Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

Post by spookybaits » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Given these are essentially xxx blanks with different tapers- for those that have owned them, what do y'all think of the xxx blanks in general? Like them better than the older xx blanks?
How's the sensitivity on them?

I'm digging the specs on some of these. Like the looks too. I'll have to hold one in in hand before forming an opinion on the reel seat(they look like ecs but hearing some of you guys saying you hate them gives me pause).

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Man MB, what happened? People who are making decisions at the table should be slapped back to the kid table or out of the industry. Coaches, presidents etc get fired for decisions like that. Don't get me wrong great looking sticks but all this business rhetoric and stuff needs to go. If it looks like a duck.......I may try one but it is like asking a kid to eat a fish flavored popsicle and trying to convince them it is an innovative new and great flavor , not a great analogy but not a great start out of gate for this effort for such a storied Brand. Like the look but way too familiar, too soon and yet another dart missing the board by MB IMHO. Hours spent on decisions 8-[ :lol: I appreciate the efforts but there seems to be some fading across all lines lately, again IMHO. Oh well just my 2 cents O:)

I am still a MB playa though, don't hate me :lol:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:36 pm

As long as a blanks aren't softer than the old xx then the rods should be great. My concern is the lack of carbon wrapping found on the old xx rods. I have an xXx Black Elseil II which is built as a versatile F4 (medium) power rod designed to be rigid enough for light plastics and texas rigs thanks to the metal fibers yet capable of jerkbaits and other smaller moving baits. I find that the rod is far too soft for light plastics and texas rigs. It's no different in taper and power than any other 6'6" M rod off the shelf at my local bass pro. Very unimpressive taper for what it is billed as being capable of doing. My 7'2" M Zodias is much, much more capable light platics and texas rigs rod yet is still good at jerkbaits. I use my BE2 xXx as a dedicated jerkbait rod but even the handle is really long for that application. Not the best purchase I have made but it is cable of jerkbait work and that's how it is going to be used.

I wouldn't let my experience with one xXx model taint anyone's impression of the new xx rods but I'm not running out any buying any until I hear some feedback on how the news xx rods stack up to the old. I have some concerns about the back bone and lifting power of these new xx rods over the old. For example will the new Perfect Pitch be able to fill old Perfect Pitch' s shoes?

As far as the seat trigger goes... It is unusual shaped in that is is super tiny and it is almost like it is not there. People hold onto rods different ways and how you grip the rod when casting or palming will impact how you precive the reel seat. I don't have any problems when palming the reel but when casting I grip the rod handle and place my index finger behind the seat's trigger. When doing this it feels as if my finger could easily slide off the little nub of a trigger. It's a little unnerving at 1st but I quickly got over it.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:53 pm

Talk about subjectivity, see and I dig the BE2 for light plastics and t rigs :laugh1: This another great thread! In all joking aside always best vibes but even my wife said they are the same rods :lol: :lol: :lol: I was like but they plainly are labeled XX and XXX :-k

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:13 pm

"I spoke to MB and this is the deal.......Unbeknownst to me, my wife the cool lady she is had set up a new type of savings vehicle for me. It is called "do not make anything that my husband wants to buy for a few years" . Apparently it is an aggressive new savings program to earn big for retirement and or later fishing splurges :-k I guess they do it for a select few customers and section 8 receivers ;) "

This was a joke 8-)

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:28 pm

Wow, I guess I just don’t understand all the hate on a series of rods that aren’t even available yet? Just because they look similar to the JDM rods? Before writing them off, keep this in mind, from Megabass of America:

“...the new Orochi XX draws inspiration from the Orochi xXx platform released in Japan--then takes it up a few notches with upgraded low-resin carbon blanks

So, while the same material may be used, it doesn’t mean the blanks have the same characteristics or exact material composition at all. That’s like saying all rods used with “40-ton toray carbon fiber” or “high modulous” materials are not worth trying because the material was used before. I realize the TT crowd holds MB to very high standards, and that the XX gen 1 was really a great series, which means that win or lose with this series they’ll learn a lot about their user’s interests. And, after all, criticism is, to some, the highest form of love. But, I’d say wait for actual reviews or usage before just tossing them aside.

The reel seat, I totally understand if that doesn’t work for someone. I know the ACS is not a seat I want to see and will steer me clear of a rod no matter how worthwhile it may be. So, that part I do understand, and it doesn’t look like MB will stop using the spiral architect seat anytime soon.

I’m excited about the new series, and I hope they’re truly the logical next step for Megabass. But I’m certainly not going to judge them before getting to use them. Also, I’m glad they aren’t some abhorrent bright color or rely on some overt marketing gimmick to generate sales. Thankfully, they still look like Megabass rods :D

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:46 pm

It is an exciting release for some and not for others. Looks like a MB For sure. I have seen thos argument with folks here and it seems to apply here
We get into our individual groove with MB and in time and most of us all say the sam sh*t. I feel like it is my time and I hit that weird groove of not really liking all the newer stuff. Feels recycled, reissued, repurposed or re-labeled. I use times like these to go after older stuff that can be procured. Time will tell with these like all things, but these aren't out yet and like another familiar thread is polarizing to the affect of if I were in the round table I would make some tougher decisions about stated product. Not that this is going to ding MB but you want to garner for people to want and chomp, and at the bit to get into your product....
Not see a glimpse and some blurbs and say, hey I will pass, or maybe next time, or it is this with a different name type of reactions. That to me from a business stand point is scary. Business is fickle but dang son not a good start any way you slice it.

I still ride hard for MB! Yuki is the big homie!! Stay up!!!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:01 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:Wow, I guess I just don’t understand all the hate on a series of rods that aren’t even available yet? Just because they look similar to the JDM rods? Before writing them off, keep this in mind, from Megabass of America:

“...the new Orochi XX draws inspiration from the Orochi xXx platform released in Japan--then takes it up a few notches with upgraded low-resin carbon blanks

So, while the same material may be used, it doesn’t mean the blanks have the same characteristics or exact material composition at all. That’s like saying all rods used with “40-ton toray carbon fiber” or “high modulous” materials are not worth trying because the material was used before. I realize the TT crowd holds MB to very high standards, and that the XX gen 1 was really a great series, which means that win or lose with this series they’ll learn a lot about their user’s interests. And, after all, criticism is, to some, the highest form of love. But, I’d say wait for actual reviews or usage before just tossing them aside.

The reel seat, I totally understand if that doesn’t work for someone. I know the ACS is not a seat I want to see and will steer me clear of a rod no matter how worthwhile it may be. So, that part I do understand, and it doesn’t look like MB will stop using the spiral architect seat anytime soon.

I’m excited about the new series, and I hope they’re truly the logical next step for Megabass. But I’m certainly not going to judge them before getting to use them. Also, I’m glad they aren’t some abhorrent bright color or rely on some overt marketing gimmick to generate sales. Thankfully, they still look like Megabass rods :D
Yeah I don't get it either. Were the XXX blanks bad or something? I guess I need to read up on older xxx threads.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:52 pm

spookybaits wrote:Yeah I don't get it either. Were the XXX blanks bad or something? I guess I need to read up on older xxx threads.
No, not bad blanks or rods at all. But they are a budget series from a company that has high expectations from their client base. And with the new XX rods being visually very similar to the XXX series, I can understand a little bit of a collective let-down from the TT crowd. I think most people were expecting something in the aesthetics that would really set this series apart from a series that runs ~$100 less. Same reel seat, same rear grip design/look(though all cork on the new XX rods), same or similar look on the lower carbon weave for the butt section....I know that the new XX has superior guides and the weave on the lower section has metal, shape-memory fibers, but you get where I'm going. We are a fickle lot, indeed.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:02 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
spookybaits wrote:Yeah I don't get it either. Were the XXX blanks bad or something? I guess I need to read up on older xxx threads.
No, not bad blanks or rods at all. But they are a budget series from a company that has high expectations from their client base. And with the new XX rods being visually very similar to the XXX series, I can understand a little bit of a collective let-down from the TT crowd. I think most people were expecting something in the aesthetics that would really set this series apart from a series that runs ~$100 less. Same reel seat, same rear grip design/look(though all cork on the new XX rods), same or similar look on the lower carbon weave for the butt section....I know that the new XX has superior guides and the weave on the lower section has metal, shape-memory fibers, but you get where I'm going. We are a fickle lot, indeed.
Ohhhhh, I gotcha. I didn't even realize the xxx rods were a lower tier rod. I thought they were higher tier(due to the extra 'x' :doh: ). Well that makes sense now.
Mathematically speaking, I guess the pricing seems pretty fair(with the upgraded line guides, components, r&d, etc). But yeah, I get the disappointment & underwhelming sentiments expressed.
And looking at photos, I'm starting to see what people are talking about with that trigger/reel seat. It does look a little.. stabby. (Side note: why did Yuki quit using the arms stealth reel seat? That seat was badass.) I have wondered who all does the testing for megabass rods. The guys who insisted the sk2 & acs (and now these little spiral stabby triggers) are what the people want :-k ;)

The rods are pretty slick looking though. They've got character.
Maybe they'll turn out to be dynamite. Hopefully.
Last edited by spookybaits on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:02 pm

No hate here, I will be getting the swimbait rod

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:45 pm

Just a few more tidbits......

Not sure where some are getting a $100 difference between the XXX and the XX rods. The XXX as a $239.99 to $279.99 while the XX are $265 to $319. Basically less than $50. Factor in the new components and upgrades on the XX and the fact that MB held tight to old pricing and you are getting a lot for your.money.

The XX was not designed specifically for the enthusiast as much as it is meant to be a workhorse rod for the US market. With this new generation you now are getting more of a JDM look which should appeal to many. I will put thge XX up against any similarly priced rod. It shines in performance and pricing as well or better than any.

I also want to address the handle. The new handle is tapered similar to the Destroyer. It will not be as large a diameter as the older generation.

Tackle Tour has a good write up with pictures on the new rods.
http://tackletour.com/previewmegabassorochixxgen2.html

Thanks and as always I appreciate all the feedback.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:39 am

Mark thanks for taking time to share with us all of the info and thoughts on the series. I think the part that gets us is that you mention MB had put extra time into crafting this series. More R&D, more feedback, more testing, etc but yet the looks are barely distinguishable from the XXX rods. Surely there are improvements in terms of the blank and guides to increase performances and feel but visually many were expecting something different from current MB offerings and not just something different from the prior Orichi XX rod line that ended up being very successful and popular. IMO if MB truly spent this much time reworking the series how did the looks come out as nearly identical? Why not change a few visual things help distinguish them asthetically?

Yes, it appears they took the time to perfect the actions, tapers, and overall uses of each rod to the US angler plus add in a few new models but it seems like they took quite a bit of visual carry over from the XXX rods. To me that seems like taking the easy way out instead of designing something more unique looking. Not saying it needed to be more blinged out but just different then what they had done prior.

Having never used an XXX rod I can’t comment on how they perform. I just know it seems like they are not as popular and a few reviews I seen the user seemed to think they were ok. Some noted they lacked feel and others were not to fond of the reel seat.

I will likely give the new redesigned XX rods a shot after some user reviews are out.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:01 am

More specifically, the roughly $100 difference I was referring to was between the XXX model I like and the XX model that now vaguely interests me. My general point was that the XX is above the XXX in features and price.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:59 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:Mark thanks for taking time to share with us all of the info and thoughts on the series. I think the part that gets us is that you mention MB had put extra time into crafting this series. More R&D, more feedback, more testing, etc but yet the looks are barely distinguishable from the XXX rods. Surely there are improvements in terms of the blank and guides to increase performances and feel but visually many were expecting something different from current MB offerings and not just something different from the prior Orichi XX rod line that ended up being very successful and popular. IMO if MB truly spent this much time reworking the series how did the looks come out as nearly identical? Why not change a few visual things help distinguish them asthetically?

Yes, it appears they took the time to perfect the actions, tapers, and overall uses of each rod to the US angler plus add in a few new models but it seems like they took quite a bit of visual carry over from the XXX rods. To me that seems like taking the easy way out instead of designing something more unique looking. Not saying it needed to be more blinged out but just different then what they had done prior.

Having never used an XXX rod I can’t comment on how they perform. I just know it seems like they are not as popular and a few reviews I seen the user seemed to think they were ok. Some noted they lacked feel and others were not to fond of the reel seat.

I will likely give the new redesigned XX rods a shot after some user reviews are out.
As I stated earlier the entire series of blanks for the XX while they share the material to a point with the XXX rods was totally built from scratch. The time and effort it took to design 15 blanks did not happen overnight. The blanks are not simply XXX blanks with XX badging. They were built from the ground up.

When you put the XX side by side with the XXX you will see differences as I explained such as coloration and visually.

Also it's important to point out that it's not like the XXX was a huge flop or substandard. In a way some are making it sound like it's an inferior rod. As I pointed out before there are few complaints that the US and JDM Destoyers look very similar. People rave about both series. I think as people use and see the XX it will ease some of the skepticism a bit.