Want to buy one super high end rod - which one should it be?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Want to buy one super high end rod - which one should it be?

Post by j2015 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:21 pm

For the weights you listed, Super stallion.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:19 pm

There are a few rods that may fit your fancy in the Conquest line. Just got mine out of the tube from The Tackle Trap. Shipped on Monday and in my hands on Wednesday. I got the 843c and the taper is perfect. I was afraid that it was going to be too moderate after reading other posts but, it's taper is sweet. Tip is "soft" then hits a solid backbone in a weird but assuring way. I like the taper better in the Conquest line better than the NRX. It opens the possibilities I can use the rod for. I made an unboxing/initial impressions video. Still editing it.

Oh, the cork is nice too. Not usually a fan of cork but, it puts a classy look to an otherwise hi-tech looking rod.

Will post more once I have some time casting with it. So far, I would recommend it.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:30 pm

id look at the MB FMJ. great balance and sensitivity and works well with single hook moving baits and even light frogging.
for a more overall rod, the MB Daemos would be my choice. i wouldnt fish 1oz jigs + plastic on it though.

Loomis (and a few others) has a great replacement plan (for a fee) should you happen to break it. That makes it pretty robust ;) the NRX are super sensitive rods, id bet the Conquest are too.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks guys!

Went ahead already and got the Kistler Helium 3, 7' heavy, x-fast. With some deals I got it for 130 USD. Since I am still a bank fisherman for the most part, i feel that is a good compromise for now. Once I bought my Kayak, I will re-evaluate what I need.

floriduhfish
Angler
Angler

Post by floriduhfish » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:39 am

They are great rods. I feel the sensitivity is very good for the price point

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Please post back with your thoughts. You have made a very good choice at any price and for what you paid I have a hard time seeing how you to possibly make a better choice though I don't fish every rod on the market.

One of the things that has impressed me about this rod is when I put a finesse river spinnerbait (5/16oz bait plus trailer hook) on this rod and threw it around my pond with 30# braid. I can feel every turn of the blade plain as day. Then while I was only "testing the rod" I started to catch small bass on a Heavy power rod, with braid and I never missed a fish or lost one ](*,) So how can a stout rod with no stretch braid deliver 7 or 8 bass on a finesse spinnerbait :?: From there, I started to pitch plastics on this rod and it very near my NRX rods in sensitivity yet it seems to have more Tip yet more power once you get into the power curve of this rod. Balance of the rod could be a bit better but otherwise to fish it I'm quite surprised. At one time I think I had like 6 glooms MBR 844 glx rods in my boat and I loved them. Honestly thought I don't think they even compare to this HE3. I think this blank is really special and Kistler finishes the rod nicely. I've been on the board for many years and I think I know why this rod fly's mostly under the radar. If someone just fishes it though in a blind test without bias I think it is a contender.