Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

Post by MediumHeavy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 am

Stabbed into your finger?? Not to be rude but that sounds overly dramatic :). The Destoyers have the same seat, as do a lot of current and upcoming MB rods, I assume. You probably wouldn’t like the Fuji PTS seat, either. The trigger is shorter than on the good old ECS.

I have short, fat fingers and never had a real seat trigger stab me. I don’t like ACS because with a reel mounted on it, it forces my fingers to bunch up between the seat and reel gear box. Feels fine without a reel. I much prefer the old ECS and the new PTS is nice. I think the current Megabass seat is one of the better ones as well.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:13 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:Stabbed into your finger?? Not to be rude but that sounds overly dramatic :). The Destoyers have the same seat, as do a lot of current and upcoming MB rods, I assume. You probably wouldn’t like the Fuji PTS seat, either. The trigger is shorter than on the good old ECS.

I have short, fat fingers and never had a real seat trigger stab me. I don’t like ACS because with a reel mounted on it, it forces my fingers to bunch up between the seat and reel gear box. Feels fine without a reel. I much prefer the old ECS and the new PTS is nice. I think the current Megabass seat is one of the better ones as well.
It digs into my ring finger and it’s not comfortable for me at all. Glad it doesn’t bother you but it caused me to have to send back a brand new Destroyer because of it. I’ve never tried a pts seat so I can not say if it would bother me or not. I have an x7 with the sk2 seat and it’s just tolerable enough to use for about an hour but still not as comfortable as the ecs. I’ve debated selling the rod quite a few times because of the seat on it too. There’s no way I could fish with it all day.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:01 pm

That’s a bummer, for sure. Not to scare you, but I see a trend toward shorter triggers on reel seats among component manufacturers. Both Fuji and American tackle have new reel seats available for builders that have shorter, or barely any, trigger. Whether production rod makers end up using them, though, who knows?

All of that said, I’d be surprised if the new XX seat isn’t the same as the Destroyer and XXX.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:29 pm

I guess we will find out in the next couple of months. That’s my guess also but I was hoping they’d leave it be since the rods are so well liked as is.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:41 pm

floriduhfish wrote:yep hate the acs
I actually like the ACS seat myself, so much so that a few of my customs have it. But they are much harder to sell if/when that time comes, so now I almost invariably go with the good old ECS on my custom builds(though the PTS seat has my attention now). The Fuji SK seat is the most-hated for me because of that wide, fat trigger, but I personally dislike every variation of the split reel seat I have tried. I sold a gen 1 Cumulus rod that I dearly loved, simply because that's the seat that began my dislike of a split seat. I never feel like I have a firm grasp on a split seat, so I end up compensating by squeezing too tightly and that causes my hand to cramp up after only a few minutes. Wish that wasn't the case, because it automatically rules out some pretty cool Megabass and Loomis rods I would love to try otherwise. So long story short, if the new XX series has the ACS, I just might give them a shot.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

floriduhfish
Angler
Angler

Post by floriduhfish » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:36 pm

I have a power tackle rod with the acs, its my favorite rod and i use it a lot. I have learned to live with it. Just not my favorite because i have smaller fingers and it makes my grip feel like it isnt great.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:58 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:Stabbed into your finger?? Not to be rude but that sounds overly dramatic :).
I don't know how else to describe the awfulness of that trigger: I used "literally," literally. It - stabbed - into - my - fat - sausage - fingers. Specifically the web between ring and pinky.

It could be the angle of the trigger as well as the length...I don't know. I do know that the xx and hyuga, esp the hyuga feels *extremely* comfortable in hand.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:52 pm

reason162 wrote:
MediumHeavy wrote:Stabbed into your finger?? Not to be rude but that sounds overly dramatic :).
I don't know how else to describe the awfulness of that trigger: I used "literally," literally. It - stabbed - into - my - fat - sausage - fingers. Specifically the web between ring and pinky.

It could be the angle of the trigger as well as the length...I don't know. I do know that the xx and hyuga, esp the hyuga feels *extremely* comfortable in hand.
Ill second that. I have fat sausage fingers and wound up selling my xxx RattleViper. I was going to have a new reel seat put on it but it made more sense to have a custom built from scratch. I love the blank, the trigger would rub into my ring finger causing a blister. I guess the xxx is not fat finger friendly.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Agree with most that the Fuji ECS seat is just simpl, tried and true, ergonomic and gets the job done. I always know if it’s got an ECS it’s good to go. Based on experience with my FMJ I could see how the trigger on that seat could cause some discomfort. I don’t have a problem with it, but the length and angle of it took a little getting used to and at times I feel like I have to adjust a bit to have a good grip on it. I do like the seat on the new 2016 GLX series though and find it very comfortable while still exposing a ton of blank.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:49 pm

Haven’t heard about any specs or models, but did hear they could be available at the end of April at the earliest.

papagravey
Angler
Angler

Post by papagravey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:34 am

I just want to know if they are going to be available in cork. And if we get a diablo spec r wanted to try one for chatterbaits but did not have the money when they got discontinued unfortunately

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:09 am

papagravey wrote: And if we get a diablo spec r wanted to try one for chatterbaits but did not have the money when they got discontinued unfortunately
I really hope they keep this model, or have something similar. I want another one! looking forward to more info...

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51 am

papagravey wrote:I just want to know if they are going to be available in cork.
Pretty sure they will have the same handle design as the XXX. Half EVA, half cork.
Instagram @___bradb

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:50 pm

biggs wrote:
Pretty sure they will have the same handle design as the XXX. Half EVA, half cork.
That's too bad, and seriously dampens my enthusiasm for them. Full cork 4 life.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Houndfish wrote:
biggs wrote:
That's too bad, and seriously dampens my enthusiasm for them. Full cork 4 life.
Not me. As long as the balance is there I think they look cool!!