The Tackle Trap too...
I had the chance to use my Power Versatile this summer for heavy cover frogging. Bronzefly is spoton as usual, and in fact, he helped me decide on this rod. Really impressed with it. Had a ton of power, but loaded very smooth. Appreciated the extra length on long casts over mats, and hookups way back in the muck. Just the right action for braid, imo. I had a Curado 300DSV on it at the time, so it was a bit heavy. Now have a Curado K on it, and hope to get in some frogging next year. Sweet combo and both came from Tackle Trap. No better place to deal with.
I have a 7' MH Falcon with 50lb braid that handles lighter cover frog/toad duties.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:20 am

One of my favorite rods on Guntersville. Should have been named Guntersville frog rod, but it is very versatile.

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:18 am

Anybody use this rod for Whopper Plopper 130 and/or Deps Buzzjet?

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:57 am

Yes works very well for a Whopper Plopper 130, actually my favorite bait on that rod.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:38 pm

I know it’s probaby not the ideal rod but could I get away using PV with Huddleston 68’s because I don’t do enough larger Swimbait fishing to warrant a rod for single hook and treble hook. Or is there a better rod in the megabass line up for trebles in the 1-2.5 oz range and single hook soft Swimbait in the 2.5oz range.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:35 am

I'm in the same situation, don't do enough swimbait fishing to warrant a dedicated outfit. The PV fills the bill. I can go from a plopper to a Megabass Grenade, then switch to a B-Venom or go to a 5in storm. Swiss Army rod.