Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi XX... What’s next for the USDM??

Post by spookybaits » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:35 am

These look awesome! =D>
Individual rod specs now up at tackletrap- http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... _2694_2695

Very stoked about:

-the jerkbait rod is now a fast action! I don't love the length increase, but... that's gonna be a badass jerkbait rod.
-Launcher is now one piece! For sure getting this one. \:D/
-Leviathan also seems to be one piece! Will be getting this one or Onager

Will likely get either the diablo spec-r or tour versatile as well. And if I wasnt stacked with shallow crankbait rods I'd probably get that flat side special too. Heck, I might get it anyway :D

I'm definitely digging these rods!
Last edited by spookybaits on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:36 am

jpmoney wrote:I like the look, so far from the couple pics shown. I would like to see what the spinning models look like..

That enforcer..... =P~
from gary's site
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=12669

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:38 am

M Perry wrote:
MediumHeavy wrote:So, retailers are dropping the price on the Levante series. Discontinuing them or introducing new versions? Could we be seeing TWO new series from MB this year? Or has the floor of the new XX lineup been lowered to compete in the 200-250 demographic?

Personally, I hope it’s all true!!!! :D
Strictly a retailer's choice to discount them. Currently nothing is in the works in regards to the Levante Series. In addition it is NOT being discontinued.

As for the XX price point the new series will be priced very similar to first generation.
I thought Megabass has strict pricing rules for retailers, as in no discounts?

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:40 am

I foresee a lot of folks being keen on that braillist. Could be the new Nautilus...
Whereas the new EMTF zeroed-in on treble-lure applications, its new sibling, BRAILLIST, chose bottom-contact applications as its raison d’être, delivering a dramatic increase in sensitivity that allows anglers to “read” bottom composition with surprising clarity.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:44 am

evilcatfish wrote:
M Perry wrote:
MediumHeavy wrote:So, retailers are dropping the price on the Levante series. Discontinuing them or introducing new versions? Could we be seeing TWO new series from MB this year? Or has the floor of the new XX lineup been lowered to compete in the 200-250 demographic?

Personally, I hope it’s all true!!!! :D
Strictly a retailer's choice to discount them. Currently nothing is in the works in regards to the Levante Series. In addition it is NOT being discontinued.

As for the XX price point the new series will be priced very similar to first generation.
I thought Megabass has strict pricing rules for retailers, as in no discounts?

MB requests that retailers stay within retail pricing but in some cases works with retailers to allow customers to buy at a discounted price. Much like the first generation XX rods last fall. It is rare to see MB products discounted but usually when you do its an agreement between both parties. Does not mean the rod series is going away or changing though. Between the XX reveal coming up and a ton of other projects in the STW pipeline its safe to say MB has their hands full right now. Nothing is scheduled at the moment to make changes to the Levante lineup.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:46 am

I just posted a bunch of pics in the "E-Tailers" section guys. We will go live on Facebook and Instagram later today too...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:19 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
jpmoney wrote:I like the look, so far from the couple pics shown. I would like to see what the spinning models look like..

That enforcer..... =P~
from gary's site
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=12669

Yes, totally forgot I should have checked there first - thanks for posting. Man, they F-ed up that enforcer with the lockdown going the wrong way!! Daaayyyuum. I like the full cork, but I gave up on front lockdowns on spinning rods a long while ago. Just hated the way they felt (cough cough...dobyns dx 764sf).

The ronin looks sick though. And the other two spinning rods look very reminiscent of the Addermine.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:17 am

biggs wrote:Can you see it?

We had a spy shot all along. I thought they would be full cork xxx rods but was hoping for something more. Oh well.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:28 am

So this isn’t a rebadged XxX?
The MB website sure makes it seem that way??

And please don’t say SiC guides and balance points!

I have to say I am super disappointed but I was preparing myself from what I already saw.
Instagram @___bradb

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:34 am

LowRange wrote:

We had a spy shot all along. I thought they would be full cork xxx rods but was hoping for something more. Oh well.
By all means your opinion is yours but they are not just rebadged XXX rods.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:51 am

M Perry wrote:
LowRange wrote:

You are correct. I was hoping for a different aesthetic is all. I understood that the blanks would have xx specific tapers.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:11 am

I really wanted a F3 in casting :(

I guess the whipsnake will have to do....

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:48 am

M Perry wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I’m not trying to be difficult here but what makes the blanks different other than taper?
The USDM website says it uses Kabt X47-ASL Metal Fiber Blanks for the XX and the JDM Megabass website says it uses Kabt X47-ASL Metal Fiber Blanks for the XXX.

Seems the same to me?? The US Megabass website even mentions the JDM XXX blank.
Instagram @___bradb

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:40 pm

biggs wrote:
M Perry wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I’m not trying to be difficult here but what makes the blanks different other than taper?
The USDM website says it uses Kabt X47-ASL Metal Fiber Blanks for the XX and the JDM Megabass website says it uses Kabt X47-ASL Metal Fiber Blanks for the XXX.

Seems the same to me?? The US Megabass website even mentions the JDM XXX blank.
You are not being difficult at all. Fire away with questions. This is part of it in regards to taking the good comments with the criticism when a new product comes out. Not everyone will be impressed by it.

You are correct in that both series share the Kabt X47 material but please understand that each blank in the XX series was designed from scratch. They may share the processes etc that the XXX rods have when the blanks are being manufactured but the XX blanks are their own beast so to speak. To get to the XX blank different weight of graphite and other materials are used. Much like cooking you have to create a recipe to get to the finished product. To get the results wanted those ingredients are adjusted.

One example I'd like to point out is that people often forget the US Destroyers share the same material as the JDM Destroyer rods. You get various lineups sharing some of the same technology/materials within Megabass. That is done because a certain material proves itself and is felt to be an improvement over previous material used.
As far as the visual aesthetics of the XX and the XXX rods similarities that was done purposefully to create generational consistency across the two Orochi series. When these rods are compared against one another you will see some color differences and such but at the same time Megabass wanted bring both series within the same family.

The time and thought put into the redesign was tremendous. You guys are seeing 18-24 months of planning, prototyping, testing and going back to the drawing board. Every detail was pored over. Small details like the shade of the butt cap insert color etc were all debated and changed. I cannot even begin to tell you the effort to get the larger details and componenets that it took. In the end everyone who has handled and fished the new generation XX rods have had positive impressions and feel that they are a true improvement. The looks are designed to be like nothing else on the market and grab your attention but the performance is what will really get people excited. I feel they will do both equally well.

I want to stress that I appreciate any and all questions, criticism and comments. That is how we learn and improve if needed. Being able to get real time feedback from Megabass fans is invaluable. Please do not stop asking the hard questions or voicing your opinions whether positive or not so positive. Megabass is proud of the new XX lineup and hopefully the anglers who use them will be as well. Please just try to take a look at them in person and let us know what you think. Thanks
Last edited by M Perry on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:46 pm

Thats disappointing. They're just xxx rods with different tapers?
I'll pass. :talk hand: