Megabass V. Evergreen

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass V. Evergreen

Post by 11kalnmitc » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:32 am

Looking into the megabass levante, and the evergreen combat stick. Curious to see what your thoughts are on these two rods. Also anyone with a diablo spec R, curious what you use it for and what it excels at.

Thanks

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass V. Evergreen

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:58 am

The combat stick spinning rod (just reviewed) looks a lot like the Daiwa Cronos (black EVA instead of camo) and since Evergreen (I think) is imported through Daiwa USA, they may actually be a similar product. If you were going to step up to Megabass, I would start with the Orochi XX.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:23 am

Big-Bass wrote:If you were going to step up to Megabass, I would start with the Orochi XX.
This is always good advice.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:55 am

papabassin wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:If you were going to step up to Megabass, I would start with the Orochi XX.
Absolutely agree 100%... If you're considering Megabass XX rods, now is a good time to get in touch with me @ The Tackle Trap ;)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:24 am

bronzefly wrote:
papabassin wrote:
Absolutely agree 100%... If you're considering Megabass XX rods, now is a good time to get in touch with me @ The Tackle Trap ;)
No doubt get the XX, it's the best time to get it :P

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Alright so if i were to consider the Orochi XX, still curious what the diablo type R is like? whats its strengths and such?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:07 pm

11kalnmitc wrote:Alright so if i were to consider the Orochi XX, still curious what the diablo type R is like? whats its strengths and such?
i liked mine for spinnerbaits when i had it.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:15 pm

11kalnmitc wrote:Alright so if i were to consider the Orochi XX, still curious what the diablo type R is like? whats its strengths and such?
The DSR is a helluva single hook moving bait rod...spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, swim jigs, etc. But it is extremely versatile. I mostly use my DSR, albeit in the Levante series, for Buzzbaits and Spook-style topwaters.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:23 pm

the XX DSR is great for single hook moving baits. i throw a whopper plopper on it and lipless sometimes too. pretty good balance and very comfortable in my hands.

loads great, it's a little slower than a typical fast action IMO.

for a jig/worm rod, treat yourself to a 2017 US Destroyer. i prefer them over my NRX. You cant find better customer service than from The Tackle Trap.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:32 pm

The XX DSR is versatile. I prefer it for square bills, spinner baits, chatter bait type baits, a spook, a vixen, even a mid-depth crank like a DT-10 for example - like most guys here, for moving baits. It is sensitive enough to handle a t-rig, a 1/4 to 3/8 oz. jig, or even a Senko type bait.
bigfruits wrote:
for a jig/worm rod, treat yourself to a 2017 US Destroyer. i prefer them over my NRX.
That 2017 Destroyer FMJ, wow :big grin:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:02 am

Alright so if I'm going to go with the Orochi XX its at the $300 price range. Am I missing better option at this price point or is this pretty close to the best $300 rod. Usually spend $200-$250 on a rod so this would be a step up and you guys have more knowledge combined than anywhere else so just trying to feel out my options and I've always wanted a megabass :big grin:

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:05 am

11kalnmitc wrote:Alright so if I'm going to go with the Orochi XX its at the $300 price range. Am I missing better option at this price point or is this pretty close to the best $300 rod. Usually spend $200-$250 on a rod so this would be a step up and you guys have more knowledge combined than anywhere else so just trying to feel out my options and I've always wanted a megabass :big grin:
The new GLX 843MBR is a sick stick but out of your budget,

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:17 am

11kalnmitc wrote:Alright so if I'm going to go with the Orochi XX its at the $300 price range. Am I missing better option at this price point or is this pretty close to the best $300 rod. Usually spend $200-$250 on a rod so this would be a step up and you guys have more knowledge combined than anywhere else so just trying to feel out my options and I've always wanted a megabass :big grin:
You won't find a better rod for the money right now than the XX's IMO. Get in touch with Gary (bronzefly) and you won't be disappointed.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:56 am

Let me tell you, I own 8 MB Orochi XX rods. I absolutely love them and will be adding more. I would not trade them for anything but more MB rods. They are very versatile rods. Very comfortable to fish with. They look and feel great. Dont hesitate to try one out.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Whichever you decide, and my vote goes for XX unless you are able to put forth the extra cash for a Destroyer USA.

The DSR is one of the better sticks in the Levante line, but the XX is well worth the upgrade. But the magic stick in the XX lineup is the Perfect Pitch. It's really versatile for an extra heavy rod. And in the Destroyer USA line, if you're looking for a jig and Texas rig rod, the FMJ will blow your mind.

Definitely buy from the Tackle Trap. Those guys, especially Gary, provide the kind of customer service that most places couldn't provide even if they wanted to. Highly recommended.