Bait Monkey is F***ing Me Over!!! HELP ME!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
The Pond King
Angler
Angler

Re: Bait Monkey is F***ing Me Over!!! HELP ME!

Post by The Pond King » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:01 pm

BlaineFred wrote:I don’t have an 893c...but I keep reading great things about it.

What are the applications, and what makes it so great?

I looked at the specs, and it’s over 7 feet long, and that is usually a turnoff for me.
x2

I already have a 7' 6", 7' 7" and 7' 11" rods, but they almost never get used unless I'm punching or flipping and pitching in heavy cover. Day in day out, I use rods from 6' 6" to 7' in Medium to Medium Heavy 90% of the time.

But yes, I'm also curious, why the 893 is one of the best rods of all time.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 am

The Pond King wrote:
BlaineFred wrote:I don’t have an 893c...but I keep reading great things about it.

What are the applications, and what makes it so great?

I looked at the specs, and it’s over 7 feet long, and that is usually a turnoff for me.
x2

I already have a 7' 6", 7' 7" and 7' 11" rods, but they almost never get used unless I'm punching or flipping and pitching in heavy cover. Day in day out, I use rods from 6' 6" to 7' in Medium to Medium Heavy 90% of the time.

But yes, I'm also curious, why the 893 is one of the best rods of all time.
You will not find a rod on the market with those specs - 7'5" or 2.25m, one piece, extra-fast. Very crisp blank, great for weightless plastic baits.
I had that rod,sold it, because didn't like balance. When G. Loomis will update NRX line, I'll probably give it another shot.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 am

I look at the specs of the 853 and the 893, and they are the same EXCEPT that the 893 is 4 inches longer.

I don't read nearly as much about the 853 as I read many favorable comments about the 893?

Is there some major difference in the way that the two rods fish that I am missing?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:56 pm

I sold my 803 to get the 893. Apps for me are similar. Senko, shakey head, trig, jig, swim jig. Has range to fish spinnerbait and buzzbait

The Pond King
Angler
Angler

Post by The Pond King » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Just as I figured then, it’s just simply a preference for the length. All other specs like the power and action is the same. Since I ordered the 803 already, I’m gonna stick with that. I like shorter rods - 6’ 6” - 7’ - for about 90% of the bass fishing I do.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:20 pm

The 893 is in a league of its own when it comes to sensitivity and feel. It may be a bit tip heavy, but just add a bit of weight to the but and you are good. It is not just a longer 853, not even close. This rod just has that "IT" feel. I did not think I would like the added length, but love it so much I also ordered a 894 to go with it. The 893 is the best 3/16-3/8 t-rig rod out there in my book.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 am

One advantage a longer rod has is ability to get that jig head to slide over chunk rock. The 894 taught me that.

I think the 803 slightly better at finness lures but 893 gets nod when fishing in modest cover. The
893 is like .3oz heavier then 803 with longer handle and 9 inches longer. Unique rod for sure

The Pond King
Angler
Angler

Post by The Pond King » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:12 pm

Sup guys, forgot to mention that I ordered the 842 AND 843 as well. Also likely going to order an Edge spinning rod as they are having 50% sales till Cyber Monday. I want a rod that’s made by a company managed by Gary Loomis the man himself because he’s the original creator of G. Loomis and he’s the father of graphite, but I am also now assured that G. Loomis post acquisition to Shimano, still produces top of the line rods.

Anyways, with the huge volume of orders due to the sales, I received a message from the vendor saying they were out of stock, so I’m still waiting on most of my other sticks to get here, but one of my rods got delivered today. It was the GLX 844c MBR!

I was so pumped when I saw it got here today. Unpackaging it felt like unpackaging a Christmas present. This is my first G. Loomis, a rod that I dreamed about owning for the longest time. I savored every moment beholding such a magnificent and majestic rod. From the first moment I held this rod, I was blown away by how well balanced and smooth it felt. I put a reel on it and tested the sensitivity by lightly tapping the tip on a hard surface to feel the vibration. The sensitivity on this stick is superb!

I tested the sensitivity and balance to other mid-level rods that I own. This G. Loomis is certainly the most refined rod I’ve had to date, but I have to admit, that while it was unquestionably superior, it wasn’t 10x better. You certainly don’t need a G. Loomis or other high-end rods to catch a bass, and a lot of mid-tier rods will definitely hold its own and give you a great bang for your buck as they are almost as good.

Here are some rods I tested it against:

St. Croix Avid X 6’ 6” Medium Fast Casting:
The sensitivity on this particular model of the Avid is virtually on par with the 844c. This particular model of the Avid is such an incredible value. The balance is comparable as well. However, the Avid X lacks the “it” factor.

St. Croix Avid 7’ Medium Heavy Fast Casting:
While it’s not a bad rod, I never really liked the classic St. Croix Avid 7’ MHF even before I had the GLX because it is tip heavy and not that sensitive. The balance on this Avid is terrible. In fact, my 7’ MHF Lightning Rods balance better than this Avid! If you are thinking about getting an Avid, I recommend that you get medium or less power and less than 7’ for length.

I love my St. Croix Avid X 6’ 6” Medium Fast Casting and 6’ 9” MLXF Spinning; they are fantastic rods, but this particular model isn’t as good. Anyways, the GLX 844c which has the same specs as this Avid, blew it away in both sensitivity and balance. The GLX blanks were a lot thinner as well versus the thicker and heavier Avid blanks. The ergonomics on the GLX was also superior than the Avid which feels thick and bulky.

Okuma Helios 7’ 6” Heavy Fast Casting:
It isn’t really common for people to use an Okuma brand rod for bass fishing as far as I know. If you remember Okuma from back in the day, it was thought of as a budget gear with mediocre quality although there were some exceptions. I don’t like all of Okuma’s products like their Helios baitcaster reel which I thought was junk (Shimano and Daiwa still takes the cake when it comes reels)… but they make some good products like the Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder spinning reels, Scott Martin TCS rods, and the Helios rod.

The Helios rod really held its own against the GLX in terms of sensitivity. The GLX still beat it, as it felt just a bit more crisper, but not by much. The balance and light weight is also comparable. I wasn’t too surprised, however, as I knew the Helios was a good rod already. What convinced me to buy the Helios rod is because I was to handle it in the store and test it against other brands of similar specs and it was the lightest and most sensitive rod even compared to the much more expensive rods such as the Dobyns Champion Extreme.

The only one thing that I didn’t like about the GLX:
Yes, I know I’m being nit-picky, but one thing I didn’t like was that there was a noticeable filler spot on my foregrip. I wish it was plain like the rest of the foregrip’s cork. I get that there’s going to be filler spots on cork, and on the main handle of the rod that’s a given, but the dots I spotted on the foregrip is darker and more noticeable than any of the other fillers on my main handle. Not worth exchanging I guess, and I know that it’s simply a cosmetic blemish and it won’t affect the performance. It’s being very nit-picky, I know, but if I’m dropping a lot of money for a high-end rod, I demand perfection. One downfall from ordering online is that you can’t pick and choose the best one out of the lot. See pictures below to show what I mean:

The very dark filler spot on my foregrip:

Wish it was clear like the other side:

The question a lot of people wonder is.. Is it worth it??
The answer is.. it depends because it’s very subjective to your own individual wealth and the amount of dispensable cash that you have. I am certainly not wealthy, and it took a big hit out of my wallet, not to mention that it was a very stupid decision financially, but I wanted these high end rods so bad that I couldn’t help but buy them. Trust me, it took me a really long time. I’ve been fishing for 16+ years, but never owned a Loomis till now.

Overall, I will have to say that it is better, but it’s not monumentally better than mid-grade gear, but there is unquestionably a higher level of refinement that is noticeable to an advanced angler. It certainly has the “it” factor where all of the little details add up, and this may sound weird, but the GLX feels “smoother.”

I don’t own a Conquest rod, but with the MBR actions available in the GLX series, I don’t see a reason to. The GLXs look more aesthetically pleasing than the Shimano-G. Loomis Conquest in terms of design. The carbon strip at the end of the handle is nice touch which the Conquest doesn’t have. I can’t imagine needing a more sensitive rod or stronger rod than a GLX for bass. GLX is more than enough. I am whole-heartedly satisfied.

I’ll update you guys when I receive my NRX 803c, GLX 842 and 843 soon, and may also be ordering an Edge rod, so stay tuned!

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:05 am

Enjoy

Once you spend that much it becomes the norm

Lucky for me I only buy what I fish. If rods sit in closet you are in trouble