Megabass F3st-610XXS vs F3st-610S Stinger Tip Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass F3st-610XXS vs F3st-610S Stinger Tip Rods

Post by evilcatfish » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Hey all, I've been toying with the idea of getting a new drop shot setup in the next couple months and I'm pretty sure I'll be going with one of the Megabass Stinger Shot offerings. I've never tried a solid/stinger tip rod and it is a little intriguing. For those who have fished both, how do you feel the Levante and Orochi XX versions stack up against each other? I have little experience with the Orochi XX or Levante, so any input is appreciated.

Oh, and either way, I'm pretty sure I'll be pairing it with one of the new Tatula LTs coming out this winter.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass F3st-610XXS vs F3st-610S Stinger Tip Rods

Post by bronzefly » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:57 am

The XX is noticeably lighter and more sensitive than the Levante in my hands. If the difference in price isn't an obstacle, buy the XX, you'll be glad you did in the long run. The stinger tip rods are much better for vertical drop shot fishing than cast and drag for me. I really don't like them as "general purpose" drop shot rods, rather very specific for vertical applications.

The Tackle Trap will have some of the Tatula 2500 LT models early this coming week if you don't want to wait until winter. The new Ballistic LT looks and feels great too, especially on that new Hammer Drop shot rod 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:32 am

I fish my dropshot mostly cast and drag and found the stinger tip a tad light and whippy for that. Like Gary said it is a very specialized rod. I keep it in my boat still for vertical and ultra light line presentations and stick to a Super Eiger now for cast and drag. Sensitivity on the XX is great. I've landed fish to 5.5lbs on the rod. Once they get to 2lbs (especially smallies) the fish overpower the rod and you're along for the ride till it's tired :lol: Dragging the 5.5 largie to the boat was a chore even once it was tuckered out :lol: . It is definitely soft enough to protect light line, I keep 5lb spooled on mine.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks for the detailed responses guys. I think I liked the idea of the stinger tip but know in the back of my mind its not the best option. Pretty sure I'll go with the XX, not that the Levante is bad but I know with my OCD I'll end up wanting more, or maybe I'll just buck up for the Addermine lol. I'll probably go with the F3-611 XXS, but as someone who may occasionally use the rod for a shakeyhead or tube, would the F3.5-70 XXS be a better option? It seems their specs are somewhat similar.

The Hammer rod does sound nice, but I'd hate to buy one blind as I've never fished/held anything from them before

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 am

Understood on the Hammer - it was just released so not many folks have handled it, but in the sub-$200 category, it's going to impress a lot of folks, is US made, has great warranty, and they got it right from all indications so far. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it over the winter. I know I'd take it over the Levante SS at this point in time.

If you can step up to the Addermine, good for you, that is one spectacular rod indeed. I consider it a multi purpose spinning rod rather than a dedicated drop shot rod. It handles shakey heads, tubes, wacky rigs, jerk baits, smaller crank baits, and can effectively drop shot as well. It's more similar to the XX Shakey Head than the XX Drop Shot in power and technique range. Unless you're tossing really light tubes in open water, and really small shakey heads, I generally prefer the 3.5 power over the 3 power with those taken into consideration. Decisions, decisions! :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:58 am

I use the XX stinger shot on Erie for big smallies. Pulled in 4-5 lbers with no issues. Beautiful stick and no problems with sensitivity. If you can find one and you want a casting rod, the X4 hedgehog is nice. If you want a true specialized tip, go the Daiwa Cielo with the titanium tip. =P~