Spybait Rod Question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Spybait Rod Question

Post by medicpelle » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Looking at purchasing a new rod for spybaits. I'm currently throwing Duo Realis 80's on DC 703sf. I have a hard time getting consistent long accurate casts with this rod. The bait has to be a certain distance from the tip to be able to get a good load to make a long cast. I feel the tip is too stiff to allow a proper load. I'm using straight 6lb FC and have no problems landing fish, no break offs. I'm Looking at the DC701sf and DC702sf. I do not have the ability to put either of these in my hand. Not sure if the 702 will still be too heavy or the 701 would be too light. Anyone use either of these rods for this application?
Last edited by medicpelle on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Dobyns Question

Post by medicpelle » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm also looking at the Megabass F3-611XXS Drop Shot rod as well.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Spybait Rod Question

Post by medicpelle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:13 pm

83 views and not a reply :roll: , I went with the Megabass in case anyone cared :lol: :lol:

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:42 am

The reality is that spybaiting is a new universe, so people won't reply if they dont have a good answer! Let us know your experience.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 am

I think the 702 my be a little to stiff for 6 lb FC I would rather go with a 701 as I know I won't have a problem with breaking off fish or casting issues.

I have two rods I am currently using. I'm using a 7' Steez XT MR with 6 lb line and for casting with more distance I have started using a Cronos 7'6" MML spinning rod. The extra length allows me to throw these baits a long ways and I don't have an issue with hooks sets as the longer rod allows me to pull more line.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:35 pm

If i don't like the feel of the megabass with these baits I will probably go the 701 route.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:15 pm

I use a few rods none that i'd call specific spybait rods (unless the steez 7'6 ags unicorn is). But all work well.
I don't like fast action drop shot rods for them...As drop shot sticks tend to have flimsy tips that don't recover with much real energy to get any good distance.

I also swap out the trebles for owner singles in size 2 and 4

I'd just pic a stick with a nice deep bend that loads easily..if you have a quality sensitive light and long crankin stick...or japanese seabass rods if you want something fancy...that would be great. And use a smooth casting stroke. Over casting spybaits will make them tumble.

I like slower action rods not just to keep hooks planted.....but because of they way they seem to slurp the baits
Going to singles upped my hook to land ratio...(sizes 2 and 4)

Try the evergreen prop magic too...has a bit more action on the retrieve vs just the drop on the duo. Better suited for shallower water too.

I bought into spybaits a few years ago and bought multiple sizes and patterns from every company but storm.

Might sell em all off......I don't find the presentation/ technique very enjoyable. And it does end up drawing strikes from smaller fish and bluegills. For the effort and patience it takes to count baits down and bottom trace.....it numbs my brain :)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:25 pm

I use cheaper setups with great results. For the 80 I use: sv105/6'9" ML tfo dropshot rod (1/8-1/2, softer fast action) or a 7' ML Villain 2.0 spinning (xfast, but very soft rod) using 8lb p-line halo on casting and 10lb Sufix832 w/ 7lb FC Sniper leader on spinning.

I use a 7'medium with 10-12lb fluoro straight for the 80 G-Fix and 90, Zillion SV and or Chronarch MGL.

For both sizes I just set the drag light, I know I use heavier line, but it doesn't seem to hurt. I don't use spybaits as much now though, because the little walleye and sauger won't leave them alone. I mean like TINY fish, not even eating size, they hit it very quickly and bass don't even get a look at the bait it seems.

Another good combo for me has been a 7' medium cranking rod with the SS/SV, just need that G1 spool to come in...

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:18 pm

I noticed that the sink rate is way different on the 80g, on 8lb line that thing sinks like a brick, the straight 80 seems to be around the foot per second but I think it's more like two feet.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 pm

I use a megabass hedgehog rod. Similar to their dropshot rods with a stinger tip. I think it's great. Super sensitive and keeps fish pinned. I fish spybaits the same way I fish dropshot rigs, with braid and a fluorocarbon leader.