Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

Post by KP Duty » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:57 pm

I guess I'm ambivalent; I was unimpressed by the XX's I held in Bass Pro here in Tulsa a year or two ago. I'll admit I'm a scorned compile-x guy, but I'm honest.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 am

I felt the same way after i got my first xx eftf (no one around me carries mb rods to feel before i purchased) but after mounting my Metanium xg and fishing it they became my favorite rods. I now own 3 xx's

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 am

biggs wrote:
papagravey wrote:I just want to know if they are going to be available in cork.
Pretty sure they will have the same handle design as the XXX. Half EVA, half cork.
You sure about that?..... :whistle:

There is a little bit of speculation going on and some of it is incorrect. No worries though as the unveiling is getting closer so it will not be long till they are released.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Something about a bottle cap opener end cap I hear :lol:

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:21 pm

I am now at liberty to get some better details out regarding the new XX series. please bear with me in that I can't tell every little detail quite yet but here is an early overview of the changes and additions.

The blank is gonna be totally new. Can't share specific details on it other than the prototype models have been a definite improvement over the original blanks which was no easy task to accomplish. The focus was on increasing sensitivity, maintaining durability as well as increase lifting power. Basically each model was entirely re-balanced for targeted applications and presentations. Lots of effort went into balance points being optimal based on that specific rod itself. Guide placement and configuration was also well thought out with the emphasis on optimal load placement to the each particular portion of each rod. More rod composition and details to come soon I promise. Previous price points were maintained for the most part which I know will make some people very happy to say the least.

There will be 11 casting models and 4 spinning models. Rods are all 1 piece rods. The casting models will be full cork handle with a different reel seat than on old models. Guides have changed as well and will be slightly larger than on original series. The final prototypes have been found to be a crisper, morse sensitive rod with better lifting power and better ergonomics due to the changes listed above. The properties for each were measured as accurately as possible and I will be able to answer questions soon in regards to percentages etc of each when compared to original series.

There are new models added to new lineup that fans of the original series will appreciate I hope. The Dropshot was changed into a true finesse techniques dedicated spinning model that differs from previous model and it also has a new name. The Ronin and Shakyhead models return with changes as mentioned above made specific to each model. A new spinning model will be dedicated for deep water applications such as the Dark sleeper and tube rigs. Its's length will aid in absorbing the fight of fish better for techniques mentioned. It will be the longest spinning rod in the series as well.

In the casting models the Jerkbait Special returns with changes to length and also a shorter rear grip. There will be a new model dedicated to punching and other heavy cover techniques. It replaces the Flipping Special. It will be longer, with different taper and action. There will now be a new model that falls in between the EMTF and the Tour Versatile in regards to power. It will share same length as EMTF and was designed for bottom contact presentations. The Flatside Special, Diablo Spec-R, Swingfire, Launcher. Extreme Mission Type F, Tour Versatile, Perfect Pitch, and Leviathan all return as previous lengths and actions but with changes as noted earlier in post.

Sorry to be so long on this post but I wanted to share what I could share to make sure the rumors etc were being addressed a sbest as could be while still maintaining the element of surprise at the official unveiling. I wanted to make sure the correct info was being put out and received permission to do so. Please stay tuned and I will share pictures and more deatils as I am allowed. Thanks as always and always here to answer any questions or help in any way I can. Fire away and I will answer what I can.
Last edited by M Perry on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:49 pm

M Perry wrote:I am at liberty to get some better details out regarding the new XX series. please bear with me in that I can't tell every little detail quite yet but here is an early overview.

The blank is gonna be totally new. Can't share specific details on it other than the prototype models have been a definite improvement over the original blanks. The focus was on increasing sensitivity, maintain durability as well as increase lifting power. Basically each model was entirely re-balanced for targeted applications. Lots of effort went into balance points being optimal based on that specific rod. Guide placement and configuration was also well thought out with the emphasis on optimal load placement to the that particular portion of each rod. More rod composition and details to come soon. Previous price points were maintained for the most part.

There will be 11 casting models and 4 spinning models. Rods are all 1 piece rods. The casting models will be full cork handle with a different reel seat than on old models. Guides have changed as well and will be slightly larger than on original series. The final prototypes have been found to be a crisper, morse sensitive rod with better lifting power and better ergonomics.

There are new models added to new lineup that fans of the original series will appreciate. The Dropshot was changed into a true will true finesse techniques dedicated spinning model that differs from previous model and it also has a new name. The Ronin and Shakyhead models return with changes as mentioned above made specific to each model. The new spinning model will be dedicated for deep water applications such as the Dark sleeper and tube rigs. Its's length will aid in absorbing the fight of fish better for techniques mentioned. It will be the longest spinning rod in the series as well.
In the casting models the Jerkbait Special returns with changes to length and also a shorter rear grip. There will be a new model dedicated to punching and other heavy cover techniques. It replaces the Flipping Special. It will be longer, with different taper and action. there will now be a new model that falls in between the EMTF and the Tour Versatile in regards to power. It will share same length as EMTF and was designed for bottom contact presentations. The Flatside Special, Diablo Spec-R, Swingfire, Launcher. Extreme Mission Type F, Tour Versatile, Perfect Pitch, and Leviathan all return as previous lengths and actions but with changes as noted earlier in post.

Sorry to be so long on this post but I wanted to share what I could share to make sure the rumors etc were being addressed a sbest as could be while still maintaining the element of surprise at the official unveiling. I wanted to make sure the correct info was being put out and received permission to do so. Please stay tuned and I will share pictures and more deatils as I am allowed. Thanks as always and always here to answer any questions or help in any way I can.
Thanks Mark!! That sounds very exciting. Increased sensitivity and balance is always a good thing!!

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:50 pm

=D> =D>
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Sounds good so far, thanks Mark!

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:35 am

I am sad to see the “dropshot” going away, I have this rod in the original xx, as well as the x4 and phase 3 line ups. It is by far the most versatile rod I own, I use mine for cranks (up to a 1.5 square bill, or so) as well as dropshot, Ned rigs and other jig/plastic combos, small swimbaits... damn near all my fishing. Hopefully the rods I have will last me a while longer!!

The casting rods have full cork, the spinners too?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Sounds banging :big grin:

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks for the info...is the Spinnerbait Special still going to be offered?

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Should be interesting to see the finished product. Increasing sensitivity and balance of these already awesome sticks at that price point would quite the feat.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:30 am

Hope they do away with the cork foregrip/locking nut and go to something machined and better looking.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:36 am

Big-Bass wrote:Thanks for the info...is the Spinnerbait Special still going to be offered?

No, it did not make the final roster.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:37 am

Canga- wrote:
The casting rods have full cork, the spinners too?
The spinning rods will be cork handles as well. 3 models of the spinning rods will be split grip cork while 1 is full cork.