megabass hein vs 852C JWR

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

megabass hein vs 852C JWR

Post by antoniolopez944 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:20 pm

hey guys, Im looking to buy a new rod for my birthday lol. Ive been looking at getting a bait casting rod for lighter weights. I will be using this rod with a core 101mg, a yumeya BFS and between 6-8 lb flouro. I plan on using this rod for 1/4 oz jigs with rage craw trailers, 3/16 oz owner ultra ball heads rigged with easy shiners. Heaviest will probably be 3/8 oz but very rarely. I bought a finesse spool a couple years ago and this will be my first "finesse rod", another rod i was looking at was the fmj for bigger jigs but thats a different thread lol.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: megabass hein vs 852C JWR

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:48 pm

For the intended purpose of jigs and finesse jigs hard to beat the 852C

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:10 pm

But the Hien is sick :big grin:

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:29 pm

I have the GLX 852 JWR (2016) with a Metanium MG7 V2 for finesse. Yumeya 32mm spool with 7# FC Sniper. It’s my go to finesse. I’ve tuned it and tossed in ZPI bearings and a brass main gear. Makes for a very powerful finesse rod.

Lightest I can go while still getting great distance is the small TRD Zman’s on a 1/16 oz head. 3” weightless senko’s I can pitch pretty decent off hand, but going for distance with any amount of wind is a bear. Weightless Zoom flukes on a 4/0 finesse are a dream to cast with this rig.

I’ve got zero use on the Hein, but I can tell you the 852 JWR makes finesse really pleasurable.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:27 pm

To those who have used both, which one has more backbone? Looking for something with a tad more backbone than the NRX 852c. Will be used for the Texas rigs in the 3/16 to 3/8oz range
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 am

antoniolopez944 wrote:hey guys, Im looking to buy a new rod for my birthday lol. Ive been looking at getting a bait casting rod for lighter weights. I will be using this rod with a core 101mg, a yumeya BFS and between 6-8 lb flouro. I plan on using this rod for 1/4 oz jigs with rage craw trailers, 3/16 oz owner ultra ball heads rigged with easy shiners. Heaviest will probably be 3/8 oz but very rarely. I bought a finesse spool a couple years ago and this will be my first "finesse rod", another rod i was looking at was the fmj for bigger jigs but thats a different thread lol.
The F3-610X Hein is in the zone with these applications. The rare 3/8 oz jig head/swim bait combo is the odd one out, but I've regularly thrown a full sized Rio Rico at about 1/2 oz with no problem on the Hein. It's a spectacular light t-rig, light jig rod too. It's very crisp, sensitive, and a lot of fun to fish in general.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by antoniolopez944 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:31 am

I meant to say 3/8oz total weight lol. I ended up calling the tackle trap and was convinced on the new shimano gloomis conquest rod 842c mbr. I'll see how this rod performs as a finesse stick, but it will probably take over my nrx 853JCR as my general purpose jig rod. Thanks to the guys at tackle trap it was a great experience.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:28 pm

antoniolopez944 wrote:I meant to say 3/8oz total weight lol. I ended up calling the tackle trap and was convinced on the new shimano gloomis conquest rod 842c mbr. I'll see how this rod performs as a finesse stick, but it will probably take over my nrx 853JCR as my general purpose jig rod. Thanks to the guys at tackle trap it was a great experience.
Let us know how the 853 NRX and the 842 Conquest compare.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by antoniolopez944 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:42 pm

I want to start off by saying the conquest is bueatiful. The craftsmanship was perfect as far as I could tell the rod had no blemishes. I was surprised that the conquest did not come with a rod sleeve like my nrxs, being that the conquest is suppose to be the new flagship rod. Besides the rod sleeve, I really can't complain. I bought the 842 MBR, this rod is light almost disappears in your hand. If you liked the reel seat on the nrx you are gonna love this one. The fore grip is slightly less pronounced and in my opinion slightly more comfortable. The spiral x design looks sweet in the sun. I paired the 842 MBR with a shimano core( yumeya finnese spool, 8lb sniper fluro, and a 1/4oz finesse jig ) and fished for approximately an hour. I own 2 nrxs a 843c and a 853c. I have read mixed opinions regarding sensitivity. In my opinion the conquest is more sensitive, its hard to describe the exact sensation. The bottom on the lake I was fishing felt more crisp. This is where I was taken by surprise the tip on the 842 conquest is soft, its really soft. The conquest also is a little less powerful than I thought it would be. The 842 will probably serve well as a mag finesse rod 1/4 to 3/8 oz. I would say the upper limit would be a 3/8 jig and trailer but that would be pushing it. Although it was less powerful than I thought it would be. Once the soft tip hits the back bone the rod loads really well. The rod blank feels better built and stronger than the nrx.
For people considering this rod over the NRX the main differences I found are
:conquest wins in sensitivity slightly
:build quality conquest wins
: Tip of the rod- NRX has a stiffer tip that leads into a hard back bone- conquest soft tip leads into a perfect backbone(I can't describe it but the backbones of these rods are special) the tip of the rod is personal preference but I feel like the tip is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people
I will be fishing the conquest with my nrxs to see if I find anything new tomorrow.

Hopefully I could help a couple people looking at this model or rod series in general. Having been an owner of NRXs since there debut, I was easily convinced to get the conquest lol good fishing guy's.