Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

Post by M Perry » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 am

Canga- wrote:I am sad to see the “dropshot” going away, I have this rod in the original xx, as well as the x4 and phase 3 line ups. It is by far the most versatile rod I own, I use mine for cranks (up to a 1.5 square bill, or so) as well as dropshot, Ned rigs and other jig/plastic combos, small swimbaits... damn near all my fishing. Hopefully the rods I have will last me a while longer!!

The casting rods have full cork, the spinners too?
The new model taking its place will be very impressive and cover more of the finesse presentation spectrum. Will still be an excellent choice for dropshot presentations but will be more versatile as well.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:37 am

M Perry wrote:I am now at liberty to get some better details out regarding the new XX series. please bear with me in that I can't tell every little detail quite yet but here is an early overview of the changes and additions.

The blank is gonna be totally new. Can't share specific details on it other than the prototype models have been a definite improvement over the original blanks which was no easy task to accomplish. The focus was on increasing sensitivity, maintaining durability as well as increase lifting power. Basically each model was entirely re-balanced for targeted applications and presentations. Lots of effort went into balance points being optimal based on that specific rod itself. Guide placement and configuration was also well thought out with the emphasis on optimal load placement to the each particular portion of each rod. More rod composition and details to come soon I promise. Previous price points were maintained for the most part which I know will make some people very happy to say the least.

There will be 11 casting models and 4 spinning models. Rods are all 1 piece rods. The casting models will be full cork handle with a different reel seat than on old models. Guides have changed as well and will be slightly larger than on original series. The final prototypes have been found to be a crisper, morse sensitive rod with better lifting power and better ergonomics due to the changes listed above. The properties for each were measured as accurately as possible and I will be able to answer questions soon in regards to percentages etc of each when compared to original series.

There are new models added to new lineup that fans of the original series will appreciate I hope. The Dropshot was changed into a true finesse techniques dedicated spinning model that differs from previous model and it also has a new name. The Ronin and Shakyhead models return with changes as mentioned above made specific to each model. A new spinning model will be dedicated for deep water applications such as the Dark sleeper and tube rigs. Its's length will aid in absorbing the fight of fish better for techniques mentioned. It will be the longest spinning rod in the series as well.

In the casting models the Jerkbait Special returns with changes to length and also a shorter rear grip. There will be a new model dedicated to punching and other heavy cover techniques. It replaces the Flipping Special. It will be longer, with different taper and action. There will now be a new model that falls in between the EMTF and the Tour Versatile in regards to power. It will share same length as EMTF and was designed for bottom contact presentations. The Flatside Special, Diablo Spec-R, Swingfire, Launcher. Extreme Mission Type F, Tour Versatile, Perfect Pitch, and Leviathan all return as previous lengths and actions but with changes as noted earlier in post.

Sorry to be so long on this post but I wanted to share what I could share to make sure the rumors etc were being addressed a sbest as could be while still maintaining the element of surprise at the official unveiling. I wanted to make sure the correct info was being put out and received permission to do so. Please stay tuned and I will share pictures and more deatils as I am allowed. Thanks as always and always here to answer any questions or help in any way I can. Fire away and I will answer what I can.
I like the sound of all that, thanks for sharing! Just from that limited info I can see myself immediately buying a couple of them.
Hope that reel seat isn't a stinker, that's the only thing that gives me pause. Megabass has a history of using the absolute best reel seats, as well as the absolute worst. Fingers crossed for a good one!

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 am

I'm personally glad you're keeping the extreme mission type f or whatever they may call it now depending on the action :big grin:

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Cristo wrote:I'm personally glad you're keeping the extreme mission type f or whatever they may call it now depending on the action :big grin:

Its still gonna be called the EMTF and will be same length as previous model. There is a new rod coming that will slide in between the EMTF and the Tour Versatile though. =D>

TobyJ
Angler
Angler

Post by TobyJ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:42 am

Can’t wait to learn more about the new, longer spinning rod!

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 am

Big ups MPerry! The new in between rod sounds very interesting as well =D>

Hey jack18
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hey jack18 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Will there be a frog model

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Hey jack18 wrote:Will there be a frog model
There appears to be a new perfect pitch. If it’s as good as the original or better then you will have all the frog rod you need! :D

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 pm

When will these be available?

I have money burning a hole in my pocket....

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:07 pm

Might have to swoop a Perfect pitch. I frogged a lot last year.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:17 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:When will these be available?

I have money burning a hole in my pocket....

Hopefully they will be widely available mid to late April. As soon as the rods are displayed at The Classic you should be able to preorder from dealers.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:20 am

Hey jack18 wrote:Will there be a frog model

I prefer the Perfect Pitch as does many in regards to throwing a hollow body frog. The Perfect Pitch definitely will be returning in the new series. Its one of those all time great models. Seems most brands have that one "must have" model and for me I would vote for the Perfect Pitch. So versatile its crazy. I admit that I own so many of that one that I may have a slight addiction to that model... :big grin:

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:44 am

Perfect Pitch is probably my favorite rod of any brand or series, ever. It handles so much for a heavy powered stick. Hoping that magic is not lost on the new model, as that is the first one I’d consider. Though, I’m curious about the new models for sure.

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:13 am

I had the Tour Versatile in the original line, but didn’t get a chance to try to Perfect Pirch. What made the PP so much more widely loved than the TV in yall’s opinions?
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 am

GaterB wrote:I had the Tour Versatile in the original line, but didn’t get a chance to try to Perfect Pirch. What made the PP so much more widely loved than the TV in yall’s opinions?
I've never fished the TV but the pp has just the right amount of tip for many techniques and flows right into a solid backbone. Even though it's a heavy powered, fast action rod the taper allows it to be super versatile.