Want to buy one super high end rod - which one should it be?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Want to buy one super high end rod - which one should it be?

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:03 am

Hi all,

I got a little raise at work and decided to buy one high end rod that should be kind of my all around rod with a heavy emphasis on jigz (up to 1oz) and paddle tail swimbaits.

I would pair it with either (SV103 XS, Metanium MGL, Antares DC).

Here are some options that I am thinking of:

* Shimano GL Conquest Cast Rod 7' Heavy 844C MBR
* G. Loomis NRX Casting Rod Blue 7'5" Heavy 894C JWR
* Daiwa Steez Compile-X Cast 7'1" Hvy
* Daiwa Steez SVF AGS Casting Rod 7'1" Heavy

Since i am bankfisherman for the most part, the rod should be as robust as a high end rod can be ;)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Happy Thanksgiving!

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Want to buy one super high end rod - which one should it be?

Post by DavidSA » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:28 am

The 894 NRX is a heck of a great rod for what you list. I fish lures from 1/4oz to 1oz on this rod and it does it all well. I fish mostly straight braid. The balance of the 894 is marginal so I have added a counterbalance using a chair leg protector that makes my balance perfect. I own an older model steez and don't ever see myself buying another one. Super light and lots of bling but just did not give me the sensitivity I demand. things may have changed. To me the MBR844 is now too short for my liking in a jig rod. owned multiples for many years but no longer own any.

Rods you should be considering. Kistler HE3 7'3H xfast and Kistler zbone 7'3H xfast. Between the two, the zbone is more sensitive to the light bite but might be a touch too fast for a 5 inch paddletail. Given the HE3 is half the price and a touch slower, it might be a better bet.

894, HE3, Zbone- can't go wrong with any of them. If we did blind tests I am certain each would get votes. Just depends on exact application and the person. If I could only have 1 of the group, I think it would be the zbone.

JAB50
Angler
Angler

Post by JAB50 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Go with whatever DavidSA recommends! I have the Kistler HE3 7'3H xfast that he mentioned because of him! It's a very versatile rod and really nice too! I also have the new GLX 844. I know it's different than the Nrx version( more backbone). Kistler is giving some good discounts right now too. I believe 30% off on rods over 269.99 and I believe 40% off or more on in stock Zbones! So, you could buy two rods instead of one!
Good luck with your decision
FYI, I am going to pull the trigger soon on a NRX893C! And if you go on landbigfish.com right now and use code SH2017. It gives you 25% off all Shimano reels! So, you could buy 2 chronarch mgl's for the price of 1 metanium mgl. The chronarch mgl's are really that nice. And I have the chronarch 50E and ci4's. Along with the daiwa sv 103; which is nice but I'd love the 103xs instead!
BUY NOW BEFORE THE SALES ARE UP! And you can contact Tackle trap; they do price match and are an exfellent sponsor here!

JAB50
Angler
Angler

Post by JAB50 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Just rechecked my email. It's 30% on Kistler rods over 249. 40% off on rods over 499 and 50% off on rods over 999.

JAB50
Angler
Angler

Post by JAB50 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:44 pm

FYI,
If those rods are sold out. Don't be afraid to call Kistler(Trey). I'm sure they would work something out for you!

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:55 pm

The last time Kistler ran this promotion I bought a 7'3" lexf5 zbone, helium3 ml/xf spinning rod and klx feel n reel rod. All for 3 rods for $499 (50% off). Awesome deal! I see a lot of the z bones out of stock, so as said you should call them.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Custom built on Point Blank. Doesn't get much better than that imo.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:37 pm

JAB50 wrote:Go with whatever DavidSA recommends! I have the Kistler HE3 7'3H xfast that he mentioned because of him! It's a very versatile rod and really nice too! I also have the new GLX 844. I know it's different than the Nrx version( more backbone). Kistler is giving some good discounts right now too. I believe 30% off on rods over 269.99 and I believe 40% off or more on in stock Zbones! So, you could buy two rods instead of one!
Good luck with your decision
FYI, I am going to pull the trigger soon on a NRX893C! And if you go on landbigfish.com right now and use code SH2017. It gives you 25% off all Shimano reels! So, you could buy 2 chronarch mgl's for the price of 1 metanium mgl. The chronarch mgl's are really that nice. And I have the chronarch 50E and ci4's. Along with the daiwa sv 103; which is nice but I'd love the 103xs instead!
BUY NOW BEFORE THE SALES ARE UP! And you can contact Tackle trap; they do price match and are an exfellent sponsor here!
I have the 2017 Helium 3 Heavy 7' 0" X-Fast Fishing Rod on order. My first Kistler. With the 30% off it is just too good of a deal to pass on. I think I will use the rod and see how I feel about it. If I still crave for more, I will buy a high end rod then.

Thanks all for your comments. Again, learned something! ;)

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:56 am

you should really like that rod 8-) I scanned the reviews and it looks like my kind of rod. Most guys fishing it like a stout MH rod simply because it allows you to fish it that way. Most likely if anyone actually tested it they would find it was stronger then many H rods. I did a test where I put a 1.5oz weight on 3 H rods and I expected the 7'3 HE to bend most based on that way it fishes. To my shock it had the least deflection.

Not sure if you fish any braid but if you do put a small spinnerbait on your rod and give it a cast if you have any non-ice waters. You should be able to feel the blades turn over.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:28 am

:lol: Just one...........my friend, they all say that :big grin: Enjoy what ever you get, and continue your decent.......... =D>

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:19 am

Cristo wrote::lol: Just one...........my friend, they all say that :big grin: Enjoy what ever you get, and continue your decent.......... =D>
indeed, it is like breaking the seal =D> In the early 2000's I recall thinking for months about buying a MBR844 GLX. Then all my rods became GLX

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:39 pm

go with the 8' steez ags....
I'm in nj...so to target the biggest of the big bass....i sold off my 4th boat over a decade ago and focused on boots paddles and fins.

I try to limit what I carry to 3 rods max. To cover everything from finesse to frogging.
I can carry more but backpacking a 30lb float tube and tons of gear isn't easy :)

This sucker does everything but spinnerbaits excellently....the only reason i don't like it for that is I don't like that tip to budge at all when ripping through grass. It'll work fine as it has an action similar to many spinnerbait specifc rods. but I don't like those sticks for their purpose.

It's an 8 footer so you'll get better distance on baits that can fly.

It's also a stick that will throw down to an 1/8 of an ounce which is pretty crazy since i use it for tossing 1.5 ounce swimbaits.
I'm a die hard surf caster who can throw 600' with some of my setups without a problem.....And I mention that because leaning into a cast can really put stress on a rod if approaching it's upper weight range....1 ounce you can really hammer

they have 2 8 footers..this is the one i'm talking about
http://amzn.to/2AbSnAu

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Another option, although their initial offering has left a bad taste in many TT member’s mouths, I’ve been more than pleased with my Edge MBR Black Widow Rods. Right now, all their rods are 50% off and I ordered a couple more!

http://edgerods.com/mbr-2

Something to consider. I would put my Edge BW Rods up against my NRX Rods. I no longer have the NRX rods but wouldn’t get rid of the Edge rods given the need to sell either.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Never seen a reputable, world known brand having 50% off discounts, unless the series been discontinued or it is out of business.
If you want a super high end - go with Shimano Ultima, Megabass Legerra, Daiwa has some Steez rods close to $1000, those rods have value and probably never going to be sold with 50% off.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Cracker wrote:Never seen a reputable, world known brand having 50% off discounts, unless the series been discontinued or it is out of business.
If you want a super high end - go with Shimano Ultima, Megabass Legerra, Daiwa has some Steez rods close to $1000, those rods have value and probably never going to be sold with 50% off.
Edge 50% off is no different than NFC 50% off rod blanks. I'm pretty sure NFC is rather reputable. How does an NFC HM blank compare to a 900 dollar Megabass or Steez rod........no idea. What I do know is that's one heck of a deal on a high performance rod blank. Custom aside, if I were after one premium multi talented stick, I'd opt for something from the Daiwa Japan Steez / Heartland, or maybe something from Evergreen :-k
Nope
Daiwa.......I think