TD-S "Greenie" original (circa 1997-98)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

TD-S "Greenie" original (circa 1997-98)

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:40 pm

I have a 6' casting original run TD-S "Greenie" rod and was wondering what this rod is worth? The cork is used but cleaned and still in very good shape, all guides are original with no issues/problems, and the rod is overall very clean for being about 20 years old. I know there was/is a big following for these rods and it is one of only two 6' casting rods I own (the other is a Falcon Expert). Just curious to know since there is so much helpful input on this site. Thanks for any/all help/responses and best wishes on the water.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: TD-S "Greenie" original (circa 1997-98)

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:22 pm

I think you would need to find the right collector, especially if it's not mint. I go to an old school bait shop now and again that's also a sort of tackle antique store. It's a combination of some really cool older stuff and some junk. The guy that owns it would probably price this rod around 120, judging from his current inventory. Problem is that most of his stuff is on the overpriced side, based on what I've looked up on interwebs and he rarely sells anything from the antique store side. But, he has to keep the lights on. He makes his money on the new bait and tackle and the other part of the store is likely mostly his hobby. I do get sucked into buying an old lure now and again though...

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:28 am

I think you'd do good to get fifty for it. I use mostly green handles and got a mixture of originals and newer ones. If it were the 6'3" I'd be interested. The green handles are super tough blank's but sometimes the reel seats need reglued. You should hold onto it and throw jerkbaits with it.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:52 pm

They are still pretty good rods but I wouldn't think the price they go for would be worth selling the one you have. Especially if you have to pay shipping costs. If it were mine I'd hang on to it and use it for tip down techniques like poppers or jerkbaits. It is also a good length for skipping in close quarters or for roll casting under overhanging trees with spinnerbaits and crankbaits. If you fish any ponds or small waters from the bank or fish from a kayak, the short length is sometimes handy to have. If you just have no place for it in your arsenal I'd probably list it on Craigslist or Facebook for around 50-75 bucks. It's too new and there were too many produced to make it a collectors item, and too old to compare with current offerings over 100 bucks from most manufacturers. You never know, somebody may be looking for that exact rod and buy it quick, but I don't see more than 75 bucks for it since the tatula and tatula xt rods sell for not much more new with a warranty

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:36 am

Whatever some schmuck would pay. Same thing with older reels like the green curados. I don't believe there is a huge demand for these rods but to the "right" person I would bet you can sell it for something respectable. Given the condition you mention it is in I doubt it would go for more than $100 shipped and to be honest you may be lucky to get half that. Like others said try and sell locally to cut out shipping expenses, use it yourself, or pass it on to a young angler

806swampdonkey
Angler
Angler

Post by 806swampdonkey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:12 pm

I think around 50 based on the last few I've bought and seen for sale.

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:25 am

A couple years ago I bought a pair of the TD-S 7' crankbait/spinnerbait composite rods, NWT off ebay for like $125 shipped or something like that because I had used those rods in the past with success. One comparison of those rods to some newer crank rods I had made me quickly decide to forego the TD-S rods without even using them. I sold the pair for less than I bought them, and these were NWT. Older technology rods are like old golf clubs these days, almost worthless unless you find the right buyer.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:25 am

I sold the one I had since I posted this originally and while it was sad to see it go, I couldn't pass on the price. I am sure the gentleman that bought it is enjoying it. I think he has a bunch.