MB dock rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

MB dock rod

Post by Bass1980 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:46 pm

I'm considering a few rods for skipping jigs under docks. I prefer the rod to be from 6'6-6'10. A few rods I have consider and was wondering what are your thoughts on them for skipping. Or another MB rod in the length range you have in mind.

Evoluzion F5 1/2-68xti
Phase 3 super destroyer F6-69x
Phase 3 G-AX F6-67x
X7 Super Rekkai F6-68X7

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: MB dock rod

Post by Johnny A » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:07 am

Bass1980 wrote:I'm considering a few rods for skipping jigs under docks. I prefer the rod to be from 6'6-6'10. A few rods I have consider and was wondering what are your thoughts on them for skipping. Or another MB rod in the length range you have in mind.

Evoluzion F5 1/2-68xti
Phase 3 super destroyer F6-69x
Phase 3 G-AX F6-67x
X7 Super Rekkai F6-68X7
If the F5 1/2-68xti is the Diablo, it would be the best of the 3 of the listed rods I have used. I never used the Rekkai, so I can't speak for that. The G-AX was one of my favorite rods, but it's not a skipping rod. Taper is too stiff, action is too heavy. Super Destroyer wouldn't be bad but not as good as the Diablo, again because of stiffness.
If there is any drawback with the Evoluzion, it would be on the sensitivity side. It's more of a moving bait rod than a worm and jig rod. However, when skipping jigs, most of the hits would be on initial drop.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:27 am

By specs - BEARING DOWN F5-66X 30th should be great.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:37 am

Any super destroyer should be good.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:17 pm

A lot of it depends on the size jig/trailer you're skipping... a 1/4 oz jig and finesse trailer most often might make more sense with the Diablo in your list - either way, that rod loads more easily than any of the others on your list. The X7 is the most stout and difficult to load on your list. I like both the G-AX and Super Destroyer quite a bit for 1/2 oz sized stuff with larger trailers. In the Phase III line and even the 2016 Destroyer series or the all new 2017 Destroyer Carbon Head series, they're all more sensitive than the old Diablo - but the old Diablo is a great rod too. I always liked it better for spinner baits, chatter baits, and larger top water baits.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:06 pm

bronzefly wrote:A lot of it depends on the size jig/trailer you're skipping... a 1/4 oz jig and finesse trailer most often might make more sense with the Diablo in your list - either way, that rod loads more easily than any of the others on your list. The X7 is the most stout and difficult to load on your list. I like both the G-AX and Super Destroyer quite a bit for 1/2 oz sized stuff with larger trailers. In the Phase III line and even the 2016 Destroyer series or the all new 2017 Destroyer Carbon Head series, they're all more sensitive than the old Diablo - but the old Diablo is a great rod too. I always liked it better for spinner baits, chatter baits, and larger top water baits.
I always thought of the G-Ax as about 2 steps below one of those tuna fishing rods from the Disney movies. Yanking tuna over the gunnel.
Last edited by Johnny A on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:30 pm

I'll be tossing 1/2 with rage craw 90% of the time. Yeah I've heard the Super Rekkai is too stout, not enough tip. I've had the OG Evoluzion F5 1/2-68xti in the spring but never really fished it. Kind of felt the rod was a tad bit under power for pulling fish out under dock quickly but again I didn't fish it so that is why I am asking.

I'll welcome more suggestions as I got a long winter to decide. :lol:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:27 am

Johnny A wrote:I always thought of the G-Ax as about 2 steps below one of those tuna fishing rods from the Disney movies. Yanking tuna over the gunnel.
:lol: Yeah, it does have a lot of power no doubt, but at 6'7" and a big chunky jig/trailer, it does skip baits well enough and certainly has the backbone to get them out. I still prefer the Super Destroyer however, and the new Carbon Head model has a TiSic guide train as an advantage over the 2016 Destroyer models. Both of which are available through TT with a warranty!

Loading, absolutely, the Diablo wins no doubt, and it does have good power, but it's much deeper into the blank. It's not as sensitive as the other models in my hands, and I agree with John, it's a much better moving bait rod than bottom contact rod.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:33 am

bronzefly wrote:
Johnny A wrote:I always thought of the G-Ax as about 2 steps below one of those tuna fishing rods from the Disney movies. Yanking tuna over the gunnel.
:lol: Yeah, it does have a lot of power no doubt, but at 6'7" and a big chunky jig/trailer, it does skip baits well enough and certainly has the backbone to get them out. I still prefer the Super Destroyer however, and the new Carbon Head model has a TiSic guide train as an advantage over the 2016 Destroyer models. Both of which are available through TT with a warranty!

Loading, absolutely, the Diablo wins no doubt, and it does have good power, but it's much deeper into the blank. It's not as sensitive as the other models in my hands, and I agree with John, it's a much better moving bait rod than bottom contact rod.
My G-Ax was about the most technique specific rod I ever had, close range pitchin'. Into pads. Into pockets. Up against dock pilings. 25lb test, drag locked down TD-Z 103H, 6" Yamamoto grub. Very sensitive for such a heavy stick but you felt that "tick" or see the line move a bit, it was game on!

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:47 am

I use the diablo for skipping docks and it's not a terrible rod for it. I usually use a 3/8 jig + trailer or a 6" senko on it. It was previously used as my spinnerbait rod. I think it does handle moving baits better as like Gary said, it loads deep, but it works well as a skipping rod too. A bit lacking in power to really muscle fish out from under.

I recently bought the Brigandage and Super Rekkai slant bridges to try for the same technique. Obviously they will lack a bit in the sensitivity department compared to the Evo and X7 offerings, but both fit the bill. The Rekkai is a stiff one and definitely better suited for a heavier bait. I've yet to get the Brig on the water.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm